When is the best time of the year to dive Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good morning!

My wife and I have recently returned from Roatan where we enjoyed some awesome diving. That was in February. However, we have been told that there is a better time to dive there. When would that be? I have done some research and found that May through November is rainy season. We are looking for the best time to go for the best possible conditions. We went to CoCo View Resort for the dive trip with friends.

Thanks in advance!

I thought rainy season started there a little later in the year, say around September. But I could be mistaken.

My wife and I were at Anthony's Key last year the last week of April and it was fantastic.

I was there in Mid-July last summer and was not impressed. That could have been due to the fact that prevailing NE winds had us sheltering on the other side of the island, fairily close to shore, for many of the dives.

November is the historical highest rainfall.
Oct thru Dec are generally wet. Christmas/NY/January is always a crap shoot.

During the regular Caribbean Tropical Storm season, August > November, most storms that track anywhere near, usually bypass 60-80 miles to the North. That will cause heavy wind and wave on the West and North sides. Diving there is not doable, but these are random events and not constant.

The trade winds start piping up in March>June bringing Easterly winds that hit the South Side, causing a regular 2-3’ running sea. Diving continues.

ALL diving off of Roatan is ‘fairly close to shore’. On the West/North, the reef presents 1/4-1/3 mile out, on the South Side it begins 100’ off.

I really enjoy May > August. Lots of things spawning, eating, and being eaten.

@wlecyt40 , you were at my favorite place. I suggest you go back and look at a different moment in the cycle of marine reef life!

I’ve been to the island every year during rainy season since 07.. and yes, it’s a toss if the coin for rainfall, but we still dive unless torrential and it’s still great during those periods unless the rain has been persistent for days on end.

I've been there in June and Sept. Visibility has been great on those trips with maybe a real short shower or three over the two week periods. The local DM's I spoke to liked Sept the best for the best chance of the best visibility. Hotter temps and generally fewer tourists, so you can get some good dive & stay specials around then too. Trying mid-May this year.

I've heard good things about CCV.

I was just there last September (2021). I stayed in the West End and loved it! It was hot and sunny (and dry) every day. Can't wait to return, since it is such a great value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom