When is it okay to exceeding training limits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never heard of a boat checking your certs on the boat on the way to a site - before you leave yes - on the dock maybe - never on the boat... have you run into this or are you saying this as an exaggeration to make a point?

I have a friend that was on a charter for 2 tank dive. If I remember right from the time he booked it to dive day the destination changed I think because of sea conditions . The charter did not notify anyone till they were underway. First stop was supposed to be 40' and new loc was 110'. He asked about the change and said he did not have deep or AOW and they did not let him off the boat for dive one. He was pissed. No refund

I have a friend that was on a charter for 2 tank dive. If I remember right from the time he booked it to dive day the destination changed I think because of sea conditions . The charter did not notify anyone till they were underway. First stop was supposed to be 40' and new loc was 110'. He asked about the change and said he did not have deep or AOW and they did not let him off the boat for dive one. He was pissed. No refund

Did they also refuse to let him dive?

He asked about the change and said he did not have deep or AOW and they did not let him off the boat for dive one. He was pissed. No refund

Ok - so he spoke up - they were not checking certs on the boat. I can live with that - I would have dove - but that is me.

When is OK to exceed my training? Whenever I think it's a good idea. That's how I learn. It doesn't cost a dime and the lessons are really remembered.

But the wrecks at 300 are freakin' AWESOME!!!

Only if done on air........

Only if done on air........

......and then at 200m you will realise that you have not configured Andriod the way you wanted and then you die.

If you descended really fast, you might make it to 300' on air, but I doubt very much you could make it to 200m let alone have time to ponder your Android configuration.

In any case, this would not be a DIR or a DW² dive :)

I am told by someone that had gone through it - once you reside yourself to the fact you are going to drown - it is very peaceful almost serene - very much like diving.

I've heard some similar stories (along with stories of being calm but very sad), but none of the people telling those stories know how they would have felt 30 or 60 seconds later. I've also heard that almost drowning can be very unpleasant. Unfortunately for our inquiries, the people who finish the job are never talk about what is was like.

that is my hypothesis - am I way off?
I don't know enough about deco to offer an authoritative answer, but here's my hypothesis: I'm pretty sure that for ongassing your breathing rate will never be more important than time unless you can hold your breath for a really really long time*. Either way, you can't ongas very much in a 60 second descent even to 130'. OTOH, if the NDL is only 5 minutes the 60 second descent is a significant portion of your total dive time and the average pressure for the 60 seconds was 3 ATA. Figure 3 "ATA minutes" out of 28 "ATA minutes" (1x3 + 5x5) is just over 10%. Whether returning quickly to the surface, or doing a multi-level dive with a much longer ascent, I don't want to be right up against the NDL when I get to the safety stop, and definitely not when I surface.

Whether by my own calculations or the uncertainty of deco theory, if I'm going to reach my safety stop within a minute or two of the point at which bending becomes likely I've got a strong preference for the point that's a minute or two before it's likely.

* Even after descending 30' after your last breath, have you ever tried to exhale and there was nothing left to come out? Even the last breath at the surface has more N2 than yu can absorb during the descent; even descending with "empty" lungs means a residual volume that has a fair amount of N2.

So how much N2 is absorbed during a dive and how much does it take to do damage? An AL80 holds almost 2200 liters, so that's a bit over 1700 liters of N2. Just 1/1000 of that N2 is 1.7 liters. Typical adult blood volume is about 5.5 liters, so I'm highly confident that 1.7 liters worth of bubbles is enough for a real whopper of a case of DCS. That tells me that there's no recreational profile that will allow a significant portion (significant relative to the total volume: there's obviously enough for DCS) of the N2 you inhale to actually be absorbed, and that means breathing rate can't be a big factor.

What is the other thread about the effect of breathing rate on on/off gassing?

I've heard some similar stories (along with stories of being calm but very sad), but none of the people telling those stories know how they would have felt 30 or 60 seconds later. I've also heard that almost drowning can be very unpleasant. Unfortunately for our inquiries, the people who finish the job are never talk about what is was like.

+1 to very unpleasant been there twice as a kid, my cousin rescued me the 1st time or there would not have been a second. I was out of strength and unable to get my head above water when he grabbed me. The 2nd time was a self rescue as all the adults in the family looked on thinking I was playing and did nothing. I was able bounce off the bottom and bob my way to shallow water. Neither time was pleasant.

You have to ask yourself when will you draw the line?

Diving 10 feet deeper than what your trained to do is one thing, diving in an overhead environment is quite another. For me the answer is simple...even if I feel that I can easily exceed my training limits (I Dont).

- If you make a mistake what is the potential cost and what is the gain? (Potentially more than gear and a course)
- If you want to increase/change your depth/type of diving what will it cost and what will you gain?

There are no scuba police out there, but you and your family are the ones that will have to live with the results of your decision.

NEVER EVER EVER go on a "trust me dive".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom