When is dive equipment considered old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I purchased my dive gear in 2006( Scuba Pro), I used for about 2 years when I lived in Northern California and dove more often. I live in Denver, CO and having been diving only on vacations but, I'm getting back into diving more often and would like some feedback. I assume the dive shops would let me know when my gear needs to be upgraded. I don't care about having the latest and greatest just safe and functional :) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Amy

I used my first BCD for close to 15 years, still kinda looks new, and nothing wrong with it. Only reason I replaced it was because I wanted a back inflate. Still using my 20 year old reg set and my LDS owner says no reason for me to get a new one yet. Of course, traveling to dive nowadays, it would be nice to have something that weighs less.

And I know guys that have BCD's that look like something that came out of a rag bin, still working great.

A lot of my gear dates to my certification in 2005. If gear is serviced, it isn't really "old". To me, gear is old when you can't get it serviced any more :)

One pair of fins are from the early 1970's as is one of my masks (not really used these days).
My dive computer is from 1992 as are 2 of my regs and my first stage.
My BC sprung a leak when it was about 18 years old and the wife made me get rid of it. Switched to a Zeagle express, great for traveling.
I don't consider my gear old or vintage as it is as good as you can buy today and as long as I can still get it serviced I will continue to use it.

Yes I am sure the shop would love you to buy ney gear.
If you like it and can get it serviced stick with it.

As long as you can get it serviced and it works properly, it is not too old. Some brands or models can be difficult to have serviced because some parts are no longer available. If you DIY, even most of the models that parts are not available as a factory kit can be serviced with a little parts hunting, otherwise there is no reason to replace a reg from an age point of view. If you have a low end model then you might consider upgrading the second stage to a better performing one but that has nothing to do with age. Just be cautious when discussing this with dive shops. There are some upstanding shops that will be honest with you but there are others that will tell you the regs are not servicable or dangerous for no other reason than to make a sale. Bottom line, it you can service it, there is no reason not to dive it.

2006 is not old. there is precious little in the ScubaPro line that doesn't have service parts available. Honestly, list the equipment here, and you will get an honest answer of its status. From that, seek out a qualified (ethical) shop to get it ready for you.

According to some, gear is "defunct" when a new model arrives..
Personally I intend to keep mine as long as its functional. Especially the expensive stuff like drysuit, regs, computers (which BTW I replaced after 6 years because it started eating batteries and the IR port died) and not least the photo gear that has cost me more than a half decent 2nd hand car...

Of course shelf life of gear is limited. So not using the dive gear for a couple of years is not doing it any good. So while not old in terms of years, it might be in terms of maintenance.
The only thing we had trouble with was a Sherwood regulator for which no parts could be found in our country as there is no dealer anymore. And very recently I dumped a Mares Proton Metal regulator that could be serviced, but was to far gone with corrosion on the metal parts. So it wasn't sure that it wouldn't start leaking again after an expensive service, so I ditched that one too. And of course there was my wives neoprene dry suit that was leaking on so many places after 14 years en 900 dives that it had to be replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom