When is a skill "mastered"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In education, the idea of mastery is slightly different from the way it is used by the general population. PADI's use of the term is consistent with that usage:
During confined and open water dives, mastery is defined as performing the skill so it meets the stated performance requirements in a reasonably comfortable, fluid, repeatable manner as would be expected of a diver at that certification level.

BoulderJohn put PADI's definition here. I think I prefer NAUI's stand, which is to define a minimum skills set and then encourage instructors to take it up a notch, if I get it right. It's obvious to me that PADI's requirement to achieve "Mastery" leaves the definition open to interpretation, and allows folk to crap all over PADI's instructional methods because of it.

To my knowledge PADI doesn't define mastered. Sort of like advertising "our Pizza tastes best". If criteria for taste isn't defined, it can't be proven one way or the other.
If you want PADI's definition ff mastery, either look it up alphabetically in your most recent copy of the General Standards and Procedures or look at the portion of the definition I quoted in post #19.
BoulderJohn put PADI's definition here. I think I prefer NAUI's stand, which is to define a minimum skills set and then encourage instructors to take it up a notch, if I get it right. It's obvious to me that PADI's requirement to achieve "Mastery" leaves the definition open to interpretation, and allows folk to crap all over PADI's instructional methods because of it.

In my past roles as an educator, I have not only had to perform performance evaluations, I have had to teach others how to perform them. PADI uses that process up to a certain point. When the process is done correctly, it is stunningly accurate. The problem is that it begins to lose accuracy over time if the process is not done correctly. The problem can be seen in this thread by all the people saying what mastery means to them. This will be a long post as I try to describe a somewhat complicated process.

Let's begin with the fact that any attempt to define a rigidly precise nature of a properly performed performance in MOST (not all) performance assessments is foolish, for it really can't be done, and the attempt to do so will mask the truly subjective nature of the definition behind a façade of objectivity. All professional organizations that do this kind of assessment regularly know this and don't even try to do so. Let's take the College Board, for example, in their assessment process for open questions for SAT and Advanced Placement exams. Anyone looking at the scoring criteria for those exams for the first time would ask, "How can you possibly score anything accurately with such vague and general descriptors?" Yet AP exam open questions are scored to the same number on a 1-9 scale by two different assessors more than 90% of the time. This ability of two different assessors to give the same score on a performance assessment is called inter-rater reliability.

High levels of inter-rater reliability are achieved through the training process, which is sometimes referred to as calibration. It is a process by which all assessors' individual definitions of mastery at that level become consistent. It takes surprisingly little time. The new assessor is asked to score a number of performances that have previously been scored by experts. After each attempt, their score is compared to the expert score, and that score is explained. Before long they are consistently giving the same sores as the experts. I have seen many Advanced Placement workshops in which AP teachers (not the national assessors) are shown the scoring system and go through a mini-version of the assessor training. They pretty much have it down after a little more than an hour of training. They now have in their heads a common image of mastery at that performance level to which they can compare new student performances accurately.

As you can see, the training process for instructors in every scuba agency I know is roughly the same. They have supposedly been given the same kind of training so that they will have approximately the same concept of mastery as other instructors. The problem comes with what follows.

As time passes, the accuracy of assessors begins to slip. Some will start to score items too high, and some will start to score them too low. Organizations like the College Board constantly monitor assessor performance to guard against this. If an assessor begins to stray from the scores other assessors are giving too far or too often, or if they begin to inaccurately score expert-scored items that have been placed among the items to be scored as a way of testing assessor accuracy, they are pulled out of the assessor group and "recalibrated."

The only way scuba agencies can do this is by having Course Directors (or the equivalent) monitor instructor behavior and take aside for retraining those who are not performing appropriately. I worked in a shop that did this. That means that a shop must have someone at that level of training on the staff with the paid time to monitor instructor performance. That is a very expensive proposition, and shops that are struggling to get by cannot afford it. In the case of small shops and independent instructors, it simply does not happen. To do it effectively world-wide would be an enormously expensive process, and I can't see it happening.

And so that is what happens with scuba. In time many instructors slip and need recalibration. You see it in this thread, as one instructor after another claims to have a different definition of mastery from others. It is true of all agencies.

Here is a real-life story of what can happen when such processes are not followed. A nearby elementary school participated in the annual science fair, and they decided to make a big deal of it at the 6th grade level. They brought in 16 science experts from the community to act as judges, telling them to score student performances on a 100 point scale, but giving little to no instruction of what it meant at that level. Each student performance was judged by 3 of these experts, and the student's final score was an average of the three. One student had worked incredibly hard and produced an exemplary product. Two of the three judges gave him a perfect 100 score, and the general comments were that the project might be capable of being the state champion. The third judge gave it the highest score of all the students he judged--60, with no explanation of why. As a consequence, the student's average score fell below the minimum level to advance to the next level of competition. This one judge had decided that "mastery" meant a performance at the college level, and so no 6th grader could possibly make the grade. None of the students he judged moved on to the next level of competition.

If you want PADI's definition ff mastery, either look it up alphabetically in your most recent copy of the General Standards and Procedures or look at the portion of the definition I quoted in post #19.

Thanks, my bad for not checking that out. To get nitpicky, I guess some would question if "reasonably comfortable.......manner".... may not constitute real mastery?

Thanks, my bad for not checking that out. To get nitpicky, I guess some would question if "reasonably comfortable.......manner".... may not constitute real mastery?

Please read my entire post for an explanation of the meaning of the word mastery as it pertains to education.

Every Major League baseball team employs scouts to look for future talent for their teams. These scouts look for the degree to which prospective players achieve mastery in baseball skills. If the team were using scouts who looked for "true mastery" rather than mastery at that level of development, then the scouts would universally report that there was no one worth signing, and the team would never have any prospects in the farm system.

Words have different meanings depending upon their context. The idea that mastery means perfection in skills is one acceptable use of the word in the English language, but it is not applicable to performance assessment. The word mastery is used in performance assessment to apply to control of skills at a certain level of development.

You have 200-499 dives by your profile, a nice number by anyone's standards, and I would consider you an experienced diver. You dive the cold cold waters of Nova Scotia, but I believe you spend at least some time in the winter in North Florida. I have over 6,000 dives, which would make me an expert in many eyes, and I grew up and dived in Maine. I think the last time was in 1996, but I could be mistaken. I own a drysuit. I use it when the water temp goes below about 80. I don't dive it much, because I'm just miserable when my face and hands get cold, but I'm more miserable in gloves.

I have mastery level skills in buoyancy, but not in a drysuit. I can take my mask off and swim around with eyes open comfortably, maybe more comfortably than you do, but not in cold water. I'm very happy swimming around a wreck in 250 feet of water, without a mask, and can shoot a bag from the bottom (if my reel is long enough) and have it inflate 10 times out of 10. I would say that I have achieved mastery of certain skills, and could work on others if mastery of those skills was important to me. You have mastery of skills I will never use, but could fumble through without too much drama.

I don't expect an OW student to have my buoyancy skills, or your drysuit skills, or not to be fumblefingered while wearing gloves, but that doesn't mean that they haven't mastered the skills needed to dive at the level they are diving. If a person with 10-20 dives sinks slowly to the bottom or raises 10 feet in the water column while clearing their mask, I don't consider that a failure of the skill. It takes time to be able to take your mask off, and tell minute pressure changes with your ears alone (I'm always amazed when I take my mask off, adjust the strap, put it back on and clear it and I'm in the same place as I was when I started) and control your buoyancy with your breath.

Mastery (in the dive instruction world) does not imply perfection to me. It implies being where you're supposed to be for the training and experience you have.

I completely agree with you, Frank, and I think John does, too. Where we get into trouble is that, when we accept that an OW student should demonstrate mastery AT THAT LEVEL, we open the door for a very variable interpretation of how much deviation from ideal performance should be tolerated.

The OW student who slowly sinks to the bottom while clearing a mask is not going to fail the class. What about the student who can't begin the skill until they are solidly planted on the bottom? What about the student who rises all the way to the surface while doing it, and then says, "How did I get here?"

On the fourth open water dive, the student is expected to do a descent without reference. Ideally, this would be controlled in speed, the student would remain aware of his buddy, and he would arrest the descent before hitting the bottom. Do you pass the student who hits the bottom? The one who dumps his BC, plummets down, and doesn't begin to inflate until he's down? How about the student who falls on her back, but remains calm throughout? At what point do you decide that the performance simply isn't good enough, and needs to be redone?

I've seen too many people (myself included) passed out of OW because they managed to do the skills without either panicking or drowning. They passed simply because they were calm. I don't honestly think "smoothly and repeatably, in the manner of an OW student" means "can get through skill without panicking". But people just rarely get failed or remanded for remediation out of OW, unless they just don't finish the class.

I completely agree with you, Frank, and I think John does, too. Where we get into trouble is that, when we accept that an OW student should demonstrate mastery AT THAT LEVEL, we open the door for a very variable interpretation of how much deviation from ideal performance should be tolerated.

On the fourth open water dive, the student is expected to do a descent without reference. Ideally, this would be controlled in speed, the student would remain aware of his buddy, and he would arrest the descent before hitting the bottom. Do you pass the student who hits the bottom? The one who dumps his BC, plummets down, and doesn't begin to inflate until he's down? How about the student who falls on her back, but remains calm throughout? At what point do you decide that the performance simply isn't good enough, and needs to be redone?

In theory, all the acceptable and unacceptable variations in those skills should be covered during the instructor development process. The course director training the prospective instructor is supposed to go through all of that.

Does it happen? During the Instructor Examination (IE), the prospective instructor is put in situations in which he or she has to demonstrate random skills or evaluate students on random skills, with the students presenting failure points that the prospective instructor is supposed to pick out. They do not do all skills in the IE, hoping that the risk that any skill might be assessed will push course directors to cover every one of them thoroughly during the IDC.

It is up to the leadership level of the agency to make sure that instructors are thoroughly instructed on what constitutes mastery before the IE. I had a very thorough IDC, and I did well on the IE, but I had an anxious moment when I got the list of skills I was going to have to demonstrate. It included a skill I had never heard of. Fortunately my course director was on hand, and I asked him what it was. He didn't know either, and he ran off to find out. He came back to tell me it was a skill that had been newly introduced to the Rescue Diver course, and he had missed the notice a few months before that it might be included in upcoming IEs. He briefly described it to me just before I was called on to demonstrate it. The first time I ever heard a complete description of the purpose and technique of the skill were when I explained it to my "students" while being evaluated. The first time I ever saw it done was when I demonstrated it for them. Fortunately, it was not a difficult skill and I did well.

The OW student who slowly sinks to the bottom while clearing a mask is not going to fail the class. What about the student who can't begin the skill until they are solidly planted on the bottom? What about the student who rises all the way to the surface while doing it, and then says, "How did I get here?"

If that person has a card, they have been ripped off by the instructor, who didn't follow agency standards in my opinion. If that person is a student, they need to repeat OW 5 until they pass the skill without being firmly planted on the bottom.

We watch who books with us. Of course we watch who books with us, but we watch the ones who ask for more than 16# of lead extra close. We do not ask how many dives in the past year, nor do we ask how heavy someone is, although I'm sure that the crew would giggle at the responses, that's why we don't ask. If someone comes on a 80/80/80 dive and asks us for 28# of lead, they better weigh about 450 or be wearing a 7 mil john and steamer. If not, they get a buoyancy lesson. You'd be shocked and amazed at how badly the crew gets fought with if we don't do things the way their instructor told them to. If we ask a diver to start with 12# of lead, their instructor told them they needed 20. If we explain that they might need 20 in a quarry in PA in the winter, nope, they need 20. They are back on the boat in 20 (a 20 for 20 diver?) complaining about how much air their buddy uses.

I do a lot of buoyancy training. Mastering a skill in a quarry is a lot different than mastering one in the Dry Tortugas.

I do a lot of buoyancy training. Mastering a skill in a quarry is a lot different than mastering one in the Dry Tortugas.

In the editing process for the article we wrote on teaching buoyancy in OW classes, Karl Shreeves of PADI added a sentence that said that if skills are introduced to divers on their knees, they need to be then taught while neutral, hopefully "within the same training session."

I don't think there is any question that the most poorly taught skill at the OW level in general is buoyancy. I am very glad that PADI has announced an emphasis on this will be part of the new OW standards to be implemented next year.

Please read my entire post for an explanation of the meaning of the word mastery as it pertains to education.

Every Major League baseball team employs scouts to look for future talent for their teams. These scouts look for the degree to which prospective players achieve mastery in baseball skills. If the team were using scouts who looked for "true mastery" rather than mastery at that level of development, then the scouts would universally report that there was no one worth signing, and the team would never have any prospects in the farm system.

Words have different meanings depending upon their context. The idea that mastery means perfection in skills is one acceptable use of the word in the English language, but it is not applicable to performance assessment. The word mastery is used in performance assessment to apply to control of skills at a certain level of development.

Point taken. "At that level of development" attatched to "mastery" is understandable. With 49 years of playing clarinet, 2 degrees in it, etc. I still don't consider that I've mastered it, as there are thousands (or more) that play better than me. I guess I was just imposing my own ideas of mastery regarding dive skills, as opposed to the standards. If you put me in a drysuit and under the ice I would have less mastery of at least some of the skills, considering I don't own a drysuit and have not ice dived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom