When has DIR training resulted in a "save"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
a better metric might be how many CF-free dives you've had where there was no need for a 'save'.

Hank49:
??????? speak american.

"A better metric" = a good comparison
"how many CF-free dives you've had" = the number of problem-free dives you've had (CF = cluster + word that rhymes with duck and starts with an F)

I think the rest you can figure out. He was saying that since the whole idea behind DIR is to prevent problems before they happen then it would be better to look at the good dives vs. the ones with problems.

Meng_Tze:
What happened is that my mouth piece had come off of the backup reg and I was just sitting there in the water with a mouthpiece and a bungee.

Just out of curiosity Meng, did you have the bungee secured by trapping it between the cable tie and the mouthpiece? Or was it just a normal "looped" bungee strap with the mouthpiece held in the looped portion?

lamont:
since a lot of GUEs methodologies are about preventing CFs before they happen, a better metric might be how many CF-free dives you've had where there was no need for a 'save'.

Sounds like someone has been through some type of process improvement training.

Metric= a standard by which things are measured

By the way I agree most "saves" happen at the gear check before you get in the water.

onfloat:
Sounds like someone has been through some type of process improvement training.

Metric= a standard by which things are measured

Where I work, if you can't measure it and get a number, it isn't worth trying to fix.

:banghead:

Kriterian,
It is zip tie type........bungee under

All,
I agree that better metrics would be to poll for good DIR dives. But then, as it seems we want to, if you want to get really scientific about this. Polling good dives v.s Bad dives and assessing where DIR comes in also does not play. You have no base line......

Seems to me that people try to make too much out of the question of examples of how DIR saved the day...? To me it works, makes sense and makes me personally a safer diver with knowledge on skills, and that my buddy knows what to do when the S't hits the fan. To others it may not apply, fine with me.

I find it amazing how this topic always seems to raise temperatures and emotions (both to subscribers of DIR andf those who don't)

This recent post is an example of where DIR-F training on valve manipulations came in handy:

DIR-F graduate of 2 years ago:
You gotta be able to reach your valve(s).

For the second time in my diving (330-something dives) I entered the water, purged the BC, started my descent, took a breath and got nothing. Pretty scary.

I kicked up, was bobbing and caught about 4 or 5 breaths between swells, orally inflated the BC, reached back, turned on my gas, and continued the dive
Another positive outcome that came about as a result of good training.

(DIR-F training was before the latest valve-off entry, unclear whether he had DIR-F training before or after the other valve-off entry)

DIR-F graduate of 2 years ago:
"DIR/F was an amazing weekend for me. Thanks for your time before the class, and all the time after the class.

DIR divers aren't death-proof. But as a product of 2 major agancies going into DIR/F, I sure came out with a different look at my diving, at safety, at equipment, at fitness and a newfound respect for this endeavor.

I recognize that one of the goals of DIR is to prevent a bad situation from ever happening in the first place. Maybe people can also share with us about situations when, if it were not for their DIR training, it most likely would have resulted in a Charlie Foxtrot. I would call this "a save".

So, this now encompasses both emergent situations that were remedied, as well as, situations that could have but never did go bad. Both situations result in a positive outcome as a result of DIR training.

No one is keeping any kind of score. I just thought that people would enjoy hearing about these positive outcomes that came about as a result of good training.

Christian

Prior to DIRF I was believed, I was fine because:
- I'm a non-smoker
- I'm only slightly overweight, along with a poor diet
- I occasionally exercise
- I conserved my air by breathing through my snorkel prior to dives
- I knew how to lift my fin if I had a cramp
- I could get neutral once I was on the wreck
- I'm diving less than 130' and have three to five min. saftey stops
- my computer isn't bleeping and well within it's time frame
- my MOD is within my depth limit
- the air/nitrox in my tank was at half when I did the turn around inside the wreck
The next logical course for me was the tech/rec. Right?

This list shows how naive I was. In combination, I think I was ready for intervention!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom