When exhale, the air hurts my ears...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ great for fogging up that mask, too...

SparticleBrane:
^ great for fogging up that mask, too...

hmm... i am constantly clearing my mask (blowing air into it through my nose)
and i have no fogging problems

Is that the thing that they used to sell in the Mar-vel catalog as the "scuba queen" or some such?

H2Andy:
i'm wondering .... how do the bubbles make your ears hurt?
it's not the bubbles directly but the pressure they create as they pass buy the ears....my brother is also very sensitive to exhaled bubbles and gets constant ear aches from them rushing by his ears and creating a pressure difference for a few seconds (bubbles are hollow and air) then back to the full depth pressure, the pressure oscillation can be painful

his solution was to wear a beanie (1 or 3 mm hood) at all times even when in warm tropical waters and of course a full hood in colder ON waters.

since a double hose reg was not a very $$$ viable solution, the $35 for a beanie was a lot better

hoods_gh30v_sm.gif
from Henderson USA

Bubbles hurt my ears too. (that makes 3 of us). However, the only time I have problems is when I wear a hood! With the hood, I have come to the conclusion that the bubbles get caught in the hood causing my ears to think I am above water and they open, then the air escapes and the cold water rushes in. By the end of the dive the sound of the bubbles rising hurts. My only solution is to dive in warm tropical waters!

Tamas:
it's not the bubbles directly but the pressure they create as they pass buy the ears....my brother is also very sensitive to exhaled bubbles and gets constant ear aches from them rushing by his ears and creating a pressure difference for a few seconds (bubbles are hollow and air) then back to the full depth pressure, the pressure oscillation can be painful

interesting stuff, thanks

The bubbles hurt my ears as they come out of my ears. This is especially true when I'm equalizing - the air just shoots out of my ears. What am I doing wrong?

I find that the pressure of the bubbles passing my ears hurts as well. I also noticed that its only when I exhale hard. I do a slow inhale, hold, and exhale cycle when I'm not ascending, and the all-at-once exhale does it to my ears. I'm diving Monterey 52F water and I have a 5/7mm drysuit hood and it still does it. ( I don't know if it doesn't otherwise, I'm not brave enough to dive without a hood here :wink: ) I find that if I make sure my mask strap is directly over my ears, it holds the neoprene down and doesn't allow it to percuss against my ears as the bubble pass.

As to the rebreather: I would love a rebreather!! I just have too many other expensive hobbies. My wife would bury me in the backyard if I just showed her the base price on one. :)

Well, last weekend I made 4 dives, on the first I didn't wear my new beanie, and sure enough my left ear went to hurting within the first 3-5 minutes of the dive. The rest of that dive I ended up cupping my ear to rid myself of the pain.

Dives 2-4 went very well w/ minimal pain, as I actually wore my beanie! So the beanie idea does help alot. Now there's another drawback with the beanie, it makes the top of my head really hot, LOL! Guess I need to put a small cut in the top to vent it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom