When exhale, the air hurts my ears...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok so here's the deal. I'm a new diver, and so far I've only logged 5 dives but, when I exhale, the bubbles pass my ears and after a few minutes it makes my ears hurt. I've tried using ear plugs but they just make me feel dizzy when my dive is complete.

What I'm wanting to know, is, are there any products out there that just cover the ear so that the bubbles can't access the ear? Or is there something else simple that I can do?

Thanks, Frank

You could try a hood.

It doesn't have to be a thick hood either. I wear a microprene hood in the Carribean. Not so much for thermal protection as for solar.

You have already been given the hood as a good way to go. You could also look at the Pro Ear Mask as an option.

i'm wondering .... how do the bubbles make your ears hurt?

H2Andy:
i'm wondering .... how do the bubbles make your ears hurt?

Ditto... why would bubbles hurt your ears when you exhale?

Perhaps the hood is a little too snug around the ears causing squeeze, but this shouldn't matter on exhaling? But if this is the problem, just get some water in there at the beginning of the dive...

- ChillyWaters

I hadn't even thought about the hood option, I'll see about getting one.

Well, the equalization isn't the problem. I suppose my ears are just sensitive, I'm not sure if it's the noise of the bubbles passing my ears, or if the bubbles are just going into my ears. The noise option makes more sense to me though. I'm real sensitive to loud noises anyway, so the hood would muffle the sound atleast.

I'm not really sure what kind of ear plugs these are, my LDS sold them to me, they came in a clear case and fit inside the whole ear area (they come in red and clear as far as I saw), they were actually fit to my ear. And they do have a small hole in the center of them.

Thanks for your suggestions I'll note them all for my next dive =)

frankc420:
Ok so here's the deal. I'm a new diver, and so far I've only logged 5 dives but, when I exhale, the bubbles pass my ears and after a few minutes it makes my ears hurt. I've tried using ear plugs but they just make me feel dizzy when my dive is complete.

What I'm wanting to know, is, are there any products out there that just cover the ear so that the bubbles can't access the ear? Or is there something else simple that I can do?

Thanks, Frank

Ear plugs could do serious and permanent damage to your ears. Stop using them immediately (unless they are specifically made for scuba diving). I'll second the thin hood idea. A nice light 3mm beany would do the trick and help keep in a bit more warmth.

frankc420:
I'm not really sure what kind of ear plugs these are, my LDS sold them to me, they came in a clear case and fit inside the whole ear area (they come in red and clear as far as I saw), they were actually fit to my ear. And they do have a small hole in the center of them.
It sounds like these may be the vented docs proplugs, if that's what they are they're normally ok to dive with. But certainly not if they make you feel dizzy.

I think you need to try and describe better what you mean when you say the bubbles make your ears hurt. It's hard to imagine bubbles passing by doing this, or the sound of bubbles doing this (they're not that loud, I'd think your ears would hurt all the time in real life if that much sound hurt.) Maybe the bubble thing is a red herring and this has nothing to do with the bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom