When does "Gas Management" get taught?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a brief exposure to SAC rate and gas management in my OW class, but my AOW instructor really spent some time and explained it in detail. He made my dive buddy and me calculate our SAC rates and then plan our dives according to how much gas we had. He took us step by step thru the process until we understood it and could get it right, then we had to dive the plan. I think I got lucky and had great instructors, I got everything I paid for and then some.

Tavi are you listening?

So, why don't one of you guru's publish a booklet on it.......I'm sure you guys can make a small profit for ScubaBoard alone.........

My first foray into Gas Management was in the Deep Diver manual of my SSI AOW. I don't think i've ever seen it in the Padi curriculum.

ShakaZulu:
So, why don't one of you guru's publish a booklet on it.......I'm sure you guys can make a small profit for ScubaBoard alone.........

What part of gas management are you most interested in learning?

I'd be up for posting something to help further the conversation.

~ Jason

darkpup:
What part of gas management are you most interested in learning?

I'd be up for posting something to help further the conversation.

~ Jason

I think it should be comprehensive, I think it was Lamont who posted a very good thread on Rock Bottom times a while ago. You guys should get together.

ShakaZulu:
I think it should be comprehensive, I think it was Lamont who posted a very good thread on Rock Bottom times a while ago. You guys should get together.

Roakey also had a good post that I now use as a handout in OW class.

What our (PADI) LDS does is to offer an additional "extracurricular" lesson (free) after completion of the normal OW classroom lessons but beofre the checkout dives. Attendance of this extra session is usually near 100%. In this extra lesson, they do a pretty comprehensive job of explaining NDL gas management including complete explanation of turnaround, rock bottom, cu ft to psi and back, sac calculation and adjustment for conditions, with exercises and examples showing how these principles relate back to rules-of-thumb like "bring 500 back to the boat" and "rule-of-thirds". They also demonstrate and explain techniques, equipment and dive scenarios typically encountered in dives this part of the atlantic coast.

I learned basic gas management as part of PADI AOW. It wasn't taught as we had absolutely no classroom time, and never discussed the knowledge reviews that I gave the instructor.
(Before anybody chimes in with "standards violation", yes, it probably was, but I got what I wanted out of AOW. I did AOW in the Fl Keys starting with something like dive #10, and AOW course was an easy way to get the additional supervised bottom time that I needed at that point).

My OW instructor (2 day course) taught me the very basic and functional rock bottom rule for AL80 and direct ascent to the surface--- 100 psi per 10' of depth, but never less than 500.

That OW instructor also taught me the very basic rule that if you start back at 1/2 a tank, go directly back rather than meandering, and stay shallower than you went out, you'll get back with gas to spare.

"100psi per 10' for ascent pressure", and "at 1/2 tank go directly back while shallower" aren't very sophisticated, but neither are the dives I do.

ShakaZulu:

These two posts:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=735077&postcount=33
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=735083&postcount=34

The first post in that thread is exactly the kind of incident that I see repeated over and over again on this board and why I think there needs to be better gas management training in BOW and AOW...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom