When does "Gas Management" get taught?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
I think it should be comprehensive, I think it was Lamont who posted a very good thread on Rock Bottom times a while ago. You guys should get together.

I'll check this evening, but I'm pretty sure 5thd-x has some documentation on this that might be valuable. If nothing else, I'll see if I can get AG to write something up.

~ Jason

I teach gas management in OW. And deep diving. And Nitrox. And advanced Nitrox. And Navigation. And spearfishing. And Rescue. And ...
Every class should include the gas management appropriate to it.
Rick

jonnythan:
What exactly were you taught?

Looking back at my logbook I was taught SAC and turning pressures in my OW course (and nitrox, and AOW, and Master).

A

I just grabbed my PADI "Adventures in Diving Manual" and looked to see if there was anything in the Index regarding "Gas Management" or "Dive Planning" related to gas management. Nope.

BUT, in the "Deep Diving" chapter, on page 84, there is a "sidebar" on "Air Consumption Calculation" that gives some basic information on the subject. At least I now have confirmed it isn't ignored completely!

BTW, Lamont, you quoted something I said about safety and then make the observation that a lot of accidents/incidents result from the bad planning or bad implementation. You are, of course, correct. No matter what people are taught, people WILL do what they shouldn't.

My agency teaches basic gas managment (basically a rule of thirds) at its entry level so roughly equivalent to padi OW.

The second level course (equiv of AOW & rescue) it does it properly by calculating SACs, reservers etc.

I cant speak for other agencies as im not sure.

I took OW and AOW, as Peter says, and was never exposed to these concepts beyond the sidebar he describes. If anybody remembers, I wrote some posts early on on SB asking about how to plan dives, because I was confused. I had been told to "plan my dive and dive my plan", but I had literally no clue what a dive plan was beyond, "We're going to drop down here and swim around until we have 500 psi and come up."

Then I took Bob's Gas Management seminar, which was sadly attended only by two of us. It was a huge eye opener. Wow -- there's LOGIC behind all of this. Not rule of thirds, but what are the parameters of the dive you are doing, and how do they affect how you plan your gas supply? Is this a dive where you can use essentially all available gas, or would you rather end up back at shore, or do you HAVE to get back to the boat? How do you calculate how much gas you will use in a given dive? Do you have ENOUGH to do what you are planning? Do you have enough to get you and your buddy back to the surface from wherever you went? (This was the point where I realized that rock bottom for the 130 foot dive I did in Maui -- given all stops were made -- was more than half the gas I started out with. A sobering realization.)

Finding out that this kind of thing was taught by GUE was a big part of my desire to take Fundies. Bob's foot planted firmly in my behind was the other part :)

ShakaZulu:
So, why don't one of you guru's publish a booklet on it.......I'm sure you guys can make a small profit for ScubaBoard alone.........
Someone has ... although it's not exactly "published", and I'm not exactly selling it. I created it as part of my AOW curriculum, and I've sent copies to an awful lot of ScubaBoard members already.

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send you a copy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is a great article that Delia Milliron, GUE Instructor, wrote. It discusses the battlefield calculations for calculating SAC along with some other cool conversions.

http://www.breakthrudiving.com/pdfs/battlefieldcalc.pdf

It helped me a lot in my RecTriox class, and came in handy during part 1 of my NAUI Technical Diver course 2 weeks ago (Technical Diver = NAUI Helitrox Diver and NAUI Decompression Procedures).

~ Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom