when do you use a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
I don't carry a slung pony except on my occasion "very deep" dives. The reason is that as a videographer, it gets in my way when I'm trying to set for filming.

Interesting. I've seen Wes Skiles shoot IMAX video with multiple slung bottles and cruise in and out of caves with them... backwards. What part "gets in your way?"

When I use my old double hose. It's my safe 2nd & BC inflator.

Also On deep dives.

I haven't had it long. Time will tell.

I don't post very much as I am a new diver, but I am highly interested in this thread. I dove with a DM that had a 30cf clipped horizontal across his chest. Single reg and a short hose on this setup.
I respect the wisdom of all in this sometimes heated debate and can actually see both points of view. I understand that gas management MUST be done and I am constantly trying to get better at it, but I'm a little paranoid. Possibly with more experiance, this feeling will go away, time will tell.

For right now, I am considering going with a set-up like I described above and was wondering if anyone else had ever done something like this?

no flames please

Since your profile states you have only 0-15 dives, I have to wonder why you are worried at this point in your diving experience? DMs often plan on extra air for other divers. Not a flame.

Will be taking AOW in Aug. and I'm a little paranoid. I thought the set-up I described above might not be standard, but was interested in learning more.

It would be a better idea to learn how to manage air in a single tank before slinging a pony. Don't be paranoid about AOW; your deep dive will be in a controlled situation with an instructor. In some locales you will find a pony pretty standard. Those are usually areas where the diving is on deeper wrecks. Most recreational divers don't dive with a pony. That's where a reliable buddy comes into play because your buddy is carrying your spare air. If more air is needed, the next step is a larger cylinder for both you and your buddy. A pony adds a layer of complexity and believe it or not, there have been incidents reported on scubaboard of people with ponies running out of air twice. :)

sandjeep:
Will be taking AOW in Aug. and I'm a little paranoid. I thought the set-up I described above might not be standard, but was interested in learning more.

It's not standard and at first glance, seems like an awful idea. We spend LOTS of times trying to NOT have stuff hanging below us when we dive, both for reasons of entanglement, and for efficiency when swimming. This violates both.

At the depths you SHOULD be going to, a pony, or rather redundant air, should not be necessary. If you DO decide to use it, sling it like people have described in this thread. It will be out of the way, but there if you need it. Won't cause much drag, and you'll get used to it being there if at some point you should take up technical diving.

Bottle slung horizontally across the chest... now what does that remind me of....

PerroneFord:
Bottle slung horizontally across the chest... now what does that remind me of....

It doesn't feel anything like a bra, Peronne. :wink:

:lol:

NIiiiiice!

TheRedHead:
Since your profile states you have only 0-15 dives, I have to wonder why you are worried at this point in your diving experience? DMs often plan on extra air for other divers. Not a flame.

not taking as a flame, but i cant update my dive profile and i was just curious. im not buying one today, but it will be my next big purchase and i would like to gather as much info as possible. i barely ever dive w/ a dm or instructor, and if i did, i still would rather rely on myself then to put all of my faith into somebody that i barely ever dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom