Votes: 10 43.5%
  • To show me a new dive site

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • to reduce learning curve on new challenging dives

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my DM certification to obtain more knowlege on diving, not to hold any one one's hand. I do not get paid for being a DM. I like solo diving or diving with a couple of people that are also able to fend for themselves. To each their own. When I had to dive with students it was a PITA. When I have to go on a boat with folks I do not know I only display my advanced o/w card.

in the Philippines almost every dive is conducted with a dm. in every resort getting a dm to accompany the group is the norm.

SeaJay, we all appreciate the fact that your are probably quite a competent diver and that is great. Not all divers, especially newbies, are as familiar with local dive conditions or how to read dive conditions in new areas. DM's can offer a level of saftey and knowledge to pass on to others not as comfortable as some of us. I am glad you know everything so we can count on you. I think I had a son that knew everything but then he grew up and now he comes back to dad to help with things he learned he does not know. A day is wasted if you don't learn something new! Not trying to rag on you but there are always several points of view for every situation.
Have a great Day SeaJay and everyone else as well!!!

Spoon:
in the Philippines almost every dive is conducted with a dm. in every resort getting a dm to accompany the group is the norm.
And some divers, like me, are glad to make full use of their local knowledge of the reefs, marine life, and conditions.

Blindly relying upon a DM for basic safety is bad. Using his specific knowledge of that particular reef to enhance your dive is good.

EP3_Orion:
SeaJay, we all appreciate the fact that your are probably quite a competent diver and that is great. Not all divers, especially newbies, are as familiar with local dive conditions or how to read dive conditions in new areas. DM's can offer a level of saftey and knowledge to pass on to others not as comfortable as some of us. I am glad you know everything so we can count on you. I think I had a son that knew everything but then he grew up and now he comes back to dad to help with things he learned he does not know. A day is wasted if you don't learn something new! Not trying to rag on you but there are always several points of view for every situation.
Have a great Day SeaJay and everyone else as well!!!

Unfortunately SeaJay is no longer a member of this board.
What he was trying to say is that he has no requirement for a Divemaster and some people started taking him out of context and slagging him. He wasnt saying you, or anyone else, shouldnt use one.
You are correct in the fact that Divemasters can be a useful tool to help divers orientate to a new area and to help new divers gain confidence.
Divers that have had good training and do dive often dont need someone to hold their hand in their day to day diving and in some countries in the world divers buck if they are made to dive with a divemaster. My country is one of them.
I personally dont have a problem diving with a Divemaster (In fact my partner will be a divemaster before the end of the year), but I dont want them to hold my hand and I dont want to dive in a big group of divers.
I like to plan my own dives (in conjunction with my buddy or team of course) and dive my own plans and do my own exploring. The reason I got into diving was to explore and I can hardly do that if I am being led around by a Divemaster that has dived the site a thousand times.

However please feel free to dive with a Divemaster if you so wish :)

SeaJay:
I might feel differently if, even ONCE, I'd seen some sort of benefit in a DM.

If you had learnt to dive in my neighbourhood you probably wouldn't have seen the divemaster either. He or she would have been the diver behind your group in the crappy stirred up silt in a couple of feet of Vis, watching your back.

Yup. I am a DM. I'm older than you and I've never been paid.

Oh, the one thing you might of learnt in my neighbourhood would have been how to treat people with a little respect. And yes when I travel I tell the DM, instructor, and every other staff member on the boat that I prefer to handle my equipment myself.
There's really no need to be abusive.

I think you comments are a little out of line in a forum for new divers however passionate you are about them.

CincyBengalsFan:
Highlander (SeaJay),

As far as you being safe. You need to look Safe up in a Dictionary before you post again. Nothing in SCUBA is safe. The only thing that is safe is betting that the Raiders won't make the playoffs.

if i remember they were just in the superbowl a few years ago, when was the last time cincy was? I don't know why someone would go trash talking another NFL team when they like the bengals - lol - also this is a diving forum not a nfl one

Kevin

twinpop:
if i remember they were just in the superbowl a few years ago, when was the last time cincy was? I don't know why someone would go trash talking another NFL team when they like the bengals - lol - also this is a diving forum not a nfl one

Kevin
Well...Maybe, just maybe...if you didn't quote from a post that was entered 2 yrs ago you would of made a point. Other than that, you responded to a two yr old post that was done by a guy who was banned.

(And the same goes for you Ernesto)

JeffG:
Well...Maybe, just maybe...if you didn't quote from a post that was entered 2 yrs ago you would of made a point. Other than that, you responded to a two yr old post that was done by a guy who was banned.

I Dream Of A Better World, Where Chickens Can Cross The Road And Not Have Their Motives Questioned.. ??? :D

JeffG:

Sorry,
i saw the post and started reading it, i should check the date first.

Again sorry,
kevin

PS how did this post show up in the front of the forum?

Back
Top Bottom