When do I really need a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got2av8

Reaction score
Went for a couple of lake dives today here in sunny TX. The lowest temperature recorded on my comp. was 64 degrees at ~ 50 ft. We were at the bottom for about 30 min, with about another 10 minutes in the 20 ft/75ish degrees range.

The second dive was in the same part of the lake, with roughly the same temperatures, only this time 30 ft/70ish degrees/30 minutes. (The temps are approximate except the 64 degrees... the comp I was using only kept the lowest temp)

My two buddies were both wearing diveskins under 5mm wetsuits. I was wearing a pair of swim trunks, a long-sleeved teeshirt, and 2mm booties & gloves. My buddies had never dived without a wetsuit, and I've never dived with one.

Both my buddies were constantly asking me during the dives if I was cold, and the LDS owner was pretty vocal about how I need to buy a wetsuit soon (preferably, I think, from him :wink: ). My problem, I guess, is that I was actually quite comfortable throughout both the dives. I never noticed any signs of cold, i.e. stiffness, tiredness, etc. I was a ski instructor in high school and college, so I feel I'm pretty well aware of how cold temperatures can affect a person.

Obviously, none of my dives have been in "extreme" environments, but surface water temps in the 60s and 70s aren't that uncommon in my (admittedly thin) logbook. So at what temperatures/times should I ABSOLUTELY need a wetsuit? I know temperature/depth relations will change based on my particular location, but does anyone have a good rule of thumb? Anybody else out there make similar dives without an exposure suit? Or am I really doing something wrong?

Exposure suits are not only for the keeping warm factor - they are also used for exposure elements such as: brushing along sides of wrecks or walls, jellies, accidently bumping into objects that may cut you without a suit, etc. I find that I could probably dive without one most of the time, but I feel much better knowing that I have it on regardless - my philosophy is this: Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

remember...

your body temp is 98.6F.
whatever the temp of the water you dive in, you will lose body heat at 20x the rate on dry land.
just by losing 5-10 degrees, you could already be in early stages of hypothermia.

Of course, each person is different... I dive a shorty or a 3mm full in the caribbean (80F) If you are comfortable, then all power to you. I don't think there is an absolute number when you should be wearing what type of exposure suit. Just be careful getting yourself into a hypothermic state.

For what Scubadiverjunkie said: you could just wear a dive skin to protect yourself.

good luck.

LChan:
remember...

your body temp is 98.6F.
whatever the temp of the water you dive in, you will lose body heat at 20x the rate on dry land.
just by losing 5-10 degrees, you could already be in early stages of hypothermia.

Of course, each person is different... I dive a shorty or a 3mm full in the caribbean (80F) If you are comfortable, then all power to you. I don't think there is an absolute number when you should be wearing what type of exposure suit. Just be careful getting yourself into a hypothermic state.

For what Scubadiverjunkie said: you could just wear a dive skin to protect yourself.

good luck.

I'm not a doctor but I'd say if your body temperature dropped 10 degrees, you would be past hypothermic and borderline dead.

However, I always wear some sort of exposure protection. Whether it's diving 85* water in Florida (dive skin), or diving 51* water in NY(7mm farmer John). One thing I dislike wearing is a hood, but it does keep you much warmer than when you don't wear one.

I'd say when your dive times in colder water temps start getting a little longer, it would be a smart idea to start wearing an exposure suit. You also have to remember that slight discomfort due to the cold at 30 feet, can become a major problem at 90 feet.

I'm pretty tolerant to cold water too, but i still think it would be best if you wore a wetsuit, even if you do feel fine in the water. Remember that you are greatly increasing the risk of dcs and hypothermia. Triple L makes great wetsuits from what i've read at incredible prices, do a search here on SB and you should find plenty of links. My advice is wear at least a 3mm suit.
Be Safe.

Bear with me since I'm still 2 weeks from my OW dives. Those water temps are about as good as it gets here in Maine. Surface temps of 65 in the ocean and about 76 in fresh water and I've spent plenty of time snorkeling in that. When I used to go in the ocean around 65 it was thermal discomfort that got me out, and that was with the benefit of the sun on my back. I don't doubt that you can do the dives you described and not be cold. Not every one can but you must be one of the cold tollerant ones.

I do have to believe you're living on the edge though. I'd be worried about the time you hit an unexpected thermocline, the time there's a problem and you need to stay down or in the weter longer than planned, the time late in the season when the water is cooler than you're accustomed to and all those sort of extenuating circumstances.

These things can creep up on you, remember that water is sucking heat from you about 25 faster than air. At that rate once the balance tips things can get ugly. Assuming that you're diving your own gear then a simple full suit should do it and would be a minor additional investment. The abrasion/ sting protection is also important.

Pete

Got2av8,
I'm not going to jump up on a stump and start preaching on the use or non-use of exposure protection, I just want to highlight one point of diving "unprotected".

Hypothermia is a very, very insidious enemy and it creeps up on you very silently and very quickly.

One should never misconstrue the tolerance for cold as a resistance to hypothermia. Whether or not you feel cold, your body is losing heat, and at a very alarming rate. One who has a high tolerance to cold is the one who is most likely to succumb to the effects of hypothermia first.

Be a good dive buddy and wear some exposure protection. This may prevent your dive buddies from having to practice their rescue skills. You may even see that your gas consumption drops some.

the K

I find that the range of water temp that I am ok in without protection is so narrow that it is not worth my even thinking about diving without a suit.

I have done some very quick dives without a suit on but the key factor was the very short exposure time.

If the water is less than about 80 degrees F I want a suit on. If it is more than 85 degrees F, I will need cooling if I am doing any work.

I think that as your dive times get longer you will find you want a suit.

I have never dove without a suit. It doesnt take long for your core body temp to drop in a hurry without some sort of insulation. Diving in a suit, in my opinion, helps you to keep diving longer and more comfortably on dive vacations. NOt to mention if you have ever dove in Ramrod Key when the moon jelly fish are infiltrating the waters....

got2av8:
Went for a couple of lake dives today here in sunny TX. The lowest temperature recorded on my comp. was 64 degrees at ~ 50 ft. We were at the bottom for about 30 min, with about another 10 minutes in the 20 ft/75ish degrees range.

The second dive was in the same part of the lake, with roughly the same temperatures, only this time 30 ft/70ish degrees/30 minutes. (The temps are approximate except the 64 degrees... the comp I was using only kept the lowest temp)

My two buddies were both wearing diveskins under 5mm wetsuits. I was wearing a pair of swim trunks, a long-sleeved teeshirt, and 2mm booties & gloves. My buddies had never dived without a wetsuit, and I've never dived with one.

Both my buddies were constantly asking me during the dives if I was cold, and the LDS owner was pretty vocal about how I need to buy a wetsuit soon (preferably, I think, from him :wink: ). My problem, I guess, is that I was actually quite comfortable throughout both the dives. I never noticed any signs of cold, i.e. stiffness, tiredness, etc. I was a ski instructor in high school and college, so I feel I'm pretty well aware of how cold temperatures can affect a person.

Obviously, none of my dives have been in "extreme" environments, but surface water temps in the 60s and 70s aren't that uncommon in my (admittedly thin) logbook. So at what temperatures/times should I ABSOLUTELY need a wetsuit? I know temperature/depth relations will change based on my particular location, but does anyone have a good rule of thumb? Anybody else out there make similar dives without an exposure suit? Or am I really doing something wrong?

I'm not doubting that you are either cold-blooded or warm-blooded (how's that for diplomatic doublespeak :wink: ). As has been aptly described, you do need some "exposure" protection from pointy or otherwise abrasive things. Clay Coleman's book describes aptly the "coonass" wetsuit (jeans + long sleeve, or 70's era polyester disco outfits) for warm water diving.

If you don't want to rent a wetsuit, and if you are sized "relatively average," an off-the-shelf 3mm fullsuit can be found for less than $100, or a shorty for under $50.

I would rent a wetsuit next time you dive, though, just so you "feel" the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom