Whats your trick to keep the weight Belt from slipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need 41 pounds with 7 mil farmer john and AL80 tank in salt water. Obviously, some in BC, some on belt. Suspenders for the belt. Problem solved. Shoulder harness seems like another good idea. NO WAY EVER can I keep a belt up. Tried all the tightening tricks that squeeze your gut. With the suspenders I can have the belt as tight or loose as I want, and I can raise the belt some to offset my rock heavy legs.
Of course if usung suspenders tell a buddy to drop pocket weights.

Last edited:
Since you only have a couple of dives to your credit, I would recommend that you do some experimentation to determine if you really need what I am guessing is over 54Lbs(integrated + 40 on belt). 40 lbs on a traditional weight belt is likely to slip---- due to the compression your 7mm experiences.

If you find you really do need that amount of weight, I vote for a weight harness... or shifting some of the weight off the belt unto your legs/ankles if your legs are strong enough to handle it.. I really think that you may be overweighted and it is worth dedicating at least one or two dives to get your weight correct....

Cheers,
Roger

Get a bigger ass.

OK, seriously - its a common when diving with 7mm, 5 mm and even 3mm to a certain degree.

Once you get to depth the suit compressess and therefore the belt that was tight is now loose.

if you feel it is loose because of the suit shrinking under presssure - the only thing you can do is tighten it as you go along.

good luck - dive safe

When I am not using a weight integrated BC, I just love my DUI weight harness. That being said, most of my BCs carry weight because it's easier for me that way. More and more rentals are weight integrated too.

Odd 50lbs lead+AL80??? That about the same weight as my steel double hp120's + ss plate + regs!!

I love my SeaWolf weight harness by SeaSoft. Make sure you get the orange mesh weight pocket inserts if you use this product.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Keep the weightbelt under 25# and have hips. With an apple shape there is nothing to stop the belt from falling once it starts when you are vertical. Over 25# it becomes hard to tighten the belt properly unless you are in the water horizontal, even bending parallel to the ground and putting the belt on is a problem because the weight prevents the belt from straighting out as you tighten it so it will become loose as you stand up and start moving.

Also, that much weight on a belt around your waist will not be good on your back once in the water.

As others have said, continue to do weight checks, distribute weight around your rig, and try out the weight systms available.

Good Luck

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Here is a very cheap method that I am now using on both my drysuit and wetsuit weight belts. Get a mountain bike tube and cut some 4 to 6 inch strips and thread it on the belt between the lead and on all exposed webbing. You can even put some surfboard wax on the rubber strips to help it stick. My belt does not slide or move a bit since I did this. Some of my buddies are now doing it too. It also helps to not be vertical in the water column. As your trim gets better it will help. Because of the amount of lead that I needed, I purchased a DSS backplate with weight plates. This took about 15lbs off my belt and put it where it was needed, over my lungs.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Thanks a Mill for all the good advise. I think I am going to try first to modify my Belt so it cant slip anymore off but still can be dumped if need be. I also suspect part of my problem is a slightly to big Wetsuit with has some Air pockets thus requiring more weight then I should have to use.

Thanks again--------------Gudu

Back
Top Bottom