Votes: 8 17.0%
  • .35 - .4 cuft / min

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • > .4 cuft / min (consider doubles)

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Thought it would be fun to compare.

If you don't know how, you need a tank, (not empty, obviously) a reg with a pressure gauge and some sort of timer. (A watch will do.) Get relaxed, sit there, start timing and breathe through the reg until you've made enough of a dent in the tank to register accurately on your gauge.

Now, calculate how many cubic feet of air you just breathed and divide it by how many minutes you took to do it. That's your sac.

I was gonna say somethin dirty... but I won't...

huh?!?
I thought I was doing good for a 6'5" 230lb guy. I guess I should go buy some doubles.... darn it. I admit I am definately an air hog... looking back at computer profiles... I seem to average around .5 - .6 with my lowest ever at .43 (on a 35foot dive)

What depth is the correct depth to measure at? Obviously the deeper you go, the Higher you SAC will be.

:thinkingo

wheezy:
I was gonna say somethin dirty... but I won't...
What depth is the correct depth to measure at? Obviously the deeper you go, the Higher you SAC will be.
:thinkingo

Wheezy: :)

'SAC' is Surface Air Consumption, so your depth should be whatever it is in your living room. :)

looking at this link showing how to calculate SAC rate.

Sitting in your living room won't yield a useful number, IMO.

Rachel

What is the point of measuring your SAC rate while relaxing and doing nothing? Is it for shooting the s*#t and boasting with instructors who do it on their knees? Diving isn't a peeing contest.

A far more useful representation of your gas usage would be your average SAC rate over a variety of dives such as high current swims right down to low arobic sitting on your ass dives. Knowing this rate is for allowing you to better and more safely plan your gas requirements for your dives.

Better and more safely...Was that ok English? Not sure. Who knows

d33ps1x
PUDLI Master Cyberdiver Instructor #000001

My SAC averages .35 for typical working dives. It's a touch lower for "just for fun" dives. Occasionally my rate is higher when chasing students.

Back
Top Bottom