What's your pony bottle configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to figure out how to configure a pony bottle.

I wear a Zeagle BC, so I would buy the Zeagle pony bottle tank straps that are compatible with my BC.

I would buy a 19cf bottle, plop on a HOG D1 first stage, attach a D1 second stage to it via a hose (how long?), and add a mini pressure gauge to the first stage as well?

And then I should be good to go?

I figure:

$50 for the tank straps
$125 for the pony bottle
$150 for the first stage
$100 for the second stage
$50 for a mini pressure gauge, mounted to the first stage

Total of $475

For a pony, if you've determined you really need one for the diving you do: Your list above looks fine. There are a few different ways to carry a pony.

1.) Look into "slinging" the pony (if you have shoulder and hip D-rings on your BC). Mounting hardware is cheaper, and I prefer having the pony and regulator/gauges in front so I can see them during the dive.
2.) Be sure the size of the pony tank you are considering is adequate for the depths you typically dive. 19 cu ft is probably "ok" for most recreational dives. I use a 30 cu ft however, because it gives me a full 1/3 in reserve if needed (actually, > 1/3 since I dive single Al80's). Some shore dives here in East Hawaii require that I return to my entry point underwater (due to surface currents)... thus having a full 1/3 in "redundant reserve" is prudent.
3.) Consider a basic, "bomb proof" 1st and 2nd stage as your pony reg. The button-type SPGs that screw into the 1st stage are fine... I prefer a brass & glass SPG on a 6" HP hose however.

And... have fun!!

Best wishes.

I went with a 30 - on the advice that if you have a 30 or 40 (as opposed to a 19 or smaller) you could always use it even if you progress into more technical diving. Also a few respected sources adviced me that 30 should be the MIN for a pony.

I dont dive without a redundant air source - period. (even at 40 ft in a quarry)

I use a super pony tamer bracket.

Next year when I start diving doubles more - I will sling the 30 when using doubles and super pony tamer when on a single.

I have experimented with various setups related to pony bottles, but the one that has always served me the best is setting it up just like a DIR stage bottle. I have an 80 rigged as a stage that way and also a 19cf as a pony.

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

Greetings, here is my .02c. My buddy has the Zeagle BC with pony bottle straps and while it works for him I think there are better ways of backmounting the bottle. I personally sling mine and really really really thought this was going to be a royal PITA. I was very pleasantly surprised at how little the bottle got in my way. I wont say that I don't even know it is there but it so far has not gotten in the way of anything I wanted to do. I do not hunt, spearfish, or photograph so my opinion might change if I were to change that. I like the sling configuration because it gives me options and is more forgiving. You really need to have your backmount set up perfectly to be effective. If you need to donate your pony and its backmounted it aint gonna happen. Want to check your PSI? Once again it aint gonna happen if its backmounted. If your second stage hose comes out of its moorings (maybe on entry??) your going to have a hard time restowing it. As far as size goes the 19 cf is easier to pack into your luggage if you are flying. Beyond that I wouldn't consider that size for myself. I figure if you are already commited to carring a pony then the real complication is in the hoses, rigging, etc. An extra 6" in the length of the botttle is of minor consequence. I bought my pony used from a good freind/ dive buddy for $200.00. A SMOKING deal if you ask me. It was complete. All I had to do was add air!! They are out there used at good prices if you can afford to look around for a bit. Good luck and have fun

Greetings, here is my .02c. My buddy has the Zeagle BC with pony bottle straps and while it works for him I think there are better ways of backmounting the bottle. I personally sling mine and really really really thought this was going to be a royal PITA. I was very pleasantly surprised at how little the bottle got in my way. I wont say that I don't even know it is there but it so far has not gotten in the way of anything I wanted to do...

The only objection that I have heard to slinging a pony bottle is that some bug hunters claim that a slung pony gets in their way when they are trying to reach into holes (hopefully with tickle sticks...). I sling my AL 19.

I've found that some of the issues that regularly get brought up in regards to ponies weren't all that important.

1) People routinely claim that you can't donate a back mounted pony, but I found that wasn't the case. Using an X-bracket attached to the lower cam band, it was relatively easy to reach back, pull the pin and release the pony.

2) People also often talk about how difficult it is to read a button gauge and while this is true, I found it really didn't matter much. Your pony's not like your primary tank, because most of the time it doesn't get used. If you check the pressure during the predive and it's not leaking air, then it will still be full when it comes time to use it. Unless you're decompressing or offgassing on it, that pressure gauge really isn't that important.

1) People routinely claim that you can't donate a back mounted pony, but I found that wasn't the case. Using an X-bracket attached to the lower cam band, it was relatively easy to reach back, pull the pin and release the pony.

I don't see an issue with air-sharing from a pony. If your buddy was OOA, then you would share, as normal, from your main cylinder. If your air was low as well, then you could access your pony, whilst still sharing air from your main cylinder.

Some divers might want to 'hand over' their pony to an OOA buddy (if they had sufficient air themselves). This would enable a less stressful ascent.

If a diver planned to hand over the pony (as a planned contingency procedure), then the optimum solution would be to sling the pony. Reaching back, pulling pins..having to hold the pony by hand on ascent... is not appropriate for an emergency OOA scenario.

2) People also often talk about how difficult it is to read a button gauge and while this is true, I found it really didn't matter much. Your pony's not like your primary tank, because most of the time it doesn't get used. If you check the pressure during the predive and it's not leaking air, then it will still be full when it comes time to use it. Unless you're decompressing or offgassing on it, that pressure gauge really isn't that important.

For most recreational divers, the pony is only employed as an ascent bottle. In an OOA emergency, the redundant air source is to get you directly to the surface. If you have pre-planned your air requirements, then you would know whether the pony would get you to the surface from your planned max diving depth. Whilst it is optimum to be able to monitor an SPG during that ascent, it is not critical. That relies on an immediate ascent when the pony is used.

For divers who carry a pony as a redundancy for use in an overhead environment (wreck penetration or cavern diving), then the need to monitor the SPG becomes more critical. If an immediate, direct ascent to the surface is not possible, then I would strongly recommend that the pony be fitted with a SPG that can be monitored by the diver.

I've always preferred having my 19 cu ft pony attached to my main tank with a full length reg hose and the second stage clipped to my chest. I mount the pony upside down so I can easily reach the valve. Here is an old pic with my previous 13 cu ft pony:

pony%20bottle%20set-up.jpg

Crazy line trap on that pony bottle rig???? :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Darn, I wonder if skydivers have to justify their choice to use a backup chute, or if Soldiers/LEOs argue the merits of a backup weapon? IJS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom