What’s your favorite pair of fins and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic Splits, stiff but dont fatigue me and provide very good manueverability and great accelleration when needed

I have a pair of Dacor Integra, which I had for a while now. I changed the straps three times and upgraded them with quick-release clip buckles. Thye're ok, not too big, yet powerful. The only thing I don't like so much is that the foot pocket is a bit too narrow. I get sore spots on long swims, sometimes.

I would like to get new ones, I'm trying to decide between the AL Blades II and the Jet Fins. I used Jets before for drysuit dives, really liked them. I work out a bit, so I didn't find them too hard on the legs. I don't know about the Blades, though.

I'm happy with my Jets, but definitely with a thick soled bootie (for power transfer and so they don't kill my arches). It was hard to find a good combination that worked but the Henderson Hyperstretch boot has a thick sole but still fits well inside an XL Jetfin.

raposarose:
I'm happy with my Jets, but definitely with a thick soled bootie (for power transfer and so they don't kill my arches). It was hard to find a good combination that worked but the Henderson Hyperstretch boot has a thick sole but still fits well inside an XL Jetfin.
raposarose, what size boot do you wear?

Boogie711:
There are two types of fins out there:

Jet Fins and everything else. In the "Jet Fin" category, I also include the Jet knockoffs - since I proudly dive a pair of IDI Turtles. :)

There are some good fins - Mares Quattros are fine, but they're not Jets. (I should shut up... pssst - if you have Quattro's and want spring straps, I know a guy who can get them for you for cheap! :) )

And then there are crappy fins...

... and then below the crap scale are Force Fins. They're evil and should be burned to save our souls from the evil they posess.

:)
Well, you're close....there are 2 types of fins....Force Fins and everything else. I've tried numerous fins, started with Rockets, then bought some Dacor Turbos, have tried splits (TREKS), Quattros, and who knows how many others. I kept getting told by my instructor to try the FF Pros. I did. They Rock.
I haven't had a leg cramp since getting them, can use different kicks based on my enviroment, and have found I'm much more mobile, can back up, spin in place, all with subtle movements of the fin, which come in handy when trying to take photos. I can also slide them on easier than other fins with foot pockets, and can walk in my fins when doing a shore dive, which I couldn't with my other fins. Add to the fact that they travel real well, and I can't understand why some people don't like them. Those that don't like them just haven't given them a real chance, or aren't smart enough to learn how to use them( J/K).
All kidding aside....fins are like masks,everyone uses a different one, based on personal preferance in the way they fit etc....my preference for fins are Force Fins.
C-Dawg

AmyJ:
not to be off topic... but can I ask why the focus on fast? I know that when I dive I am just fine barely moving... or the current is enough for me... there is so much to see!!!! In fact just got back from PDC (riviera Maya, on the mainland side right across from Coz). Even with the minor current on that side over the reef I felt that I was being moved along too FAST!!! Things to see!!! Pictures to take!!!! Now fin comfort.. that is definitely a concern, and I'm not saying fast shouldn't be... just curious why??? Thanks
I agree with you Amy....some guys do like to go fast. I've found the best way to slow down a guy like that on a dive is to hand them a camera. Personally, I've been lucky. My favorite dive buddy is a woman, and she likes to go slow and see everything. With me trying to take pictures, she is pointing out stuff, and then I manuever into position to get some shots while she putters about and finds something else.
Thats why in my last post in this thread, I gave the reasons I like my FF Pros...I'm more manueverable, they fit, they are easier to put on and off, they don't give me cramps, and they travel well. As for speed, who knows.....but I could care less.
C-Dawg

Oceanic Vortex V12 split fins for me. I tried a few, but the splits seem to feel the best. Plenty of speed and power when I need it, but also easy on the body when kicking. It feels like you are hardly finning at all so cramps and fatigue are reduced. If you are kicking up silt then you are not finning correctly, try a modified flutter. And yes, it is possibly to do the frog kick in splits.

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/specialty_and_advanced/alive_and_kicking/2/

AL blades. NOT the blades II. The old style ones I have one pair that I bought new last year and an older pair I got off ebay. The older ones have a narrowing foot pocket that fit my boots perfectly. The new pair do not narrow but fit the dry suit boots like a glove. Factory straps suck so I replaced them and keep them as spares. Tried the blades II and am not crazy about them. Not as stiff as the originals and the foot pocket being in line with the top of the fin just feels weird to me. Go to ebay and get a pair of the old ones. usually 25 bucks or less and one helluva fin. IMO. In fact after xmas might look for another pair and not have to worry about fins again,. Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom