What's your dive accessory pet peeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate cheap dive gear, nothing irks me more than seeing a diver dressed head to toe in K-Mart dive gear.

K-Mart sells dive gear? Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!

So what constitutes cheap dive gear? Cost alone? Because I have a few $20 masks I would rather own then some of the $100 masks.

My least favorite is anything you have on you that you do not need to conduct the dive safely.

K-Mart sells dive gear? Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!

So what constitutes cheap dive gear? Cost alone? Because I have a few $20 masks I would rather own then some of the $100 masks.

I probably shouldn't have picked on Wally-World, but I didn't want to mention the actual dive store chains that are known for selling mainly garbage dive equipment.
They sell off brand wetsuits that fall apart at the seams after only a couple of dives and you can usually recognize them by the fake iron-on knee pads.
They sell the starter snorkeling kit that has a mask made with a plastic lens and fins that have no little or no flexibility since they are also made of cheap plastic.
They also have the shelves full of all the annoying accessories that have been mentioned in this thread.
And don't get me started on the Zero to Hero weekend dive training programs that they typically offer.

Great! Now you got me ranting..:spit:

What if my gear really is the best?

[sarcasm]you and your DIR/GUE elitest attitude[/sarcasm] ;-)

Big heavy flashlights clipped to shoulder strap D-rings.

where do you clip yours?

mine is always clipped to my right shoulder d-ring, and the cord tucked into my waist strap when it is not in use.

What's wrong with bolt snaps? Tie em on with cave line and clip off. If it does get caught a quick stroke with a zip knife or small knife and you are free. Some will even use an oring to tie it to the snap. A good yank will free it.
Even worse are shops that sell non locking carabiners to divers for clipping things off. Otherwise known as suicide clips. I've made a couple students that I did not train initially get rid of them or not use them in my classes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like snaps period if I could help it (always seem to be fumbling with them). It's not bad for things that I will unsnap once and then use for most of the rest of the dive or at the very end, but if it something that I have to unsnap then snap again and again then forget about it. As far as bolt snaps they are always to big or to small for what I want. Before you say what bolt snap is to big or small for a D-ring, I don't like snaps fixed to the accessory, I'd rather it remain on my BC (I'm sure I could work around this somehow depending). Don't like attaching things by cave line either, just seems like a failure point for something to get lost at some point. But these are just my preferences, it all comes down to what feels right to you.

+1 "insta-buddies" only had a few but damn.
-1 velcro when it comes loose

Don't like snaps period if I could help it (always seem to be fumbling with them). It's not bad for things that I will unsnap once and then use for most of the rest of the dive or at the very end, but if it something that I have to unsnap then snap again and again then forget about it. As far as bolt snaps they are always to big or to small for what I want. Before you say what bolt snap is to big or small for a D-ring, I don't like snaps fixed to the accessory, I'd rather it remain on my BC (I'm sure I could work around this somehow depending). Don't like attaching things by cave line either, just seems like a failure point for something to get lost at some point. But these are just my preferences, it all comes down to what feels right to you.

+1 "insta-buddies" only had a few but damn.
-1 velcro when it comes loose

I am having a hard time trying I figure out how to ask questions to this. How do you attach accessories then if you don't like snaps and think cave line is a failure point? How is cave line a failure point? What do you use if not cave line? What type of accessories are you attaching?

If not tied correctly the cave line could come undone... so using zipties is a better solution...

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom