What's your dive accessory pet peeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemonkey33: I'd normally respond with a detailed examination of the issue, but the points raised are so ludicrous, not to mention disrespectful, that I'm not convinced you aren't trolling.

If you truly believe in the validity of your hypothesis, then you are welcome to use it. The drawbacks of doing so have been clearly spelled out for you. You might be 100% convinced of your genius, but have failed to garner any support whatsoever for your hypothetical solution and appreciation of the issues involved. I believe that situation should raise some personal reflection.

Rest assured... nobody contributing in response to your hypothesis is doing so "blindly" or dogmatically.

One quote goes a long way in explaining the disassociation between your personal perceptions and why they're not receiving any support:

547887_340305706048891_8409502_n.jpg

It's not my genius, why don't you look it up for yourself, don't take my word for it. Instead of just saying it is me, maybe you might learn something different. I have looked it up I have pointed it out I have tried to explain it the best I can, you fail to read it and understand it. That is not my problem. You have said it has been made clear to me, that is your opinion, just as it is mine that it is not clear to you.

I tired to give up on this a long time ago somehow I just kept getting sucked back in. I knew it was pointless but people just had to keep poking me so poked back. And if you have such a problem with me then just try and ban me already, what did I ever do to you.

But I'll take the higher road here and leave it be and if anyone wants to understand PM me.

Oh, and the little metal rods people use for poking reefs and wildlife -- I have a well-developed disdain for those, and wish they didn't exist. I can see where they might have legitimate use, but have yet to see any used appropriately.

Funny you should say that; I have one that I've about decided to start leaving behind. The reason I even bought it? Well, I'll admit... I used it as a tank banger. My instructor had one so I later bought one myself. (Besides, I hated the idea of a rattler that constantly sounded with every change of position.)

Like I said though, I'll likely start leaving it behind. Petco has these little metal dog-training clickers that I may go with. :chuckle: (Yes, I'm probably in the minority here as one who does want to be able to OCCASIONALLY get my buddy's attention if it's really needed.)

---------- Post Merged at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Reading everyone's ideas and peeves does make the mind think a little. One thing that stood out immediately with me was the story on John Ormsby. I first heard about his accident when reading Deep Descent (I thought it was a frigging AMAZING book), then again when reading The Last Dive. Reading all of these posts about unnecessary this-and-that reminded me of Ormsby's story even BEFORE he was mentioned in this thread.

Again, reading everyone's likes and dislikes had been good food for thought.

Funny you should say that; I have one that I've about decided to start leaving behind. The reason I even bought it? Well, I'll admit... I used it as a tank banger. My instructor had one so I later bought one myself. (Besides, I hated the idea of a rattler that constantly sounded with every change of position.)

I was critical of 'poker sticks' for years.... then Igot stung by a stonefish that I hadn't seen hidden under the sand. I was pointing out a critter to some photographer divers when it happened.

Now, when I dive as a guide for photographers, I use a 'poker stick'. It's just an aid for pointing stuff out, not for touching or manipulating the environment (as some use it for). No physical contact allowed.... but it keeps vulnerable flesh that much further removed from the reef.

I only carry one for that specific purpose though. It stays in the dive bag unless I am specifically going to be critter spotting for customers.

Some food for thought here regarding directly attaching bolt snaps. I tend to pass my hp hoses through the brass loop of the bolt snap before threading into first stage. I don't fancy having to cut the hp hose if I get seriously hung up, so I'll use an o-ring between hose and bolt snap. For what it's worth, I recently had a bolt snap trap a crossed over cave line in zero viz, silted out conditions. While obviously rare, it can happen if the line strikes the bolt snap just right. Luckily, the bolt snap was double ended, so rather than figure out what was where, I just unclipped it from the D ring and left it. The silted out conditions were courteously provided by a customer who dropped a fin, then flailed around with all extremities trying to find it.

Going back to topic

Fins with straps that breaks... Go for metal springs!

Going back to topic

Fins with straps that breaks... Go for metal springs!
I do prefer spring straps, mostly because they are easier to put on. In the hundreds of dives I did before getting them, however, I never managed to wear out a rubber strap.

people who want to stay on topic.

I'll dare and add snorkel to the list, still use it, but just annoys the hell out of me when not. And wetsuit pull straps too, but again a sort of a necessary evil. And what about the accessories that don't exist but wish you had, for me I would like a pocket or holder on my waist strap to put but SPG in instead of having to tuck it under (maybe I just haven't found it yet).

??? I've got a Dive Rite pouch on my waist strap that contains: smb/reel/whistle,mirror,liftbag back up line cutter all attached a shock cord secured to the inside of the pouch. The pouch is secured to the strap with a weight belt buckle so I can quickly remove it if I don't need it.

Plastic anything NFG! Except the plastic clips on retractors. Those break with a little force if the retractor line gets entangled. Nice safety feature.

---------- Post Merged at 04:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:16 AM ----------

Ummm no, I don't want it fixed to anything, if so I would have put it on a retractor. If it got caught on something I'd like it to be able to pull free. Also not a big fan of bolt snaps.

A bolt snap attached with a thin O ring at one end is easy to break but holds well. I use one on my second reg works well enough.

---------- Post Merged at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:16 AM ----------

ohh, I guess that is another one.

Attaching widgets and gadgets and other misc uneeded crap together using zip ties.

I mean seriously, we are going to 60 ft during the day, there is no need for you to carry your million candle power flash light attached to your lion fish stabber with a float in case the re tractor that holds the contraption to you breaks and it floats away...

Diving 60' or more in NE requires a light if you want to see anything. Most divers here use cansiter lights day or night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom