What's your best local dive shop like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pupy8uge.jpg

Amigos Fort White Dive Center
24/7. Fill your own cylinders to what ever psi your comfortable with. All dive gear and fills use a touch screen computer honor system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard of this but I thought it was urban legend. This is probably the most awesome thing I've ever seen. Do you know the prices? NITROX?

I actually refuse to shop at the LDS where I was originally certified and bought a large portion of my first gear set. I have however, found a new dive shop that I love! I make every effort to support them when it comes to making dive related purchases (or even snacks on surface intervals since they are located near our favorite dive spot at home) and this is why:
1. They always have a friendly greeting when you walk in the door. After a while, the place starts to feel like family.
2. They treat every customer with respect whether you are there to get an air fill or buy a new reg.
3. They do not bad mouth or disrespect other local dive shops.
4. They are knowledgeable about their products and will do their best to assist even if you have questions about something they don't carry.
5. They want people to learn and love to dive - if you need to buy used gear to do it...Great! They will help you find what you need and service it. If you want a carload of new gear...Great! They will give you the best price possible.

My experience is that not every shop operates this way. I truly believe this shop wants to promote the sport of diving in addition to making money and it shows in how they treat their customers!

I've heard of this but I thought it was urban legend. This is probably the most awesome thing I've ever seen. Do you know the prices? NITROX?
Banked 32%, but you also have the means to mix what ever mix you want including He.
Banked 32% was .11 or .12 cuft when I was there in April
100% was .35 cuft.

Just got to a new location and visited the dive shop I'm planning to use. My first criterion was that they support tech diving, as I do tech diving, and they are likely going to be more knowledgeable than a recreational-only shop.

They mix trimix, they don't push you to buy anything, they have a pool on-site with a 10' deep end. They don't just stock one brand, and they don't just stock the expensive stuff, but have a variety of choices. I love when I see a bunch of odds and ends made by Trident in a shop because I know they care about what works more than what costs the most. They have a couple of scooters sitting around. They have a Petrel in the display case. They stock side-mount and back-mount gear, lots of different sizes of clips, pouches, pockets, backplates, etc. for sale. I also love when I see lead weight for sale, because IMO they are more versatile than the bean bags. And their price sheet for fills, visual inspections, O2 cleaning, etc. are reasonable.

And when you talk to the instructors they know their theory and good practical info.

That's how I know I'm in a good shop.

The LDS I use is a fixture of the diving community in my landlocked city. It has been in operation for 40+ years and I can remember buying straps for my old JetFins when I was snorkeling in the 80's. It is a classic family owned/operated company and feels as much like a dive club as a retail location. Every employee I've met has been passionate about diving and more than happy to discuss any sort of gear or training....regardless of whether it was something they sell/promote/offer. They have a huge whiteboard on the wall with scheduled trips from Feb to Nov. Like I said...it's almost like a club filled with all sorts of wonderful new jeejaws to ogle or buy.

Yes, their prices are higher than purchasing online.... But at the end of the day, I get more bang for my buck there. I get the value add of over a hundred years and 20k+ dives of experience across owners/employees. I get a place that they greet us by name and are genuinely curious about where we're diving next. I get a showroom where I can try out just about any piece of equipment they have in stock or own personally. I get a 14' heated indoor pool to test new equipment or gear changes. I get a place that has loaned me gear in the past to 'just try it out'.

And most importantly, I get a place that provided OW training to a level that has resulted in a 10 year old kid that calmly went through troubleshooting steps when he had significant issues on two dives. And on a dive last month calmly proved a DM's wrong regarding an issue with some gear.

So yeah....I have paid more for some of the equipment I own.....but I feel richer as a result.

The dive shops I deal primarily with down here are chains so they tend to be decent. No real complaints but nothing amazing either. They get the job done.

Force-E
Divers Direct

Amigos Dive Center: Nitrox, Oxygen and Trimix Fills

Prices on their site. Currently:
[h=2]Gas Fill Prices[/h]
DescriptionPrice
Air (Flat Rate per Cylinder)$4.00
Pre-Mixed EAN32 (Per Cubic Foot)$0.11
Oxygen (Per Cubic Foot)$0.35
Helium (Per Cubic Foot)$0.85

I recently changed dive shops for several reasons that I won't get into now. My new LDS is two hours away from me one-way but they are incredibly worth the drive.

Yesterday I drove to the new LDS expecting to pay $700 for a new first stage. I didn't think I could get all the stuff on my first stage that I wanted (reg, octo, inflator, cobra 3 computer, and wireless transmitter for my D9). Instead of making a sale, they showed me how everything would fit on my old first stage. Needless to say I was thrilled at the savings. So I rewarded them, and me, by doing a trip with them in two weeks.

Why do I drive two hours when there are two dive shops an hour away? Because of the service. I'm not pressured into buying anything. They are fun to talk to and there is a pleasant atmosphere. They have earned my loyalty after just three trips to their shop. I'm very grateful to have found a shop that I enjoy and trust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom