What's your best local dive shop like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
After being disappointed by the ignorance and/or incompetence and frequently less than helpful sales practices of basically every LDS I have ever been in, this was going to be a "do all dive shops suck?" thread, but instead I decided to focus on the positive.

SO, what's your best local dive shop like and why is it good? :)

For those that must know here is the original negative post, (more of a frustration rant):
I haven't been impressed by any of several shops in 2 different states that I have been in or talked to, but today's prize went to the shop owner/instructor and major staff member who explained to me that:
1. All steel tanks are junk because all they do is rust out, and their only advantage over aluminum is taking off a bit of weight (which he only grudgingly agreed with after I mentioned that as one reason I got them).
2. I wasted my money ("why would you ever want these things" were the exact words) when I recently bought 2 used OMS/Faber LP85's for $275 with stainless highlander doubles bands, a thermo din doubles manifold and valves, and the original OMS single tank valves with screw in yoke inserts (currently what I am using). I did have to pay $80 total to have them both internally shot blasted (minor speckles of rust), hydroed (passed +rating with wide margin) and VIP with sticker on top of that though so its technically $355 total. I went to the hydro place itself and not a shop for that btw.
He actually specifically told me that steel tanks can be had all over for $50 each. He did not have any to sell for that price when I asked however.
3. I asked him about the Mares CWD dry kit since I saw he had an MR12 that he used with the silicone kit on it and he didn't know what the dry kit was or that the kit on his favorite MR12 also fits my MR22. but helpfully commented to me that the MR12 is the best reg they ever made (I would agree it is a good one at least), he is a Mares dealer who does ice dives btw.

Instead of correcting him or being difficult I just smiled and nodded a lot and on top of my air fills I even bought a new mask I needed for $50 (acceptable price and I wanted to try them on before buying) to help establish a relationship with him since I will likely be using him for local fun dives and great lakes charters (one area he did seem experienced and competent in).
I only hope I don't have damp air in my tanks now after that rust comment. As he is the only close by (within an hour one way) place for an air fill I will use him exclusively till the next VIP and then decide if I will ever use him again for that based on the inside of the tank.

You can stick to my positive question up top and just ignore the rant.

I visited every shop in town when I got back into the sport. The shop I spend the vast majority of my money at won me over by:

1 - Not pushing the highest priced gear to me, instead selling me proper fitting gear
2 - Actually doing what they promise, every time
3 - Never bad-mouthing the other shops in the area
4 - Not speaking poorly of those who buy used gear, instead providing service to the gear
5 - When servicing gear not sold by the shop, not ripping off customers for buying elsewhere

Overall, by treating customers with respect.

When I got my wife interested in scuba we were living in a town with three dive shops, so I visited them all. My initial impression of two of the three was somewhat high-pressure sales. The third just offered to help. I later learned the third shop started not primarily to make money, but rather to help subsidize the owners’ (and their families&#8217:wink: diving. Attitudinally it seemed more like a social club than a store. Years later they are the only one of the three still in business.

I liked that:
- they treated customers courteously. Zero high pressure sales – ever.
- they recruited instructional staff who sincerely cared about student safety and success.
- when faced with competition from mail order and later internet they simply offered to match the price of any authorized dealer.
- they worked special deals for training and equipment with wounded warriors, active military, public service divers, and scouts.

It’s largely about attitude.

My local dive shop is great, they treat me with respect. Are always helpful, and will bend over backwards to make sure I am happy with my purchases. I recently had a substantial amount of my gear stolen and they made sure that my gear was replaced in time for a trip I had planned. I might pay a little more at the shop but the service is more than worth the extra cost.

My local dive shop is great, they treat me with respect. Are always helpful, and will bend over backwards to make sure I am happy with my purchases. I recently had a substantial amount of my gear stolen and they made sure that my gear was replaced in time for a trip I had planned. I might pay a little more at the shop but the service is more than worth the extra cost.

I think it all depends where you are. Bigger places will be more by the book. I don`t try to haggle for gear prices, and one day I got offered a weekend of boat diving for 40 bucks. My preferred shop, the owner started teaching me how to fill tanks and how the compressor works just cause I asked how come you can walk away and know how not to blow up a tank. You`ll know a good shop when you find it.

I deal with a small local shop where the owner is the only one there about 80% of the time. I liked him from the start because he is friendly, does not push sales (I've already got more gear than I need), and likes to do, and talk about, the same type of diving I do. I get good air/nitrox fills at a reasonable price, and buy whatever I can from him when I need something. He is also more than happy to order something if he doesn't have it in his shop. He even went out of his way to get warranty service done on a BC that I bought from someone else, before I started dealing with him. I sometimes just stop by the shop to chat, if he's not busy, and get updates and reports on conditions and whatever is happening in the area. He gets a lot of regular customers like me, and usually remembers their names. I almost feel it's more like a social club that sells fills and gear. I think, hope, he does OK!

Mike

High priced & understocked------------compared to the internet......:)

Dive shops up here (upstate NY) have a tough row to hoe. There just isn't much in the way of good local diving. Vis usually sux and the water is cold - at least below the 1st thermocline (about 30 feet). Pretty much what you get to see is mud and rocks - unless you are into wrecks in low vis. One local club went belly up and ours isn't what you would call tremendously active. Those issues have got to make it tough for a LDS to make it. They (I think) subsist on classes and fills.

That said the closest shop is friendly, helpful (even if sometimes opiniated - who isn't?), and basically good to deal with. I wish I could spend more with them but I pretty much have all the equipment I need and I'm not interested in a dry suit nor rebreather. Like I said the diving here ain't great.

The other shop, a bit farther away, seems more brusk (maybe they don't like me), they have a slightly better rate for vis & hydro, but their fills are always hot and come up short. Since I'm paying full price for a 27cf and a 50cf LP tanks it kind of PO's me. I'm paying double what an "80cf" al tank would cost and they can't give me a good fill? Their equipment is also more than a tad pricey.

I feel very fortunate in the sense that my local LDS is five minutes from my house and never fails to provide great service whenever I am in need of something. They don't push their brands and give the same level of customer service regardless of whether it is something I purchased from them, or something that I acquired elsewhere. The staff is very knowledgeable in all things scuba, whether recreational or tech-oriented. Its a relatively small shop where you can buy anything from jacket BCs to webbing and harness hardware. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time there. As a matter of fact, one of their technicians has become a regular dive buddy of mine. Luckily, the nearest lake is a short twenty minute drive from the shop. :)

What do I like about my local dive shop?

- a friendly greeting when I walk in the door, along with catching up on the latest local diving news while I'm being waited on
- products I want to buy at prices I want to pay
- if I buy something elsewhere (even on the internet) because they don't carry it, rather than getting mad about it they ask me to bring it in so they can evaluate it and see if it's something they want to carry
- they have good relations with other shops in the area, and if I need something right away that they don't have in stock they'll call around and tell me where I can find it
- unlimited nitrox fills at a standard monthly price
- as an independent instructor, they view me as a potential partner rather than a potential competitor ... even though I'm currently teaching classes through another shop

I've had a great relationship with this shop for the better part of a decade ... since about a week after they opened up for business ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom