What's your backup mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just as an additional point though, it is the only mask I have ever owned, regular or backup, whose original strap I have not replaced.
Ditto, the Hollis mask straps, and I like that the straps are held in place with metal pins, not that I have broken the plastic 'pins' on a cheaper mask, but I have seen it happen.
We all know you don't have to 'crank' the mask to your face using the strap, but some divers do [poor training I suspect] and "ping" the plastic breaks, or the strap.
Always carry spare straps and a spare mask , I have sold a few masks to divers needing a mask in a hurry, never sold a strap [as yet] gave a few away.

The Mako Minimus fits my smaller face pretty well too. I've tried a bunch of masks, and this one fits me the best, and has a very low internal volume (easier to clear). Incidentally, it's also one of the cheapest I've bought as well. I have one with no snorkel, and a second one with a simple Mako snorkel. I don't do dives where a backup mask is required, but the mask fits in a suit pocket with or without a snorkel on it. If I'm freediving I wear the snorkel one, on scuba I prefer the plain one. If I think that the snorkel might be useful for a choppy surface or whatever, I'll wear one and stick the other one in a pocket. Most of the time, the backup mask and the snorkel both stay in my gear bag on the boat/truck.

Some divers like to use a big one as their primary, and a smaller one in their pocket as a backup. I don't think this makes sense for the same reason that I don't think using a crappy second stage for your octo makes sense: if you ever use it, you want it to work at least as well as your primary one. If I really needed a small mask to fit into my pocket, I would find a small mask that I actually like using (like, say, the Mako Minimus), and use it for both the primary and the backup.

View attachment 785569

Thanks for the positive feedback on our masks guys. One of the benefits of the MAKO Minimus mask is that the mask has no buckle attachment to a mask frame. Instead the mask strap is attached to a tab on the skirt itself. This may not seem like a big deal, but it provides two distinct advantages.

One, it makes the mask considerably harder to break - most masks that are damaged are associated with the plastic buckles being vulnerable to impact, as they are fixed and stick out from the sides of the frame.

The other advantage, is that the strap attachment method allows the mask to be folded very flat and compact without any damage at all. Which seems EXACTLY what everyone would want for a back up mask?

This image shows a side view and you can see the tab on the mask skirt which allows the buckle to be folded inward should that be necessary.

Perfect fit Guarantee:​

Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does not fit, you can send it back within 90 days of the purchase date for a full refund.

thanks
dano

So it was a first stage diaphragm that blew out?
What reg if you don’t mind me asking?
I’m curious about the phenomenon of diaphragm regs and sudden HP seat failures.

I think so, but it's an assumption on my part. It was *spectacular* at the surface. Lots of air, all at once. I might be missing something else that could do that, but the hoses, etc., appeared intact when we helped the diver doff the gear and there was no mention of a flailinghose.

I was too focused on the diver to pay attention to which reg it was, sorry. Even had I noticed at the time I probably wouldn't remember now, 20 years or so later.

What is the procedure for a mask strap break?

I would think the dive would have to end. Would you do an emergency surface with one hand holding the mask in a position like you would do a stride entry?

What if the mask is taken by a strong current?

I would think the dive would have to end. Would you do an emergency surface with one hand holding the mask in a position like you would do a stride entry?

Get your spare mask out of your pocket and switch masks. Continue the dive.

A properly fitted mask with the pressure of a slight inhalation will stay in place without a strap. I once did an entire dive without a strap.

Back
Top Bottom