Whats wrong with the Scubapro X-Tek Pure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ripman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello everyone, i am new to Scubaboard and new to diving. I have been looking around for a while and i have been reading alot about bp/w. I see everyone talking about HOG rigs, Halcyon rigs, Dive-rite, and others. I never see anyone say anything about the Scubapro X-Tek Pure rig.
I guess my question is, is there something wrong with the Xtek pure? it looks just like the other rigs you all talk about. Its a S/S backplate, one pice harness adjustable D rings, and its cheeper then if not the same as some of the rigs everyone talks about. Leisurepro has it for 475 with wing right now. I was just wondering is it just because its Scubapro or is there something else? Thanks.

usually it is much more than comparable quality rigs. If you like supporting local business, Dive Rite has their wings made up in Schenectady. The big issue is cost/quality, unfortunately with scuba gear you don't always get what you pay for, and the big brands are usually the worst value at no better quality, quite often lower quality than other gear. For perfect example, in the beginning Hog got their wings from the same guys in NY as Dive Rite but the wings were almost half the price, no reason to buy Dive Rite which was the bigger name when the materials and quality was the same. They have since gone overseas with their production with Hollis, Scubapro, and others. Scubapro is owned by the massive Jarden Corporation. Halcyon, Hog, Deep Sea Supply, Dive Rite, are all owned locally and are based in the US, so it is all about where your money is going and who it is supporting.

I understand what you are saying about buying local. I am a supporter of local business but, i would still like to know what you think about the X-tek pure. Does no one like it because its Scubapro, or is it quality?

literally just cost for quality.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs
Same money gets you a much higher quality rig and is supporting domestic business *read MUCH higher quality, this is the likely the best single tank rig on the market, Halcyon is up there too but at almost twice the price, about $800 for that rig*

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
$100 less gets you same quality with a better wing design. This is a bit different in that DRiS is 100% responsible for the wing, so if you have any problems you deal with Mike directly, no middle men to deal with.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
bunch of options there all similar or higher quality at similar or cheaper prices, and made in USA

It has a bit to do with the brand name though, it's a good brand, they make good stuff, but like many other massive corporations, you have to fund their marketing budget and corporate bloat. If you call AUP/Hollis or Scubapro you have to fight to get around to someone who can actually help you, call Dive Rite and it very well may be Lamar or Jared that answer the phone, call Deep Sea Supply and it is likely Tobin that will answer the phone, they are responsive and active in the community and eager to help divers make sure they get the best equipment and only have to get it once. That is the advantage you really get when you purchase from those types of companies, the fact that these guys have products that are as high or higher on the quality spectrum is just an added perk.

Thank you tbone, you have been very helpful. out of the 3 bp/w you have talked about, what one do you like the best? i am looking at the DRIS. im not sure if 28 lb. wing is enough for me. maybe you can help? i am 6' 4" 250 lbs. i dive with a 7 mm wetsuit. i use a AL 80 right now but i am looking into getting a steel 100 of 117. not sure yet. right now i am using 30 lbs. of weight. will the 28 lb. wing be enough?
Thank you very much.
Roy

Couple things

First and most importantly, you don't need 30lbs of weight, with a 7mm suit and an al80 in the ocean you should be in the 20lb range, you are grossly overweight, it's not your fault, most divers are. You need to do a proper weight check.

At 6'4" I'd go with the DSS Long cut plate, you're about my size and it's spectacular, get it with the Torus 35. You're at $480 right there and it will last you literally forever. That will take about 8lbs off of your belt right there. If you want to spend an extra $100 they make very high quality SS weight plates that bolt to the backplate edges and can take another 10lbs off of your rig. That realistically should be all the weight you need with a 7mm steamer, will need a bit more if you have a farmer john, but a 35lb wing is fine. With or without the plates, it is very much worth it, that and you don't have to pay sales tax since LeisurePro is in NY.

As far as tanks, I'd look at HP120's, the 100/119's will be too short for you, they are 2" shorter than an AL80. With a backplate/wing setup your tank will sit much higher on your body than you are used to with stab jackets with the valve sitting right at neck level so you can manipulate the valve knob. May be worth scouring craigslist for some LP72's that you can usually pick up for about $50 each as they are great little tanks especially for shorter dives.

Just to clarify, are you wearing a 2 piece 7 mm suit or one? And your diving in saltwater right? Maybe 30 lbs isn't so far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, thank you tbone, you have been very helpful. When i did my check out dive i was in 20 feet of water. I was using 24 lbs. of weight, I kept floting up to the top when trying to do my skills. i know it was my breathing but i still had a hard time staying down. After that i went up to 30 lbs. and it worked great for me. The last time i went diving was in Lima, Peru in December, it was also my deepest dive. i was down 100 feet. I knew then i was over weight. That is something i plan to work on this summer. I will look into the DSS. Thank you so much for all the info.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2015 at 10:28 PM ----------

I use a one piece wet suit 7mm salt water

call Tobin at DSS, he'll help guide you, but if you have the 7mm and can get into the pool then you can do a proper weight check and compensate for the salt water conversion. Torus 35 is certainly about right for what you are going to be doing though, no need to go bigger.

edit: oh, and the best way to buy tanks is in pairs, and for steels it is cheapest to find sets of doubles, whether you intent to use them as doubles or not, tanks in pairs are best, and valve plugs are cheap. Usually around $400-$500 for a pair of steel doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom