What's wrong with rockboots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So we broke down and my buddy and I got DUI CLX450s. I was pretty happy with the suit decision, but have been reading a lot of negativity toward rockboots. I tried on a few suits with the plain feet and a couple with the rockboot system and I found the rockboot system to be more comfortable and a lot less sloppy (the sole of the boot on the regular feet was moving around a lot). I haven't dove them yet, but they also seem less likely to trap air than the regular feet. Not to mention, the regular feet are $40 extra over the rockboot system.

Other than the issues that I will probably have with my jetfins (dang..), what is the big downside? Do you think the regular feet would allow me to keep my XL jets?

One thing you may have a problem with is that rockboots are a lot bigger than there wetsuit booty counter parts. Which means your probaly going to have to get a new pair of fins. Also they charge you a hunders bucks for a pair of canvas shoes with a hiking boot sole. I would think that you could do just as good with a big pair of converse chuck taylors.
Just my .02 $
Neil

Ps; Has anyone tried using any other type of shoe in place of the rock boots?

I use rock boot and I'm very happy with them. The only problem I see is the extra time required to get into the suit. One instructor I know plans on removing his for that reason.

Ralph

I've had only a couple of drysuit dives without rock boots, so take this for what it's worth, but I really prefer diving with them.

Also, I use the same pair of fins with my rock boots that I've used with my wetsuit booties for years. YMMV.

I also have a CLx-450 with rock boots and love this system. I have many dives with my rock boots and have never had a problem. Yes it does take a little longer to get suited up and yes depending on where you purchase your suit, you may have paid extra for them, but, I love them so my vote go’s for the rock boots…………………Arduous

The biggest complaint I have heard regarding the rock boots is the laces and the potential for snagging on stuff. Wreck divers (and some cavers) I've talked to told me they wrap their boots with duct tape. Andrew reiterated that during our fundementals course too.

Mike

bengiddins wrote...
Can ordinary scuba booties be worn over the drysuit socks?
In my case, I think I'd have to use the next larger size neoprene booties with drysuit socks. There's a good deal of extra material there that works out in the boots, but would probably be too much for my current booties.

YMMV.

I use 7mm wetsuit booties one size larger with nice deck soles on the bottoms. No problems so far with about 20 shore dives and 30 boat dives on them and I get to use my same fins! Plus no laces... A guy on my last boat dive didn't have his laced very well and stepped on his lace on the way to the back of the boat and almost went into the water...I said to him "didn't your mom always tell you to tie those laces"=-)

Back
Top Bottom