whats with the advertising?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With increasing age and size comes increasing cost, complexity... and unfortunately, reduced efficiency (eg. bureaucracy). That's the nature of the beast.

The "old Scubaboard" was a mere teeny bopper compared to the *Juggernaut* it is today. Today's scubaboard has far more memory, features, MEMBERS, support staff and moderators, and most importantly... Emoticons.:)

If you don't want to see advertising, pay the piddly few bucks a month and become a supporting member. For reduced clutter, you can also opt to turn off signatures. If you don't like all the non-diving and gossip threads that come up with the "new posts" feature, you can deselect those as well.

I haven't seen annoying ads in over two years, no longer cuss at people's ridiculous signatures, and only see the thread topics I'm interested in. All for the cost of becoming a supporting member, and spending a few minutes changing my user settings. It's super easy.

However, there is a tipping point where too much onscreen advertising starts to negatively influence user viewing and participation. If you think SB has too much screen presence devoted to advertising, you are correct to voice your displeasure. I think this is called "consumer feedback" or something.:crafty:

If you don't want to see advertising, pay the piddly few bucks a month and become a supporting member. For reduced clutter, you can also opt to turn off signatures. If you don't like all the non-diving and gossip threads that come up with the "new posts" feature, you can deselect those as well.
Yes, you can suppress signatures, avatars and images as well as prevent threads from forums you prefer not to see from showing up on your New Post search results. All this can be done through Quick Links >> Edit Options.

I haven't seen annoying ads in over two years, no longer cuss at people's ridiculous signatures, and only see the thread topics I'm interested in. All for the cost of becoming a supporting member, and spending a few minutes changing my user settings. It's super easy.
Here's where you can sign up as a Supporting Member, if you so desire. :)

However, there is a tipping point where too much onscreen advertising starts to negatively influence user viewing and participation. If you think SB has too much screen presence devoted to advertising, you are correct to voice your displeasure. I think this is called "consumer feedback" or something.:crafty:
Do let us know what you think about SB, what you like and what you dislike. We will listen. :)

Just wondering, but is there any chance you might alter the supporting members' options so I can see all the ads *EXCEPT* that excruciatingly annoying (to me) mid-thread ad?

I don't mind the rest of the ads, and I've clicked through several and found interesting magazines, sites, and stores. (And I was really entertained by the "DIMAONDS" banner.) The Google ad after the fifth post, on the other hand, really bugs me. It breaks up my scanning through the thread, I guess, perhaps by breaking the thread box (the bottom corners of which are where my eyes naturally stop scanning).

Anyway, I'd like to keep seeing all the rest of the ads*, but as it it, I've had to turn them all off. If that's how it has to be, I can live with it (although it seems a lose-lose situation), but only you know how much time and effort it'd be to split off the interstitial thread ads into a separate preference.

*except that UGLY rebreather ad. Frankly, I don't think the model's hot to begin with, and with the artifacting in the image, it just looks *UGLY*. I don't think they're supposed to make you associate "rebreather" and "terrible quality", but I find it almost as darkly funny as the "DIMAONDS" banner.

Here's another vote for the anti mid-thread ads.

I say do whatever you need to do to stay in the black.

somehow, I'll cope.

The mid ads are gone, with my apologies. We had a miscommunication on this today, as this was only meant to be seen by NON-REGISTERED users and was included with a caveat that it would disappear once you registered. Things should be back to normal for your posting pleasure! If not, please let us know.

As for our "outages", my humble gratitude for those who stuck with us through thick and thin and continued their support! There was quite a bit of work and expense in the move and subsequent restructuring of our servers, and the support we received helped us to finish the job. The great news? Instead of our servers running at or near full capacity, they are now merely idling along @ %15 use of available resources. This means that we now have an incredibly stable environment, and PLENTY of room to grow. We have indeed upgraded many facets of the "old" ScubaBoard, and have installed a number of new features, with quite a few more to follow. I think you will like the "New" ScubaBoard as we provide you with even more information to help you learn and grow as a scuba diver! You can be certain, we are COMMITTED to providing you the best resource available for all things scuba.

I only come here for the DIR arguments :D

Wouldn't dream of asking a serious question anymore. Plenty of other boards for that.

Recently had a post removed because it wasn't "nice", whatever that means.
Guess I will stop logging on, see you.

awww, come on guys.....check out the "what boat to buy" thread. Interesting to see the different tastes and oppinions.

I don't know about you all, but I keep getting the Hooters gals ad coming up. I ain't complaining:popcorn:

Again, my humble apologies that you had to endure that. We do try to be responsive to the wants and the needs of our users! After all, you are why we exist!

Gee, I'm glad I'm stubborn, not a quitter. :)

:silly: Now, if they ask me to leave....??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom