What's up with Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I attempted to purchase the plexiglass shields for my D6i last week and was told by the store in GB they could no longer ship Suunto products to the US. Anyone know why this is the case or better yet how I could lay hands on more of these shields?
I want the plexiglass shields as the smaller, flexible silicone protectors just aren't a good fit.

TIA

Mark

Wow...that is pretty weird.

I was just about to order two shields for my Zoops that I teach with.

I will let you know if I id anything.

Yeah, I bought, many years ago, a couple of Suuntos out of Spain but a few years back they advised they could no longer ship outside EU. This type of restriction is not uncommon. Try buying Apeks out of EU. SP, Aqualung, Apeks all have such restrictions. I'm assuming the rationale is to protect domestic markets, oh and to maximise profits.

I ran in to the same problem about 5 years ago

There are different distributors for the US and EU and their retailer agreement prohibits selling in each other's territories.

To further complicate things Aqualung, who were Suunto's distributors in the US, have dropped them.

i can't remember clearly but I remember someone saying that suuntos weren't selling very well in the US however in the europe they were selling very well. I think someone told they have merged with someone else for the US and so were changing distribution. i can't remember clearly though, sure it might of been on a thread here or maybe it was a dm???

Aqua Lung bought Pelagic Pressure Systems from American Underwater products and will offer a new line of dive computers next year and stop distributing Suunto. PPS is the OEM for Oceanic, previously Aeris, Hollis, Sherwood, Genesis... Suunto will be distributed by Huish Outdoors, who owns Atomic, Zeagle, Bare, Liquivision, Stahlsac, and Sharkskin. I would imagine that Suunto computers and accessories will be available through Huish

Yeah, I bought, many years ago, a couple of Suuntos out of Spain but a few years back they advised they could no longer ship outside EU. This type of restriction is not uncommon. Try buying Apeks out of EU. SP, Aqualung, Apeks all have such restrictions. I'm assuming the rationale is to protect domestic markets, oh and to maximise profits.

My understanding is that in Europe, a manufacturer is not allowed to set the retail price. Additionally, there was no prohibition on internet sales (as in the U.S. at the time). So European online dealers can advertise and sell at a lower price than U.S. dealers and ship to the U.S. For a time there was a "grey area" as whether these laws apply to sales everywhere or just within the E.U. This was the happy time. Then a ruling came down that these protections only apply within the E.U., so now the big manufacturers are able to force their dealers not to sell or ship to the U.S. So few E.U. dealers are willing to ship to the U.S, anymore.

My understanding is that in Europe, a manufacturer is not allowed to set the retail price. Additionally, there was no prohibition on internet sales (as in the U.S. at the time). So European online dealers can advertise and sell at a lower price than U.S. dealers and ship to the U.S. For a time there was a "grey area" as whether these laws apply to sales everywhere or just within the E.U. This was the happy time. Then a ruling came down that these protections only apply within the E.U., so now the big manufacturers are able to force their dealers not to sell or ship to the U.S. So few E.U. dealers are willing to ship to the U.S, anymore.

Yes, sad times afoot, years ago I could buy Apeks, Scubapro and Suunto out of Spain at much much cheaper prices than New Zealand, unfortunately they shut that door a few years ago. Fortunately there are still a couple of shops in the EU that will sell outside if you know the secret handshake. As long as people keep "mum" then hopefully they will continue to do so.

Back
Top Bottom