whats up with OMS LP tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonofasailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for some tanks, possibly to double up and I am looking at the specs of a lot of different LP/HP steels. I came across the OMS website and the buoyancy characteristics of the LP tanks seem weird to me.

for example.....an OMS LP 108...

Buoyancy Full: -5.02

Empty: 2.98

just to compare, a Faber LP 108 is....

Buoyancy Full: -8.00

Empty: -1.00

So my question is, are LP OMS tanks really positive when empty? That just seems strange, who is the manufacturer of their tanks? Are they any good?

heres where they list their specs:
OMS High Volume High Pressure Steel Scuba Cylinders Specifications http://www.OMSdive.com

Remember to look at whether the buoyancy is valve/no valve. Those are the same tanks, just one is listed with the valve (faber makes OMS tanks).

I can understand if they have different buoyancy characteristics, but the swing/change/delta is different too, which would indicate a typo/error/too much red wine (in that order), or someone is measuring empty with a valve and full without one ::wink:

Dry air weighs .075 lbs/cf (7.5 lb/100cf) no matter which tank you put it in. You may get different numbers on tank specification sheets depending on how the tank weights are calculated and how the results are rounded off.

as for faber manufacturing these tanks, the rep i talked with said
ABSOLUTELY NOT! fabers are cold spray galvanized the oms are HOT DIPPED.
if you look up the specs they do indeed appear to be pst tanks. which is what has been posted in other threads and what i was told by lds.

as for faber manufacturing these tanks, the rep i talked with said
ABSOLUTELY NOT! fabers are cold spray galvanized the oms are HOT DIPPED.
if you look up the specs they do indeed appear to be pst tanks. which is what has been posted in other threads and what i was told by lds.
I think that OMS added a line of hot dipped tanks in the last year or so, although I'm not sure if they offer the cold spray galvanized Faber tanks anymore. I have two sets of cold spray OMS LP98s- they are stamped "Faber Made in Italy" and came with a little sticker that read "If it's steel, it's a Faber" so that makes it official! I bought these tanks in 2003.

Back
Top Bottom