What's up with Harbor Seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my second dive a Lobos on Thursday, I had a harbor seal nipping at my fins the entire dive, all the way to when we surfaced near the boat ramp. There, he popped up and stated at me, doing some kind of seal "ha ha fool."

I'd tried to ignore him, but that obviously hadn't worked.

I was surprised, however, to find neither holes nor bite marks on my fins afterward

First I think it's cute.

I find it a little creepy sometimes surface swimming with a sea lion surfacing and looking at me about 5-10 yards in front constantly. With water surface swirls at my sides, whenever it swims nearby to get in front again.

Also walking my dog along the beach and a sea otter or sea lion following off shore for miles looking at my dog. Since I am not in the water, I think it's interesting and am not bothered by it.

Does it have anything to do with color? I notice that wildlife is quite interested in my yellow fins, but ignore my black ones. I've never dived with seals, but many other fish & shrimps are attracted to my yellow fins.

Bright colors probably draw interest, but a diver in the water is a loud, clumsy and unstealthy thing. We've had plenty of seals nip at our black fins, try to swipe at dangly gear, etc. I think they're just very curious overall, especially when they're young.

I think they're just playing. We were at the pipeline to the Metridium field once when a young one came down and just hung around for several seconds. I reached up and he actually took my hand in his flippers and started using it to rub his tummy. He let go and I kept rubbing, and he seemed to love it. Other times they've just buzzed around us, apparently having fun. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom