What's up with all the red kelp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been out shore diving, trying to grab a bug or two when I can but it seems all the bug holes that you can usually count on to have an antenae or two sticking out are all filled with this red kelp.
If the bugs are in there, they're well camoflouged
I haven't seen a bug in over a week.

If it's red it probably isn't kelp. Kelp belong with the brown algae (class Phaeophyceae), specifically the order Laminariales.

There was an outbreak of filimentious (sp) algae a couple years ago.. it could be coming back. and that reddish other stuff is just nasty...A good storm (tropical storm or higher) usually wipes it out...

The first time I had ever seen that stuff was on a dive to the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo about 4-5 years ago.
I thought it was thick plastic, but then realized the loose bits floating by were organic..
I am pretty sure this is the same substance.
Chug
No kelp knowledge to speak of.

Some red algae are tolerant of low nutrient conditions. Could this be an issue there?

I remember the red tide from a few years ago and this isn't the same thing.
This looks alot like the kelp leaves in So. Cal except they're red and not on stalks.
It looks like they washed in from deeper water or something.

Just go for a walk on the beach in Jupiter......doggy beach is a good place to see it.
It's right there in the shallows and even washing up on the beach.
The stuff further out has much much bigger leaves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom