What's the word on Weezle these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbb:
What kind of dry suit do you dive in and how close does it fit to your body? I have a weezle as well but have not found it to be that warm. My USIA suit doesn't fit that closely so I don't think it helps the insulation work as well as it could. I'm thinking of purchasing a CF200 custom made and am hoping that it will work with the weezle better. I also think I need to tuck the collar of the weezle down as I usually get a neck seal leak when I use it for some strange reason.
Hi Jason,

I dive a DUI 450, signature series - it was custom measured. It fits pretty well, and I've been real happy with it.

My drysuit is large enough that a Weezle fits beneath it with no real issues. I'm using a size Large Weezle. I have to fold my neck down also, to get a good fit on my neck seal.

Weezle's require loft to perform. If your suit is tight enough that the undergarment cannot loft, then it will not provide the necessary thermal effectiveness.

(Reflective undergarments that incorporate mylar and/or aluminum backed fabrics to radiate the body's heat back inward tend to NOT require the same degree of loft to provide equal warmth - or at least this is their claim. Additionally, they claim to provide more effective thermal protection if the suit floods. To the best of my knowledge there is no empirical data to support either claim. The 'proof' is subjective at best. There's little doubt, though, that the additional gas required for loft undergarments can be a PITA.)

The Weezle has been super warm in water temps in the high 30s - I've no complaint regarding warmth. Regretably, however, performance in the water must combine warmth with flexibility. I might find that an X-Large Weezle provides greater reach, I don't know - never tried one. My issues include the fact that when the suit is less that at 'full loft', the Weezle binds beneath the DUI 450 - the undergarment precludes stretching the arms back all the way necessary to perform valve drills (get at potential entanglements, reach back behind one, etc.) It's undeniably warm...but simply not optimal. Uncle Pug had the same problem, and solved it by having a professional seamstress sew football-shaped panels of elastic material into both underarm seams. I'm not sure why the undergarment doesn't come this way to begin with - this is not a new complaint.

I'll be seeking something offering equal warmth with greater flexibility, and will likely eventually wind up with one of the two-way stretch thinsulate garments.

As in all things, your mileage may vary (considerably).

Best,

Doc

Well, it looks like I'll have to find somewhere that might let me "try before I buy" or, as Doc recommended, return it if I find it unsatisfactory. Man, this just isn't as easy as it should be... :(

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it :)

I really do love my weezle, especially this time of year. It doesnt mess with my dump valves (shoulder or cuff) and the wicking properties are great. Even with a badly leaking suit it keeps me warm. I tried thinsulates and wasnt anywhere near as warm

String:
I really do love my weezle, especially this time of year. It doesnt mess with my dump valves (shoulder or cuff) and the wicking properties are great. Even with a badly leaking suit it keeps me warm. I tried thinsulates and wasnt anywhere near as warm

String, I'm curious - what water temps are you diving? I know it gets cold diving in the UK - I'm wondering how the temps compare to here in New England....(Celcius is fine, I can do the conversion :)).

Luv my weezle...
have used it with several brands of drysuits and even when I've flooded, it keeps me warm, my wife luvs hers also,
no more problems venting than with anything else I've used

I got my Weezle Extreem when I got my new drysuit early last season. It came recommended by a couple of diving buddies.
It has kept me warm down to 39F...so far. It works great, if you need a little extra warmth, just add a couple pounds and loft it more. If the water is balmy, say 50F :D, wear minimum weight and let it crush a bit more. I wear 20 - 25 lb depending on my gear. No problems venting, zero.
I love mine.

Do you think Extreme Plus is over kill in around 38 F. degree water?

I have been diving with a Weezle for over four years and it is the best undersuit I have ever owned/tried, and believe me, I have used most of the what is available on the market at one time or another.

It is lightweight, ultrawarm both on the surface between dives and while diving, it dries mega-fast if you are unlucky enough to have a flood, and it will keep you warm enough during a flood to be able to finish your dive comfortably.

I use it under a 4mm compressed neoprene DMS Waterwear Atlantis 2000 drysuit with titanium lining, and I have never been even remotely cold, even in temps down to 2°C in an inland site in the depths of winter.

I use a 12-litre spun-steel cylinder, with a 3-litre spun-steel pony in my home-made 1kg bracket, and with that use between 4-6kg of weight depending on how cold the water is. I have never, ever had a problem venting from either shoulder or cuff, and don't find I have to pile on the weight to get the performance from the undersuit.

Mark

I love my Weezle Extreme+. Never had any problems with venting gas from my dry suit (Dive Rite 905). Keeps me warm in freezing waters without any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom