What's the word on Weezle these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SadiesMom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that there have been some...errr...issues...in the past with some folks feeling that the shells on Weezles have interefered with venting. I've read that they've fixed that...anyone know if that's true? I'm looking to buy some really warm undergarments (right now I'm diving DUI 300g fleece and getting cold) and would like to consider Weezles in my consideration, but not if the venting issues are going to be a problem.

So does anyone know if this issue has been addressed for real in the recent past or is it still a problem? Or do you have any other really warm thinsulate undies you'd particularly recommend for winter diving in New England waters (mid 30's-low 40's)?

Thanks!

Well,

I dive with a person who is a Weezle owner and dealer. Considering how badly he kicked my butt in the water, I don't think there was a venting issue!

I've heard this same complaint from others. I'm very interested to hear the responses, as I too have my eyes on a Weezle when the time comes.

I couldn't manage the buoyancy issues with the Weezle. It took too much air to loft it to where it was warm, and whether the fabric was interfering with the dump valve on my borrowed suit, or whether the valve was just sticky, I had the dickens of a time venting it -- to the point where I got disgusted on a multi-dive day and just went back to my regular polarfleece.

I have since bought the Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit and the matching vest, and I am very impressed with them. They keep me as warm as anything has underwater, and most importantly, they stay warm when they are wet. I had a badly flooded dry suit last week and tolerated an almost 30 minute swim in without starting to shiver (in 50 degree water). I'm a fan.

I spoke directly and in person to the Weezles themselves, Paul and Hilary. I asked them that question directly.

They pointed out that the problem had occurred with one specific manufacturer's dump valve. That valve has been on a recall and replacement schedule for some time. My DUI CF-200X had a replacement put on it because of this a year ago.

From the FAQ section of their website:

Will I have to cut holes in it for my cuff/shoulder dump?

No. This above all was a major design requirement of the suit. Air must be able to migrate through and around the suit with minimal restriction. The action of cutting holes in undersuits or replacing sections with netting, reduces the thermal properties of the undersuit. In the case of a cuff dump, removing a section of the undersuit to assist air dumping, occurs at a point where your blood is closest to the surface.

The Weezle is light, comfortable, and very effective. Visit their website
here: http://www.weezle.demon.co.uk/wds/home.html

BigJetDriver69:
I spoke directly and in person to the Weezles themselves, Paul and Hilary. I asked them that question directly.

They pointed out that the problem had occurred with one specific manufacturer's dump valve. That valve has been on a recall and replacement schedule for some time. My DUI CF-200X had a replacement put on it because of this a year ago.

Thanks - I've actually read that part of their FAQ. I have a DUI TLS350 (Signature Series)...it originally came with an Apeks low profile dump valve, but that was faulty when I got it (it leaked continually on my first dive), so I sent it back to DUI and had it replaced with a Sitech dump valve, which has worked perfectly so far. So which manufacturer's valve was causing the problem?

One of the issues I'm facing (that I didn't mention in my original post) was that I'm a woman with larger sized hips than many manufacturers account for in women's sizes - and since thinsulate doesn't stretch, I have to make sure I get the right size. Many manufacturers don't have sizes that would work out well for me, particularly in one-piece undergarments. If I get a men's size that's big enough to fit my hips, I'd be swimming in the top, since men's sizes are sized for larger chests than hips. :sigh:

What I liked about Weezle was that they have a two piece undergarment - which could be handy in two ways 1) for...umm...easier-peeing-after-the-dive purposes :wink:; and 2) possibly buying different sized top and bottom. I could get bottoms to fit my hips and a top to fit my...er....top. :wink:.

Any other feedback is definitely appreciated...

My advice would be to try one, particularly under circumstances where you could "try before you buy". Alternately, many dealers will allow return of merchandise if you are working in good faith with the dealer - to some extent this depends on the availability of dealers in your area.

I have owned a Weezle since 2002. It's completely warm in extremely cold water, warmest undergarment I've used - to include the stretch thinsulate. That said, it doesn't stretch for squat, so valve drills can become exercises in frustration. I personally have never had an issue with it failing to vent, however, and while I know of a diver who has, I suspect that placing a patch on the arm beneath one's exhaust valve would handily solve any potential issues in that department.

Like Lynne said, Weezles can require more gas...which requires more weight. But they are about the warmest thing going, and I've tried the DUI and DC thinsulates.

It comes down to a matter of how it fits and how comfortable you are with the garment - and thats simply going to take some experimentation.

Best,

Doc

Oh, dear -- you might have a big problem with the DC Thinsulate. I'm a pretty small woman, and I don't carry weight in my hips, but the jumpsuit is quite a snug fit in a women's medium.

I would agree with Doc Intrepid that the Weezle was wonderfully warm. It was like diving in a goose-down comforter . . . in fact, it's a LOT like diving in a goose-down comforter, both from the standpoint of warmth, and of air trapping! Someone with better buoyancy skills than mine probably wouldn't have as much trouble as I did, but even the instructor who lent me the Weezle told me she has to go completely vertical and WAIT and vent, and has to stay aggressively ahead of the pressure changes.

I think the Weezle is something you definitely need to try before you buy it.

I found that when I dove a weezle that in my chest area it got so compressed that it provided little warmth. Air migrated up to my back and lofted the weezle there leavingmy chest crushed down to nothing.

Like Lynne said, Weezles can require more gas...which requires more weight. But they are about the warmest thing going, and I've tried the DUI and DC thinsulates.

It comes down to a matter of how it fits and how comfortable you are with the garment - and thats simply going to take some experimentation.
Doc[/QUOTE]

Doc

What kind of dry suit do you dive in and how close does it fit to your body? I have a weezle as well but have not found it to be that warm. My USIA suit doesn't fit that closely so I don't think it helps the insulation work as well as it could. I'm thinking of purchasing a CF200 custom made and am hoping that it will work with the weezle better. I also think I need to tuck the collar of the weezle down as I usually get a neck seal leak when I use it for some strange reason.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom