What's the shallowest you have been Narc'd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IwakuniDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On monday a buddy and I were out and had a bit of an unusual upwelling coming up from an underwater slope. It took almost 6 minutes to descend down the slope to 120 feet and by the time I got down there, I was winded which is very unusual for me.

at about 115 I felt it hit me with a mild, light-headedness and I was having a hard time writing to my buddy on my slate. I felt fine and knew what was going on but my eyes were having a hard time focusing on what I was writing.

After about a minute, I was able to slow my breathing down and my head cleared instantly. I'm sure that the hit was "helped along" by my heart beating so fast and being almost out of breath but that seemed a bit shallow all the same.

What's the shallowest that you all have felt the rapture of the deep?

I've felt narc'd as shallow as 95fsw on one dive in particular, but have been as deep as 115fsw with no apparent effects of narcosis on other dives....I have witnessed effects of narcosis on others at depths as shallow as 75fsw....I think it depends both on the individual and the many variables of the particular dive itself

In part I think it depends on how you define being narced but exercise certainly speeds up the effect.

If you can perform a task faster than at surface at 30m like skills you do in Deep Spec R u narced ? I don't know I never felt narced at depth (Max 32 m) other than checking may gauge more often but a buddy of mine got narced at 12 m once (he had been doing 2 dives a day - for more than a month)

IwakuniDiver:
What's the shallowest that you all have felt the rapture of the deep?

About 3 feet.

I got drunk and fell off the bar stool. Felt the light head and dizzy stuff just about the time I dove off the stool. :D :D

Gary D.

24 meters in 14deg C water temperature, working hard to stay within an oil rig structure, against a current trying to blast me out to deep open ocean. From now on, for any of the Oil Rig Dives offshore here in Southern California, I'll always take a Scooter and will be on Trimix if I go below 27 meters. . .

The degree you get narc'd, will vary from day to day, dive to dive. Everyone is affected to some degree after 100-fsw, whether you’re aware of it or not. Those who say they dive past 100-fsw without impairment, is like the clown who says they drive better drunk, it’s just not so. The impairment might be ever so slight, but it’s there. What I see mostly is, perceptual narrowing and task fixation, (like fiddling with you gear a lot or being oblivious to near by hazards)

There is a difference between being narced and knowing it. Narcosis is anesthesia. Its effects are intensified by carbon dioxide retention secondary to exertion and by cold. Impairment due to narcosis starts with initial immersion and increases with depth. That is, there is no "threshold" at which narcosis begins. There is narcosis at all depths. It is greater with greater depth. This is a physiological process. The depth at which a diver recognizes narcosis is something entirely different. The acknowledgment of narcosis is more psychologically dependent and, as such, is not a reliable indicator of the actual level of impairment.

I've been narced as shallow as 60'! We had dropped onto a wreck and it was a fast descent. Once on the deck, my buddy was having a raging free flow and it took a second for me to figure out was was going on. He wasn't having a good day- he switched to his pony and that free flowed on the first breath. I was just thinking about giving him my reg and then I saw fins heading to the surface. I'm not sure if he saw me directly in front of him- he was stressed and had a wall of bubbles in front of him. Everything worked out well in the end.

Just this last weekend, I was following a compass heading at 50' and I ended up right back where I started in less than 1 minute! I had gotten that whole east-west thing confused and turned around underwater.

My office is on the second floor and I'm feeling a little spaced out. Does that count?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom