What's the right mix for a road trip through the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fesssto

New
Reaction score
We are planning a road trip to Key West in June to do the "swimaroundthekeys". We plan to go straight to key west and then spend a week making our way back north. With too many options to choose from, we are having trouble deciding where we should spend our time without driving ourselves crazy checking in and out of hotels. For those who know the keys, I would like to hear your preference of how you would break up a week of diving (how many days in each location, where to stay, where to dive). We are both certified dive masters and have our own equipment. We prefer non-cattle boat diving. Would like to hear your favorite places and also any restaurants we shouldn't miss. Thanks!

You might consider a long weekend on a liveaboard to the Dry Tortugas. From Key West the Spree (Me) and the Playmate depart for 3, 4, and 5 day trips. Park the car then don't worry about hotels, fills, etc. Although we do carry 24 divers, we don't have that cattle boat feel. At least, I don't think we do, but maybe I'm biased. In Key West, see the Vandenberg, See Looe Key in Big Pine, the Thunderbolt in Marathon, and you'll have to get some of the upper keys experts to tell you about north of Marathon.

Do not miss the Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island. Its a little hard to find, but the hogfish sandwich is to die for. On Big Pine Key, the No Name Pub has the best pizza in the keys. Their custom brewed ale is the best.

Wholeheartedly agree with No Name Pub.
We love staying in Islamorada. Cheap clean hotels include Key Lantern, Sunset Inn and La Jolla(for a bigger group). Get breakfast at the Midway Cafe or Mangrove Mikes, and happy hour at Lorelei's, where all the locals hang out. We always dive with Key Dives, and if you call ahead, they can likely get you to the Eagle (which is phenomenal). See Silent World in Key Largo to dive the Spiegel Grove. I hate Key West, so I'd spend more time in the other keys. Make sure to listen to Jimmy Buffett the whole drive down to get you in the Island spirit.

I will say, although I have never dived with above mentioned outfit, I can tell you by far the best diving in the keys is in the Dry Tortugas. If you are going for the diving take the Tortugas trip.
If not I would break it up something like this,
Day 1-2 Key West, dive the vandenburg and hit a couple of the sites in KW.
Day 3-4 Big Pine Key/Marathon, Dive Looe Key, See the Key Dear and hit no name pub
Day 5-6 Islandmarota area, dive Penny Camp,

Personally I would plan on spending more time in Key Largo then anywhere else from the diving perspective of things. Second the previous vote for Silent World when it comes to doing the Spiegel Grove. If it was me I would start the trip up the keys with a day of diving in Key West (use captains corner) and do the vandenberg, then head up the keys make a stop for a drive through the Key Deer preserve (its kinda fun and they are so tiny compared to normal deer. There is a tiki hut restaurant at the Marathon end of 7 Mile bridge, worth a stop to watch the sunset. The turtle hospital is a nice stop in Marathon as well (they do 3 tours days). Next stop I would make would be to dive the Wreck of the Eagle in the Islandmorada area. While in Islandmorada check out the History of Diving Museum. Next stop Key Largo (spend most of your time here). Check with Chris at Silent World dive the Spiegel, Duane, Bibb, and Carysfort or Elbow Reef. Stay clear of Molasses Reef, although its very highly rated this is only because its the spot most people go. Its crowded and is not very healthily due to all the senseless divers who damage the reef.

I would base in key west to hit kw, nd looe key, then relocate to islamorada for diving in the northern keys.

The must see's are spiegel grove, vandenberg, molasses reef,

Although I have never been on the Spree, it is on my short list. If you are there for a week, time it for a Tortugas trip on the Spree and then spend the rest of your time with Conch Republic or Silent World in Tavernier/Key Largo. Maybe hit Looe Key on the drive to Key Largo.The restaurants I like in Key Largo are Tower of Pizza(avoid the one in Islamarado) and Shipwrecks. In Key West, we enjoyed Seven Fish and Blue HEaven. Seven Fish is tiny and requires reservations.

!Key West is ok,,, But gets old quick too busy for me! As said Head NORTH!
A quick trip out line we do;

We first head to ISLAMORADA, it's a great mid point to hop around and see it all or see less if you like! Make sure always turn right even if you want to go left ! TIP OF THE DAY! it will save time! on weekends.
We love to stay at The Ocean View,see link

http://www.theocean-view.com/lodging
The rooms neat and clean, tile wall to wall, Patio out back,a great pool! a grill to do your catch or if you get some fresh sea food to grill on. pub & grub on site* but get a room away from that end as it can rock and roll at night with locals & tourist's!
We dive with;

http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/
not the cheapest, but they run fun, fast, safe boats and have a sweet shop, great staff & fast fills , They get to every thing from big steel to easy reefs and dives are on the calendar or first call can choose, many other dive opps in area too .

Now with all the diving, you need some down time, Hit Craig's after diving for a fish sandwich! YUM-YUM!! see link!

http://craigsrestaurant.com/

Now after that have some fun hit http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm and feed some tarpon!
I coined the phrase years back as feeding the Tarpon was the best value a buck $1 then, now its $2 In the Keys! & have a ice cold beer and people watch!

That said a trip up to Largo could be in order on your way out,
http://www.pennekamppark.com/
The John Pennekamp State park should be on your list of a stop we do a picnic lunch and make a day of it,,,
diving several small 6 pacs run out of Largo some are good some well get a review first.
This list was just my suggestion have a blast! Relax! turn right and grill some Florida Bugs one night !just wonderful and beautiful MMMM GOOD

You might consider a long weekend on a liveaboard to the Dry Tortugas. From Key West the Spree (Me) and the Playmate depart for 3, 4, and 5 day trips. Park the car then don't worry about hotels, fills, etc. Although we do carry 24 divers, we don't have that cattle boat feel. At least, I don't think we do, but maybe I'm biased. In Key West, see the Vandenberg, See Looe Key in Big Pine, the Thunderbolt in Marathon, and you'll have to get some of the upper keys experts to tell you about north of Marathon.

Do not miss the Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island. Its a little hard to find, but the hogfish sandwich is to die for. On Big Pine Key, the No Name Pub has the best pizza in the keys. Their custom brewed ale is the best.

Thanks for the info. Dry Tortugas sounds awesome, but there are only three people in my party. How likely that we will be able to put together a trip on the dates we want to go? (leaving on Sunday from key West and returning by Thurs?). Is that too short to work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom