Whats the most difficult drill to learn..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Vince

Registered
Reaction score
I will be starting with a open water diver course soon, and I wonder whats the most difficult drill to learn. I heard that most people think its the mask clearing underwater,
but is that really so difficult to learn..

Vince :D

For me, the most difficult was breathing on the regulator without a mask on. We had to do this for the full mask removal and then replace and clear and we also had to do a swim underwater without the mask while breathing on a regulator.

It took a few tries before I could do it. I kept breathing just a little through my nose but even "just a little" doesn't work if you are underwater!

....it was also difficult for some others in my class, too.

Not everyone has problems with the skills, those that do don't all have problems with the same skill. For most folks, the secret to success is twofold: 1) calm yourself and go slowly, and; 2) stop thinking and analyzing and just do what you're told.

None of the skills are insurmountable. Some might take practice. No big deal, just keep at it and remember to have fun while you're learning.

Like everything else, it varies from person to person! Mask skills certainly challenge a lot of new divers, as you can see from the number of threads that get started about that topic. Basic buoyancy control can be fairly difficult, too. That's what my biggest hurdle was. Some people find just breathing underwater from a regulator to be hard in the beginning.

The great thing is that, whatever YOUR particular hurdle is, you can almost certainly find some good advice for dealing with it if you search the New Divers forum on this board.

I find a good number of students have problems more in the open water part of the course . You put a new student into a 7mm suit add gloves and a hood and everything becomes a little more difficult especialy mask clearing as the hood will tend to get in the way of the seal also weight belt removal can be difficult on the surface for some as they have gone from 6 pounds in the pool to 24-30 for open water.

The joys of cold water diving lol

Hey Vince, I Also Went Thru The Peril Of The Deadly Mask Clear And After A Couple Of Tries It Came So Natural I Found Myself Letting Water In So I Could Clear My Mask And Blow It Out Again. Sometimes I Think Their Filming The Movie "the Fog" In My Mask! Just My 2 Cents Worth(85 American). Cheers.

Scuba_Vince:
I will be starting with a open water diver course soon, and I wonder whats the most difficult drill to learn. I heard that most people think its the mask clearing underwater,
but is that really so difficult to learn..
Vince :D
I think a search of threads would reveal that it is the mask clear is the most difficult adaptation. The skill is easy enough for most but maintaining composure and breathing while doing so can be unsettling to some and given our instincts it is entirely reasonable that some will not want to breathe with their face entirely exposed to the water. If this is an issue a lot of it can be defused at home in the comfort of your bathtub. With a little patience in a safe environment the results can be astounding.

Breathing underwater can take a little acclimation but I'd call it a distant second place. If you class includes a proper skin-diving foundation of skin-diving you will already be accustomed to sustained oral breathing with a submerged face.

Pete

NorthernShrinkage:
I find a good number of students have problems more in the open water part of the course . You put a new student into a 7mm suit add gloves and a hood and everything becomes a little more difficult especially mask clearing as the hood will tend to get in the way of the seal also weight belt removal can be difficult on the surface for some as they have gone from 6 pounds in the pool to 24-30 for open water.

The joys of cold water diving lol

After the first night in the pool we all had to be in hoods and gloves.

Back
Top Bottom