What's the hardest class you have taken, and what made it hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

U/W welding.

As for me it had to be rescue class. Bob Z. in Okinawa really gave us (my buddy and I) a great class. I was really worn out at the end of every dive day. I really miss assisting him with the classes after I got my DM rating.

Padi Nitrox.........

Just kidding...
GUE Fundimentals with Doug Murdy. Basically i stacked the deck against myself by taking it in a drysuit and huge doubles with less than 10 dives in that configuration. This was also the most rewarding class i have ever taken, i got a ton out of it which has helped to make me a much better diver and understand my limitations as a diver. I've been prepping to retake the class and think i'm ready (Dry and in smaller doubles this time though)
It is an excellent class, you will get something from from it no matter what your goal is or current skill level.

Padi Nitrox.........

Just kidding...
GUE Fundimentals with Doug Murdy. Basically i stacked the deck against myself by taking it in a drysuit and huge doubles with less than 10 dives in that configuration. This was also the most rewarding class i have ever taken, i got a ton out of it which has helped to make me a much better diver and understand my limitations as a diver. I've been prepping to retake the class and think i'm ready (Dry and in smaller doubles this time though)
It is an excellent class, you will get something from from it no matter what your goal is or current skill level.

I have never heard anything bad about GUE Fundamentals, even people that didn't pass say it was the most rewarding class they have ever taken. I have been looking for an opportunity to take it for a few months now, but trying to stack the deck in my favor by getting some dives in doubles under my belt :)

I have never heard anything bad about GUE Fundamentals, even people that didn't pass say it was the most rewarding class they have ever taken. I have been looking for an opportunity to take it for a few months now, but trying to stack the deck in my favor by getting some dives in doubles under my belt :)

Just so everybody is clear, you can absolutely take Fundies in a single tank. In fact, for people who are not already comfortable with doubles, I'd recommend it. Getting a "tech pass" to allow taking tech or cave courses requires using doubles, being held to stricter standards, and performing some additional skills. If you're not already comfortable in doubles, I would absolutely consider taking the class in singles to develop your core skills, doing a bunch of diving, and THEN making the transition to doubles and arranging to do checkout dives with a fundies instructor for the tech pass. The better your core skills and platform are, the easier the transition to doubles and a tech pass will be.

And just to add to what Hepcat said -- you don't have to be heading for caves or technical diving to benefit from Fundies. In fact, I think the class has the most to offer people who never intend to do any more advanced training than that. Folks who go on to tech or cave training are going to get drilled on buoyancy, trim, position, situational awareness, and tolerance of task loading in every further class they take. Folks who never DO any technical training may never be helped to find a true motionless balance in the water, or learn the little maneuvering kicks that make photography so much easier, or the disciplined scan of their environment that keeps teams together, even in challenging conditions. I really think Fundies has the biggest bang for the buck for people who take it in a single tank, and may never take another class of that kind again.

Back
Top Bottom