What's the hardest class you have taken, and what made it hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a particular cogent non-GUE example of how instructor's do not focus into the details of the water-work and get stuff wrong, and make classes from the student's perspective hard, I see PADI Rescue Classes taught all the time to student divers who have to spend all their time at the surface struggling to maintain their pose, because most divers are not set up to float comfortably vertical at the surface. At the end of a half day, these students are worn out by the extraneous effort that the instructor simply fails to register and correct, because that instructor has focused herself/himself on the instructor stuff (briefing, skills in the class) instead of focusing on the student's in water behavior in total. Ask ten people who have taken Rescue Class about it, and five will say it was a 'hard' course, and it was exhausting. Those five will be the ones who could not get still on the surface, and did not have the instructor focused on their in -water behavior. Of course it is exhausting if the instructor does not laser focus on the details, because the instructor lets the student expend fruitless effort, because the instructor is not focused on the student but rather the instructor stuff (lectures, briefings, etc.). Moreover, the exhausted student does not internalize the course content well, and because of the discomfort during the course will not carry a level of confidence about the course activities forward into the real world of diving.

Beano,

I actually agree with many of your points in a general way, but I believe that you are overgeneralizing where student problems come from. For various reasons, some students are able to feel, understand, internalize and then be able to do physical tasks quicker than other students. Some people, if you show them a new dance step, they are doing it with grace in minutes. Others will trip over their feet after multiple attempts.

Assuming that the reason that someone might find the rescue course tiring is the fault of lack of attention from the instructor to correct their position at the surface is an incorrect assumption. As an example, someone who is older and has never been athletic will find carrying people out of the water tiring, and swimming while towing a victim, doing simulated mouth to mouth, removing both theirs and the victims equipment, while the instructor is screaming "Faster, faster, you have to get the victim to shore!" tiring, especially if they need to do it multiple times because they forgot a critical step in the process.

Muscle memory is much easier for some to attain than others. Your theories assume that all students came out of the same mold, and the only differentiating factor in their performance is the instruction that they have recieved. Good instruction is an important factor, but its not everything.

Linda

Last edited:
Beano,

I actually agree with many of your points in a general way, but I believe that you are overgeneralizing where student problems come from. For various reasons, some students are able to feel, understand, internalize and then be able to do physical tasks quicker than other students. Some people, if you show them a new dance step, they are doing it with grace in minutes. Others will trip over their feet after multiple attempts.

Assuming that the reason that someone might find the rescue course tiring is the fault of lack of attention from the instructor to correct their position at the surface is an incorrect assumption. As an example, someone who is older and has never been athletic will find carrying people out of the water tiring, and swimming while towing a victim, doing simulated mouth to mouth, removing both theirs and the victims equipment, while the instructor is screaming "Faster, faster, you have to get the victim to shore!" tiring, especially if they need to do it multiple times because they forgot a critical step in the process.

Muscle memory is much easier for some to attain than others. Your theories assume that all students came out of the same mold, and the only differentiating factor in their performance is the instruction that they have recieved. Good instruction is an important factor, but its not everything.

Linda

It is usually better to assume that someone knows more than they say, than less. By this, I mean that I am not basing what I say about rescue courses from talking to one or two people who took them. It is from teaching and helping teach many rescue courses (with and without other instructors) and seeing many of those intructorss fail to take care of many little things, and fail to organize the course for student success. And also seeing many other rescue courses taken and taught, and having evaluated a bunch of people in their rescue skills for leadership positions(who have taken rescue courses previously from both other instructors and myself) . Students who refer to their rescue course as 'hard' inevitably have terrible rescue skills that need to be completely retaught, because as explained above high stress learning is in fact not learning much at all.

Rescue can be taught to be an exhausting course. I know it can, because I see it taught that way all the time. There is absolutely no trick to teaching a 'hard' course. Don't think about students, fail to organize, don't break the skills down into components, teach them in a way that makes it hard or impossible to learn, and it is simple for an instructor to teach a 'hard' course, even to Navy divers. I have seen it done. It can also taught 'easy' with all the same exercises and scenarios fully performed by students who gain confidence as they move along. Guess which students retain the received information longer?

Since my students are often 90 lb Japanese women, imagine how much more tiring it would be for them to carry a 200lb American to shore. Part of teaching rescue is teaching any diver how to leverage what is at hand to effect a rescue (other divers, option to drag rather than carry etc.)

Introducing rescue breathing as one big pile of stuff can weaken anybody, regardless of fitness, whether they are old fat people or a Navy diver. Or it can be taught by having the students walk through the steps while standing in waist deep water in the pool or in the ocean. Guess which one ends up with better performance in the actual scenario exercises. Guess which one ends up with stressed out student divers who never gain confidence in the exercise, and makes mistakes in the full scenarios. I have taught a lot of rescue courses and evaluated a lot of rescue drills for DM courses and later, and inevitably the ones taught with the "do it all at once" method have to be retaught the skill, while the ones taken through the exercise step by step have that firmly locked into muscle memory where it can be brought out with just a light review.

I could walk through every exercise and point out where badly organized instructors fail to prepare themselves, learn from teaching and thus fail to properly teach their students, but that just gets long and involved and can really only be evaluated by other instructors who have the teaching material at hand.

The three mentioned problems, though, are easy to recognize, even by students. Because either they as students had unresolved problems or difficulties with them, or someone else in their class had unresolved problems or difficulties with them, in the typically taught rescue course. So many instructors like to compare genital size by bragging about how 'hard' their rescue courses are. They are not 'hard', they are just badly taught and organized, and I have to clean up their messes later by reteaching rescue breathing when their students come to me for Divemaster.

while the instructor is screaming "Faster, faster, you have to get the victim to shore!" tiring, especially if they need to do it multiple times because they forgot a critical step in the process.

You made my point for me. Badly organized instructors who fail to learn from their mistakes, and thus fail to organize and teach adequately, end up teaching 'hard' courses. Unfortunately these 'hard' courses make for little or no retention of the learned material. Why is someone in a position where they are making mistakes in the full scenarios? Because the instructor has failed to learn how to teach effectively. It is tiring to do the scenarios, certainly, but only a bad instructor's students will have to repeat them, because only a bad instructor's students will still be making mistakes in the full scenarios. A good instructor makes sure the skill is learned and repeated in a low stress, non-tiring situation, before it is put to practice in the tiring (for anyone) scenarios. Someone sent forward into the full scenarios before the skill is locked in is just not being taught properly, and the instructor is setting the student up for failure. That failure is not the student's fault; it is the instructor's fault. As you say, some get things right from the beginning, some need reps, but failing to ensure all students get it right before doing the scenarios is just failing to teach at all. It is counting on students to teach themselves, which makes the instructor rather pointless.

(And only a fully idiot instructor will be screaming anything at a student at any time during the full scenarios. Since part of the exercise is to measure the rescuer ability to maintain communication with people on the shore (remember that's the first thing you do after surfacing them, and you continue to pass along info on the way), yelling anything at them prevents evaluation of that communication. Again bad-ass instructors usually teach ass-bad courses, because they externalize their own problems and failings onto students. A student failing to perform in a class only reflects on the instructor, and no one else. A student feeling that a class is difficult similarly reflects on the instructor, and no one else. It does say anything about the value of the course other than it needs better care in instruction, and more self-awareness by the instructor, and much more focus on the water by the instructor.)

I am sorry you (or whoever's experiences you are referrring to) took a badly organized, and badly taught rescue course. It's an important course, and being taught in such a way as to not be able to internalize the full exercises permanently is a bad thing for everyone involved.

Last edited:
You are precisely the sort of instructor that I avoid.

I have to agree, most of his arguments are based on logical fallacies, an approach which implies to me either a conscious attempt at subterfuge or an illogical thought process. It is long past time to raise the B.S. flag on this.

For a simple example, take the statement: "The water is the only place where learning about diving actually counts for anything." This is clearly false, since the prime tenet of diving which is often simplified to, "never hold your breath," is "learned" both through lecture and reading or e-learning, and is supported in those formats with gas law topics and examples, IT IS NOT LEARNED IN THE WATER, and it does, I believe, "count for something." Similarly, the idea that, "If OW was not the hardest course a diver does (in term of getting actually getting from place A to place B), then there is something wrong with the OW instructor." is truly bizarre. I suspect that most experienced instructors here have had students who really did not need an open water course (naturals), as well as students who could not master the basic skills if their life depended on it. To accept his logic one would then have to conclude that in the former case (since it was not the "the hardest course a diver does") that, "there is something wrong with the OW instructor;" yet in the latter case, where the student does rather poorly, the instructor is also in the wrong, by his lights, since he does, "not think OW students should ever think of their OW course as 'hard' from their perspective." Add to that all the paragraphs that set of into the hinterlands from from completely unsupported (and I feel unsupportable) claims; such as:
  • Every other course adds such minor additional skills to OW that any instructor who designs his course to be 'harder' than OW is simply doing it wrong.
  • Instructor love to talk to much, so it will ever happen that no lectures and briefings will take place. We just cannot help ourselves; we are so awesome for becoming instructors.
  • The water is the only place where learning about diving actually counts for anything.
  • Everyone finds being lectured about physical behavior (to some extent) frustrating because it is pointless to know what to do if knowing how to do it is not in place.
  • Lectures are sometimes a necessary evil, but, since the instructors are usually just repeating the goal again and again, rather then the path of how to get there (apparently since they do not actually know how to get there anyway), the lectures are rarely of real value of to the student having difficulty.
  • What is increasingly clear is that many instructors are also unsure of how to take students there efficiently, and effectively. Thus 'hard' classes.
  • Instructors who want to talk a lot in lecture or briefing will always make the simple thing hard because quite simply the only thing that matters for diving is correct water behavior, and some instructors pour their effort into lectures and briefings, parts of the course which do not benefit the student.
  • It just benefits the instructor's ego since he/she gets students marvelling at her/his depth of knowledge and experience. The instructor ends up frustrated with students who 'do not listen', and students end up frustrated by their own inability to 'do what they are told'. But the instructor does get students to idolize her/him.
  • But this is the problem with trying to talk people into physical behavior: It's a waste of time on both ends. It is not a waste of time if the instructor is interested in the ego stroke though (for the instructor, for the course or for the agency). Unfortunately many instructors are happy to develop their own reputation (or the course's reputation, or the agency's reputation) at the expense of a diver's tuition
  • People, whether instructors or students have a limited window of top concentration. By demanding concentration away from the water, they are guaranteeing that second rate effort is put into the most important thing: the in-water work.
  • It's not efficient or particularly effective, just hard. One of the problems with extended courses is that if divers spend enough time doing anything long enough they will figure it out, even without an instructor's presence.
  • Of course teaching tech diving is simple because the entrance requirements mean that only students who have very little to learn will show up.
Each and every item above (and there are lots more) contains a significant logical fallacy. Most are constructed in such a fashion as to stroke the author's ego and to use what is a best a rare truth to put down anyone who might have the temerity to question his conclusions. Well, I question them, I think that he is far more full of himself then he is full of diving knowledge and teaching experience.

Last edited:
Anyone with that much passion could really be a great teacher with time and experience. Provided, that he/she can (and wants to) stay tapped into what all of the students' actions are telling him. I posted just to help highlight this, -not looking for a fight.

I can admire divers with great diving skills and instructors who are great educators/instructors. Find one who offers both, -I'm signing up for a course.

OW, I got the book in December, then at Easter spent 18 hours 1 to 1 with my Instructor (mainly in the water). The easiest bit was "buddy skills", coming from climbing I was used to looking after and being responsible for each other as a team, who had to be a self sufficient unit. Now every new skill has to be broken down, learnt bit at a time, practised and then used. I know my limitations, so would not sign up for any "Tech. Class".
P.S. I know this does not answer the original question, but I wanted to give an honest reply.

As in the first post, the bad-ass diver mentality is the source of 'hard' courses, not because the content is 'hard' but because some instructors, and some divers, want to be bad-ass. Of course they are not interested in teaching efficiently or effectively, because what is bad-ass about that? I can teach badly to make easy things hard and I am sure I did so before I did much teaching, but later I found that thinking about students made me re-evaluate things.
Once again we see the ego drenched, I'm the best on the block, 'cause I'm not the "baddest" construct. Tell you what beeno, I've seen excellent instructors who are meek and mild and excellent instructors what can blister the skin right off your back. I've seen both types run rather easy courses as well as rather hard courses. I'd say that your generalizations don't even make it past descriptions of special cases.
Of course, if you want a course filled with stories of killing sharks with my knife held between my teeth, then you are right, I am probably not where you want to be. I am not sure that anyone interested in learning to dive belongs in that sort of course though, for the reasons listed in the long post above. Good for bodice ripping stories, though not much to do with learning diving, in any conditions.
I'm likely the only person that you know that actually killed a shark, with a hand-to-hand weapon that was attacking. You can read the story here on scuba board from many years back. I have never told that story during a class, because there is no learning objective to it and doing so would be a waste of valuable training time. Most all instructors I know get the ego trip from the quality and capability of the students that they teach, not from relating sea-stories ... those are for pizza nights.
It is usually better to assume that someone knows more than they say, than less. By this, I mean that I am not basing what I say about rescue courses from talking to one or two people who took them. It is from teaching and helping teach many rescue courses (with and without other instructors) and seeing many of those intructorss fail to take care of many little things, and fail to organize the course for student success. And also seeing many other rescue courses taken and taught, and having evaluated a bunch of people in their rescue skills for leadership positions(who have taken rescue courses previously from both other instructors and myself) . Students who refer to their rescue course as 'hard' inevitably have terrible rescue skills that need to be completely retaught, because as explained above high stress learning is in fact not learning much at all.

I've seen a lot of incompetent instructors over the years, and complained about it regularly, as anyone who have read my posts on the board will tell you. But I have to say, given the way in which you express your opinions and couch you arguments, and your failure to provide any sort of diving resume on your profile makes me suspect that overstepping your credentials a bit when you go on about the "many" rescues courses your assisted with and taught, and the "many other rescue courses taken and taught," not to mention, "having evaluated a bunch of people in their rescue skills for leadership positions(who have taken rescue courses previously from both other instructors and myself)." Time to create some creditability for those claims.
Rescue can be taught to be an exhausting course. I know it can, because I see it taught that way all the time. There is absolutely no trick to teaching a 'hard' course. Don't think about students, fail to organize, don't break the skills down into components, teach them in a way that makes it hard or impossible to learn, and it is simple for an instructor to teach a 'hard' course, even to Navy divers. I have seen it done. It can also taught 'easy' with all the same exercises and scenarios fully performed by students who gain confidence as they move along. Guess which students retain the received information longer?
There you go again, you're addicted to logical fallacies. There is no causal connection between "hard" courses and instructors who, "Don't think about students, fail to organize, don't break the skills down into components, teach them in a way that makes it hard or impossible to learn." Except, perhaps, in your mind. Even when viewed in the most favorable light it is naught but: cum hoc ergo propter hoc. I counter your claim to, "having seen it done" with mine, I too have seen it done, both ways, with some instructors being highly effective using a "hard course" approach and other being equally effective with a softer, gentler approach. In my experience there is no correlation.
Since my students are often 90 lb Japanese women, imagine how much more tiring it would be for them to carry a 200lb American to shore. Part of teaching rescue is teaching any diver how to leverage what is at hand to effect a rescue (other divers, option to drag rather than carry etc.)
I suspect that what you have learned teaching 90 lbs. Japanese women maybe unique to the problems of teaching 90 lbs. Japanese women. Perhaps you should broaden your experience before offering up advice that most other are applying to teaching 200 lbs. occidental men, with about 20% occidental women mixed in. But, in any case, there are few 90 lbs. people who are going to be able to carry or drag a 200 lbs. person up and out of the water.
Introducing rescue breathing as one big pile of stuff can weaken anybody, regardless of fitness, whether they are old fat people or a Navy diver. Or it can be taught by having the students walk through the steps while standing in waist deep water in the pool or in the ocean. Guess which one ends up with better performance in the actual scenario exercises. Guess which one ends up with stressed out student divers who never gain confidence in the exercise, and makes mistakes in the full scenarios.
That's easy to answer: the one who has learned to use mouth to snorkel rescue breathing during transport.
I have taught a lot of rescue courses and evaluated a lot of rescue drills for DM courses and later, and inevitably the ones taught with the "do it all at once" method have to be retaught the skill, while the ones taken through the exercise step by step have that firmly locked into muscle memory where it can be brought out with just a light review.
I don't know any instructors, not one, out of the "many" I have seen, who teach an "all at once." BTW: This logical fallacy is referred to as a, "straw man."
I could walk through every exercise and point out where badly organized instructors fail to prepare themselves, learn from teaching and thus fail to properly teach their students, but that just gets long and involved and can really only be evaluated by other instructors who have the teaching material at hand.
Look, you are so emphatic and insistent that I am willing to consider that perhaps instructors in Japan are not very good. But there are lots of fine people, here on Scubaboard and out in the field whom you are misrepresenting that I have to call you on it.
The three mentioned problems, though, are easy to recognize, even by students. Because either they as students had unresolved problems or difficulties with them, or someone else in their class had unresolved problems or difficulties with them, in the typically taught rescue course. So many instructors like to compare genital size by bragging about how 'hard' their rescue courses are. They are not 'hard', they are just badly taught and organized, and I have to clean up their messes later by reteaching rescue breathing when their students come to me for Divemaster.
I can't say that I've ever "bragged" about how "hard" my rescue training is, but I think it fair to point out that most of my students would describe my course as one of the most difficult things that they have done in their life and would also point to the rescue training that they received as the most taxing portion of the course. But, on the other hand, I heard, first hand, from former students concerning literally hundreds of actual rescues of divers that they have had to conduct over the years, ranging from a few dealing with full blow AGEs to many that were little more than tired diver assists through difficult exits, and they universally comment on how everything just snapped into place and worked just the way it had been demonstrated during class, so I guess I'm doing something correctly, despite the "hard" nature of my program.
You made my point for me. Badly organized instructors who fail to learn from their mistakes, and thus fail to organize and teach adequately, end up teaching 'hard' courses.
That flies quite in the face of my experience, which is that poorly skilled and often badly organized instructors slough off the more rigorous portions of their standards and teach "easy" classes because they either can't actually do the skills themselves, or they're too lazy, or their too hung over. Rarely do they teach courses that would be described as "hard," that's way too much work.
Unfortunately these 'hard' courses make for little or no retention of the learned material.
Reference please.
Why is someone in a position where they are making mistakes in the full scenarios? Because the instructor has failed to learn how to teach effectively. It is tiring to do the scenarios, certainly, but only a bad instructor's students will have to repeat them, because only a bad instructor's students will still be making mistakes in the full scenarios. A good instructor makes sure the skill is learned and repeated in a low stress, non-tiring situation, before it is put to practice in the tiring (for anyone) scenarios. Someone sent forward into the full scenarios before the skill is locked in is just not being taught properly, and the instructor is setting the student up for failure. That failure is not the student's fault; it is the instructor's fault. As you say, some get things right from the beginning, some need reps, but failing to ensure all students get it right before doing the scenarios is just failing to teach at all. It is counting on students to teach themselves, which makes the instructor rather pointless. And only a fully idiot instructor will be screaming anything at a student at any time during the full scenarios. Since part of the exercise is to measure the rescuer ability to maintain communication with people on the shore (remember that's the first thing you do after surfacing them, and you continue to pass along info on the way), yelling anything at them prevents evaluation of that communication.
Ah, something we agree on.
Again bad-ass instructors usually teach ass-bad courses, because they externalize their own problems and failings onto students.
Another, and this time conjunctive, logical fallacy.
A student failing to perform in a class only reflects on the instructor, and no one else.
Ah, something we agree on. We have a saying, "If they have not learned, have you actually taught?"
A student feeling that a class is difficult similarly reflects on the instructor, and no one else.
B.S. it may reflect on any number of things, including an inadequate suite of prerequisites.
It does say anything about the value of the course other than it needs better care in instruction, and more self-awareness by the instructor, and much more focus on the water by the instructor.)
Perhaps there's a word missing in this sentence?
I am sorry you (or whoever's experiences you are referrring to) took a badly organized, and badly taught rescue course. It's an important course, and being taught in such a way as to not be able to internalize the full exercises permanently is a bad thing for everyone involved.
As we say, "If they have not learned, have you actually taught?"

Beano,

You missed my point. And you made incorrect assumptions. I actually feel that my instructor was excellent, and he DID do each small item by itself until I could do it properly. But when I put it all together at first, I was dwelling on some things, and forgot to do other things. My point was NOT that I didn't come away from the course with the course material learned. It was that some students need more practice to acheive muscle memory. I feel that my instructor put in alot of extra effort to see that happen, and it eventually did. He pointed out things that could be improved, and gave me the opportunity to work on it, for as long as I wanted, with him as the victim.

I want to correct one thing in my former post. "Shout" is a relative thing. When someone's mouth is right next to your ear, because they are the victim that you are towing, it does not take much volume for it to be a little strong. I used that word incorrectly, only because that was the affect that it had on me, to push me to put in a little more effort.

I have had bad instructors, and this one was a good one.

The question that the OP asked was what course was hard. I think that for most people, if they don't find Rescue at least somewhat of a challenge, either they knew most of the material beforehand, or the instructor did not push them to be as affective in all aspects as they could be. Anyone who claims their rescue course was easy, and they did not have previous exposure to the material, in my book, probably had a lax instructor, and probably did not learn as much as they could have with a different instructor.

"Hard" doesn't mean bad. To me how good a course was is based on the amount of knowledge or skill I walk away with. My previous mainstream courses were not any sort of a challenge, were designed to meet the minumum requirements, and to me, the bad is on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_B
I do agree that dismissing classroom and on-land education out of hand is going much too far. I've said it before, that I believe there are different kinds of learners, and although the kinesthetic learner will do best with hands-on corrections during execution, visual and auditory learners may do better with more lecture or more video. I have found video feedback to be one of the most valuable things anyone has done in my diving classes. SEEING what I am doing, and being able to correlate it with my own proprioceptive information, has helped make faster, bigger changes than being tapped on body parts or doing land simulation drills.

But I will totally agree with this statement:
it is pointless to know what to do if knowing how to do it is not in place.
I worked with my Fundamentals instructor for a year and a half after my class. I took a second class, Rec Triox, from him, and I just could not pass the thing. My buddy and I went out time after time for reevaluations (all done at no charge, so there was no profit motive in holding us back) and just couldn't quite reach the bar. I eventually went off and took some "diving lessons" from a different instructor. My Fundies teacher subsequently contacted me in what I still think was an amazing e-mail: He said, "I have given you feedback in your classes on how you have done and what you could improve; now I'm asking you to do the same thing for me." He wanted to know why I had changed instructors. And I told him -- he was very good at telling me the "what", and showing me where I didn't manage it, but he wasn't helping me with the "how", and I just wasn't having any luck figuring it out on my own. Practicing diligently does not result in improvement, if the same mistakes are being made repeatedly.

The new instructor helped me a great deal with the "how". For example, he immediately spotted the fact that, when I got things out of my left pocket, or reached for my left-hand valve, I rolled my body to the right and vented my dry suit -- this resulted in buoyancy problems I'd have to fuss with in the middle of the drill. Just learning to inhibit that roll got rid of a ton of instability.

I think a lot of instruction is about the what. I would like to be better in helping the students I work with with the how.

The "hardest" class I ever had was a NAUI advanced diver class. Ditch and Don in open ocean, mask flooding, air turned off, etc.

This was off La Jolla cove on a nice brisk winters day. Our instructor kept us alert and learning. We then went back in the ocean
for a relaxing dive in the winter kelp.

Ditch and Don in open ocean, mask flooding, air turned off, etc.

This raises another question. Are there simply some skills which are difficult? Or can all skills be broken down into components and rendered smooth and easy to learn, if enough educational thought is given to the process?

I know there have been physical skills which have been difficult for me to master -- reaching my isolator, for example, which turned out to be more of a problem of exposure protection than anything else. But the most "difficult" things in my best classes have all been "thought problems" -- USING the skills to solve problems and come up with good answers for issues. Most of the physical skills, other than maintaining buoyancy control when heavily task-loaded, seem pretty easy to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom