Whats the dumbest thing you've done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost ran out of air on my first attempt at spear fishing-fortunately for me I was only in about 30 feet of water but it was an eye opener.
Then once I jumped in with no weight belt (HELLO BUDDY CHECKS). I didn't know until my tank started getting low. At that point it was a struggle to stay down but once I found the anchor line I was fine.
Anyway, I think both of these were done in my first season of diving. I hope I am better at this now.

Tried to have an intelligent, adult conversation with some people.

Oh, dive related. I do at least one dumb thing per dive. If I don't, it's not a good dive.:wink:

Last edited:
Bought a used air integrated dive computer at the tent sale of the dive shop for like $45, so I figured it wasn't a bad deal because the hose was worth $30.

Hooked it up to my reg, turned it on and the damn thing was giving wacky pressure readings, took me a few moments to realize it was reading bars... oh well just multiply everything by 15 and I should be good.

First dive with the computer is solo on a deeper wreck, i get down to the bottom and check on the depth... it reads 563!!! (or something like that) Well now i am bummed, i got a planned deco dive, no back up depth guage or computer and now this POS isn't working.

I figure i can do 10 minutes and just do a little deco on the way up, so i continue to dive. The air pressure is dropping as expected, although multiplying by 15 to convert bars to "real" pressure of psi is a pain.

After about the 4th time I look at the computer i realize there is a decimal in the depth reading... The depth is 56.3 METERS, not 563 feet. What a pain, so now I realized i would have to multiply depth by around 3 to get feet. (Even at 170 feet, i knew it required a factor of about 3.3, but that is just too much math to do.

After a few months, I actually learned to dive pretty well with the bar and meter read out.

BTW, I don't care what people say about the metric system, feet is a much more precise and reasonble means to measure depth, plus who the heck wants their depth reading with a decimal in it? Hell fathoms would have been preferable to meters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom