What's the diving like in Colorado?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OU

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wondering where you like to dive in Colorado. I have been to some beautiful clear water mountain lakes, and have wondered if anyone dives them.

what's the diving like in Colorado? COLD

where do Colorado divers dive? Santa Rosa, NM or Crater Lake, UT or Cozumel (by plane out of DIA)

when we live in CO we tried Aurora Reservoir (lime green and murky, 3' vis when we were there) and Chatfield Resv. (much worse, 1' vis at best) and my hubby tried Pueblo Resv. (freakin' cold and vis was inches). That's my thoughts on Colorado diving!

I understand the conditions in Horseshoe Resv. near Fort Collins are not the best most of the year.

We drive 5+ hours to NM for cold water with 25-50ft viz, does that answer your question? :D

Cold and mostly murky are the best descriptions. The best consistent visibility I have seen is in Jefferson Lake at 10-15', but its in the low 40s. I suspect better visibility is available in some of the glacial tarns but access and temperature would likely be an issue.

Thanks for the replies. It certainly doesn't sound as great as I thought it might be!

Well, I was in chatfield for some training dives last week. Vis was 2-3 ft, and there are some great things to see like a washing machine with fish trapped in it. a little boat, and a sunk shopping cart.

The crawfish were a kick though. They way they stand up on their legs was funny. Tried to get a good pic, but they really wouldn't cooperate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom