What's the deal with drysuits and ankle weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too, have seen what Helimvee has: some places insist that ankle weights are "The Only Right Way" (pronounced complete with the capitals!), others have ankle weights in stock only so you can all some weight to the neck of a tank.

It's a generalization, but the non-ankle weight places usually have a high proportion of technical divers in the instructor cadre. The ankle weight-shops...not so much.

It's as if some inertia was placed in the mindset of a shop's community at the beginning, and has been self-perpetuating ever since!

All the best, James

People use ankle weights for two reasons:

1. Incorrect trim, ie. tank and weights not properly placed
2. Suit doesn't fit, allowing too much air to enter the legs

In either case, ankle weights doesn't address the real problem.

As some others have said they usually are not needed. For me part of the solution was a DUI weight harness that let me carry my weight a little lower on my body than a belt could safely perch. This has worked well for most of my configurations.

However... This summer I went back to my neoprene drysuit for a dive and it was the first time I used it with my Freedom plate. Even after lowering the weight harness mid-dive I did fiid myself uncomfortable nose heavy. If I dive that combination again I'll consider moving some weight to the ankles to tip the see-saw.

Some divers just see it as some "easy to carry" weight. It does get it off the hips/back I suppose. Then again you lift half of it it with every step.:confused:

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom