What's The Big Deal With Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all know it NEVER ends :) seriously, new first stages, new can light, hoses, stage kits, training etc ...why would I sell my BM stuff? Not hearing the benefits...

Why do you need new first stages?
Why do you need a new can light?
Why do you need new hoses? (you will need to add 2 shorty HP hoses and another SPG, so I guess you got me there)
Stage kits? Are you not already using stages in BM?
Training is strictly optional, if you have the time and location to work on the stuff yourself you can always just user a "mentor" friend.

It looks as if you really an NOT wanting to be convinced of anything nor is that necessary as sidemount is NOT for everyone or every situation. Sidemount is simply an option. My response was simply to show that "cost" is not as big of a factor that you make it out to be.

How about just a different tool for a different job??? How about just some one's personal preference, or someone's physical limitation of carrying 2 tank on their back on land ......

People listed the advantages and why they prefer side mount, and you keep discounting them as "not significant". So what is significant? If it get the job done, whatmore significant is needed besides "because I prefer it". Have a open mind and respect other's choice.

I haven't been trying side mount for too long. Here is my take on the concept, I could be wrong. Side mount has a lot of root from the "self reliance" diver. Side mount config is very individual, everyone like their setup a bit different. When gear failure happens, side mount has a lot of advantages if you are by yourself. By that I don't necessary mean solo diving, let's say you are in a small tunnel place and you have a reg failure, with BM, you buddy may not have the clearance to come help you. There are some failure mode where you will lost half the gas in BM, but not with side mount ... I can see a lot of advantages if those advantages are priority to you. If not, they become "not significant"

Last edited:
My take out from it is that there are some useful but not significantly material benefits..travel, cave/wreck restrictions, physical load, easier shutdowns.
Those are the main ones in my mind, other than tank-off stuff and bedding-plain stuff (where you need to be flat). However, I don't know what kind of "material" benefits you could expect out of sidemount. I didn't mean that sarcastically, I'm honestly curious as to your thoughts/expectations.

There are some disadvantages too of course, but most of all it seems to be more fun to dive, is that about right?
There are certainly disadvantages. It's just a matter of deciding if owning that tool is worth it for your toolbox. About it being more fun: I don't know if I'd say that. I enjoy the feeling of freedom of diving SM....but I think it's very personal.

If you don't think it isn't for you then don't do it. There are lots of cool caves and passages that BM won't go and I am not talking about anything extreme like no mount or even taking one bottle off. Jug Hole is a prime example. Have you never got to the end of a passage in BM and see the line continuing and not wondered what was down there? As mentioned if you are traveling it is a major advantage as tanks are more readily available anywhere and the gear can be considerably lighter. I know some hard core GUE guys who have basically quit diving BM. Do what makes you happy but don't just think that it isn't a great tool and that it isn't way more flexible than BM. Any dive you can do in BM I can do in SM. Not saying it is the best way but it can be done. You can't say the same about being able to do any dive in BM that I can do in SM. Each to there own.

Biggest benefit to sidemount ... it gives you so much more to talk about on ScubaBoard ... :D

Seriously, my only reason for switching to sidemount is because my body's reached a point where I'm no longer flexible enough to manage back-mount manifold valves ... and since I wasn't ready to give up on dives that require doubles, I needed to find an alternative. It was either sidemount or CCR ... and of the two, sidemount is the less expensive option ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As for cost, of course it will cost you if you are switching from BM to SM, but so as someone switching from SM to BM, or someone from flesh to either SM or BM. The apple to apple comparison here is for if someone starts OW in double today and need to choose between SM and BM, which cost more. I would probably say BM will cost slightly more because of the bands and manifold. BC costs about the same. Same set of regulators, different hose length, cost similar. SM double need additional SPG. Lights will cost similar. Training cost will be similar too.

You made a few mistakes in that list. Take it from someone who dives sidemoutn exclusively: I don't use stage kits on anything (except my O2 bottle, but it's rigged like most BM divers have theirs rigged). You also don't need a new can light or first stages. I'm not trying to sell you on sidemount, I'm simply pointing out that what you've been told is not correct. If you have a BM-doubles set up, you'd need:
  • SM BCD ($350-$850 in the US)
  • Hoses (Maybe $100 for all of them)
  • Plugs for your manifold ($30)
  • Assorted bolts*line ($20, but I had all of this in my box already)

My point? Besides the SM harness and hoses you really don't need much gear beyond what you already own.

The big benefits I see is that you can see all of the failure points quickly and you get fully independent/redundant gas supplies. Other benefits are the flexibility, stability, and comfort. However, the majority of my diving (>90%) is in a cave where I think sidemount is most beneficial. Regardless, sidemount is just one specifc tool. If you don't need it, you don't have to own it....but don't claim that you need new first stages or canister lights to dive SM.

I think claim is a bit strong. Apeks Tek 3s OK for sidemount? are you happy to swap them if you're wrong? Can light cord is short and old(dive rite) will that reach from my arse to my hand? No it wont. So your point, as you put it, is based not on knowing what gear I own, but on having had a bad day at a guess.

How about just a different tool for a different job??? How about just some one's personal preference, or someone's physical limitation of carrying 2 tank on their back on land ......

People listed the advantages and why they prefer side mount, and you keep discounting them as "not significant". So what is significant? If it get the job done, whatmore significant is needed besides "because I prefer it". Have a open mind and respect other's choice.

I haven't been trying side mount for too long. Here is my take on the concept, I could be wrong. Side mount has a lot of root from the "self reliance" diver. Side mount config is very individual, everyone like their setup a bit different. When gear failure happens, side mount has a lot of advantages if you are by yourself. By that I don't necessary mean solo diving, let's say you are in a small tunnel place and you have a reg failure, with BM, you buddy may not have the clearance to come help you. There are some failure mode where you will lost half the gas in BM, but not with side mount ... I can see a lot of advantages if those advantages are priority to you. If not, they become "not significant"
Read the OP properly.

I think claim is a bit strong.
I don't :wink:

Apeks Tek 3s OK for sidemount?
Ok, not exceptionally flexible, but ok.

are you happy to swap them if you're wrong?
Since they cost about as much as all my Apeks, Mares, Scubapro and Tecline combined, I would be happy to, won't get that chance, though, since you will rather sell them and by differnet ones instead or use them yourself.

Can light cord is short and old(dive rite) will that reach from my arse to my hand?
Route it over your shoulder, backmount it (or whatever).

Could go on, but I think I made my point...

Those are the main ones in my mind, other than tank-off stuff and bedding-plain stuff (where you need to be flat). However, I don't know what kind of "material" benefits you could expect out of sidemount. I didn't mean that sarcastically, I'm honestly curious as to your thoughts/expectations.

There are certainly disadvantages. It's just a matter of deciding if owning that tool is worth it for your toolbox. About it being more fun: I don't know if I'd say that. I enjoy the feeling of freedom of diving SM....but I think it's very personal.

How about a rational judgement about what cost/benefit people who were cave/technical divers got from the switch - apart from the caveats I made(eg restrictions). I mean surely you spend a load of money and time on something, it was for a reason or reasons right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom