Whats the best way to get around Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that is correct - For several years now I have bought an "International Driving Permit" from AAA in the USA and it has been accepted by all the rental agencies we have used on Cayman. AAA IDP International Driving Permit

I have also purchased an international driving permit from AAA and have used it with no problem in Europe (and in fact many rental companies there require it.) I have no experience with using it on Cayman, as I have a Cayman drivers license and so do not need a permit.

Not sure I understand the logic here. An international drivers licence costs $20 and you need to supply passport photos which arguably cost another $10.
You are no further ahead than with the permit purchased from the Cayman rental company.

I also always buy the full insurance package from the rental company. It may be redundant but there is something to be said for the convenience of being able to walk away at the end of the week with no hassle. I've been banged in Cayman parking lots several times and at the West Bay Dock. Drunk driving seems to be prevalent on island weekends and when you add the difficulty of driving on the left, roundabouts, and some 3 lane roads., it's a wonder there aren't more accidents. I've been driving on GC at least twice a year for the last 20 years but I am still scared s-less every Friday and Saturday evening on the roads.

Your own credit card insurance might reimburse for damages, but you will still have to pay a substantial amount at the rental company first as well as do police report. I'd rather pay extra to be able to just walk away.

Not sure I understand the logic here. An international drivers licence costs $20 and you need to supply passport photos which arguably cost another $10.
You are no further ahead than with the permit purchased from the Cayman rental company.
I think AAA didn't charge me for the photos because I was a member, so my cost was $20 US.

And I agree that for one trip you are no further ahead. However I, and some others, make multiple trips a year and for that it's definitely worth it. The Cayman visitors one is good for only up to 6 months.

Just make sure this doesn't happen to you:
4841474616_fc7893bf35_b.jpg

8nPPJh

I think AAA didn't charge me for the photos because I was a member, so my cost was $20 US

You got a deal. AAA charges $10 for 2 photos in Indianapolis for a member. I used one for an AOW card and one for a Enriched Air card.

The Compass Point Resort recommends using a Garmin GPS to easily find them on the East End,

I chuckled when I read this. My first thought was there is only one road that goes to the East End and CPR sets right on it so why a GPS, but I guess it could be helpful getting to that one road from the airport.

Let us know what you think. How do you get around when visiting?

Nice to have articles like this for info and help in planning.

Staying on 7MB the first time we went, everything was right there, so there was no need for a rental. The only time I used a taxi was to get to a golf course and the 2 guys I met and golfed with at the course took me back to the hotel.
Have stayed at Cobalt Coast in West Bay with and without a car rental, I recommend a car rental. Just walking to the main road (and waiting) to catch a public bus, that I don't recall having AC isn't fun when it's 85-90º. Even though there is a schedule with the pickup/drop off points, you are on a schedule, which isn't necessarily a negative. A car obviously gives the freedom of going places on your schedule.
Have rented a car the times we stayed on the East End (staying there again next year!) and that is almost a necessity unless you like long walks and/or eating at the same places or fixing your own meals everyday. You could make it without a rental with good planning and depending on where you stay, but we know that we will go to favorite restaurants, a beach bbq, Georgetown, and possibly do a few dives on the west end, which warrants a rental for us.

I got an international license for a European trip that involved several countries. Wouldn’t have bothered for just one. Have a UK, NY and Caymanian license. The KY one was from many years ago before we lived here and when we rented cars. We did from several different companies and to be honest never felt any more or less pressure to buy additional insurance than I have at JFK, Newark, Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester. Think it just depends on who you get at the desk and how much you understand beforehand. We really ended up paying up in Italy with an international license but with a total language barrier. No ones “fault” and a totally awesome trip.

I don't think that is correct - For several years now I have bought an "International Driving Permit" from AAA in the USA and it has been accepted by all the rental agencies we have used on Cayman.

This information was obtained by talking with some of the rental car agencies we work with, RCIPS police officers, and DMV employees.

All the international divers license does is translate your state-issued license into another language. That's it. You can not obtain an international drivers license in lieu of a state DL. The AAA is not a government agency, and has no authority over another countries laws, or even US State laws for that matter.

A country may set its own laws, and of course one country cannot tell another what they may or may not accept to drive here in Cayman. Some counties will accept an accredited IDL to operate a motor vehicle. From what I was told, Cayman is not one of them. International drivers license are have no mention at all in the Cayman motor vehicle code. If you were stopped in Cayman for a moving violation, or had an accident, you would be legally required to show your state-issued ID. Showing an international driver's license alone would not suffice. Remember, all it is, is a translation, and since Cayman is an English-speaking country, it's not needed.

One of the managers of the local Dollar Rental says he does not accept them. Now then, some rental agencies do. The gist I seem to be getting is a lack of understanding of what the IDL really is, and how it works. This doesn't seem to be limited to rental companies - some police officers do not fully understand the International Driver's License. I was told some will accept it if handed, not understanding what it even is. Technically this is not within Cayman law. Cayman police have a reputation of not really bothering tourists, unless you do something really stupid anyway.

Those who know and understand what the IDL is, don't accept it, unless it is accompanied by a state-issued ID.

Our advice for those who wish to rent a car here is to save your time and money with the IDL. Get the Cayman permit. Make sure your auto insurance or credit card insurance covers you in the Cayman Islands, and drive carefully.

I doubt that the AAA would run a scam, and I doubt that the Caymanian rental agencies would accept it if it were....

We are not saying AAA is running a scam - they are very reputable, and they are one of the few companies authorized by the Department of State to issue such a document. But if you google 'international driving license' you will find hundreds of companies that aren't authorized to do such a thing, and are really just issuing you a worthless card for money.

Drunk driving seems to be prevalent on island weekends and when you add the difficulty of driving on the left, roundabouts, and some 3 lane roads., it's a wonder there aren't more accidents. I've been driving on GC at least twice a year for the last 20 years but I am still scared s-less every Friday and Saturday evening on the roads.

Sadly this is very true. Driving to work the morning after a big holiday weekend, you will literally find wrecks of cars strewn about - many piled in the center of roundabouts.

The police enforce it pretty aggressively, and their DUI laws are more aggressive than what is in the states, but it still occurs.

There is definitely some conflicting information out there, for sure. So I did some digging...

The DMV makes no mention at Visitors Permit
of an alternative to a Visitors Permit.

However, The Traffic Bill, 2011 states:
29. (1) In this section, “Convention country” means a country which is a party
to -
(a) the Convention on Road Traffic concluded in Paris in 1926;
(b) the Convention on Road Traffic concluded in Geneva in 1949; or
(c) the Convention on Road Traffic concluded at Vienna in 1968.

(2) A visitor who holds a domestic licence from a Convention country or
holds an international driver’s permit from such a country may, on the basis of
that permit, drive in the Islands for a period not exceeding six months.

The Cayman Resident website also backs this up at Driving Licence Rules for Visitors — Cayman Resident
  1. You are allowed to drive in Cayman using an international driver’s licence which is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. You will not have to obtain a Visitors’ Permit.

So if this isn't the case, someone needs to make these resources aware of it.

So now the confusion continues... I figured I would go straight to the source - Inspector Ian Yearwood who is in charge of the Traffic & Roads Policing Unit of the RCIPS and got this answer back:
Please note that the visitors permit under the Traffic Law of the Cayman Islands no longer exist.

For countries that do not fall under the Geneva Convention you are permitted to drive in the class vehicle from your country for a period of one (1) month

For countries that do fall under the Geneva Convention you are permitted to drive in the class vehicle from your country for a period of six (6) months.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police has therefore to comply with this law.

So maybe we were ALL wrong!

I have messaged caymanresident.com to get them to independently verify and make changes to their page - I note that the DMV page also hasn't been updated to reflect this. Soon come, I guess. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom