What's the best way to enter & exit from shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some excellent advice in this thread!

To future Bonaire Shore Divers: The earlier post of a Bonaire Shore entry is exactly what everyone thinks entries will be like - until they actually get there and try it. Sure, there are a few sites like this but most are not. However, many sites WILL KIND OF LOOK LIKE THAT PICTURE ... and that is what is misleading. From the shore it often looks like a nice sandy entry but in reality what you are seeing is the surf stirring up the sand in the water giving the illusion of a smooth sandy bottom when in reality it is masking a usually uneven rocky bottom. This isn't to scare off anyone - just to give awareness that photos like that often create expectations. The shore diving in Bonaire is awesome - but you're rarely (most likely never) just waking out on a smooth sandy bottom.

After two trips I think I fell into a system pretty much described by others. But I will note a few differences / preferences:

1.) I prefer Hogarthian setup so I have my alternate below my chin on a necklace. This means I can get to air w/o using my hands if needed. This only happened on one occasion coming back in when I slipped well after thinking my exit would be w/o incident. Having to hold a reg in one hand - well it ties up one useful hand be it entry or exit.

2.) I ended up doing the "duck walk" too. So I ended up putting my mask on for entries. I'm not sure why people enter with it off??? This allows me to quickly get my head underwater and see the bottom if needed. Once you can see the bottom and the BC is inflated enough to carry the weight the entry is easy. Plus, at this point you already have your mask on so you can use both hands to put on fins and be able to see them underwater if needed. Also, I kinda liked the fact that once I was about waist deep I could settle down and let the surf and inflated BC carry me out deeper where I could put on fins.

3.) The Seasoft Sunrays are great boots for Bonaire (I used them for both trips). But just remember, even boots like that can roll around on your foot depending on how hard you are slipping. Your ankle will be fine, but the entire boot can roll around where the sole is facing left or right vs straight down. I told myself the next time I go I'm taking my drysuit boots! Actually, I think an old pair of converse tennis shoes would be perfect. The seasoft boots come in two heights - I know the taller ones do not roll on my foot but are a lot harder to get off when the dive is done so I had brought the shorter ones on the second trip.

4.) We often had one or two people enter at the site first w/o rigs on to figure out the best way. In some cases, these people would first help others enter and then go back and get their rigs. This was also useful if someone was not comfortable entering / exiting with cameras. The reverse was done for exits. So if you have a larger group this may be an option for you.

5.) As mentioned earlier, that first step down can be a jolt. When diving one site south of the airport what looked like a one foot drop was more like 2 or 3. With all the gear on - needless to say it was a shock.

6.) On our second trip we noticed the piles of stones and used them whenever possible. They almost always gave really nice entry/exit points to minimize walking over really rough uneven parts.

7.) I think I recall my best luck entering w/o falling was sorta keeping my body at a 45 degree angle to the shore and then lead with one foot to find a spot, bring rear foot near that spot and then quickly lead again with the first foot. As the waves come in you have one foot down solid (most of the time) and you're not square to the wave as it comes in. But its been nearly a year now so its a bit foggy now.

The shore dives always seem to be the best dives so hopefully you find a way that works for you. I think I could shore dive invisibles every day and not get bored!

What I've always used is to remember...Baby steps!! Remember Baby steps. Your heel goes no further than your toes.

Others have said most of what I can. I'll follow up a few points & make one.

1.) Surf conditions can obscure the viz. in the shallows & cause buddy separation. Use a compass; once you have your heading (let's say due west for sake of argument), then if the surf stirs up sand & rolls you around a bit, you can keep correcting & get back on track. Once out over the reef, you & your buddy may be close & can see each other. A friend & I learned this once on Bonaire; took 2 entries before we got the dive in.

2.) I '3'rd' SeaSoft Sunrays, and 2'nd the stipulation that they can slide on your feet some. Before them I wore regular old thin-soled dive 'booties,' and hurt my foot walking on the jagged iron shore at Oil Slick Leap while geared up (this was on land); my foot was intermittently sore for several weeks.

3.) Buddy Dive Resort indeed as a pier you can giant stride off, or a ladder to go in via. So does Eden Beach Resort. The former has a 'real' reef; the ladder rubble in the shallows, & the wreck of the Bakanal out aways & slightly north, down around maybe 80 feet or so? I 2'nd Windsock as a good site for fairly easy entry & exit, with a large wooden pier you can go in & come out by.

4.) Some northern sites require you to come out roughly where you went in. For example, let's say you're lousy at navigation, and after a lengthy dive at Oil Slick Leap (big giant stride in), you pop up & don't see the ladder necessary to exit. You don't know whether you're north of it, or south of it. Oh, crap. You got some surface swimming to do! You'll eventually make your way south to some place you can get out, but now you need a ride to go get your truck!

5.) Ol'Blue/Tolo is a good northern site. Andrea I & Andrea II are fine sites where entry & exit usually aren't difficult.

6.) The Invisibles can be a good one, I agree, if you're okay with a long swim out. My wife is sea sick-prone (yes, we know about Bonine & Ginger Root), and she hates Invisibles because she gets sick if she's at the surface much.

7.) Beware Aquarius if you aren't good with navigation & dive with people prone to sea sickness. We dove there & had a great, smooth sandy shore entry, but it was through a somewhat narrow channel. My wife gets sea sick during the dive, and when she gets sea sick, 2 things come into play - 1.) She gets all flustered & MUST EXIT NOW BY THE MOST DIRECT WAY POSSIBLE, and 2.) For reasons I still don't understand, even if we're right near shore, and diving with another buddy so she ought to be able to walk out & leave the other 2 of us diving, oh no, I must exit with her. At Aquarius, the combination of 1.) & 2.) lead to a large abrasion on my leg due to crawling over rough rocks.

8.) All in all, the southern sites often have a greater length of shoreline you could exit from (albeit not all easy exits) as opposed to some northern sites (like Oil Slick Leap).

9.) On the issue of sea urchins, while I usually don't see them out that much by day, at the Hilma Hooker entry my wife pointed out there were lots of them in holes along the iron shore where we were entering. This came up because I didn't like the step-off & suggested sitting on the edge, putting my feet down & then standing (not the greatest thing to try with rough iron shore to begin with, but the urchins really scared me out of it).

Richard.

Others have said most of what I can. I'll follow up a few points & make one.

9.) On the issue of sea urchins, while I usually don't see them out that much by day, at the Hilma Hooker entry my wife pointed out there were lots of them in holes along the iron shore where we were entering. This came up because I didn't like the step-off & suggested sitting on the edge, putting my feet down & then standing (not the greatest thing to try with rough iron shore to begin with, but the urchins really scared me out of it).

Richard.

I noticed tons of urchins in the holes. Kind of surprises me that no one seems to ever mention them as more of an issue. I assume our boots offer some protection but I'm still pretty leary of them too.

sinistar and drrich- agreed the Seasoft Sonray soles can slip. DH and I actually went down a size on our replacement pair. When totally dry, the boot is slightly tight, however, once wet, they fit prefectly with very little slide.

Scrubasteve- ... 1 of those smaller tanks gives me 1 to 1 1/2 hours of air with plenty left...times that by 62 and I get at least 1- 62 hour dive...
doh.gif
So maybe that is why my computer gives me such long sit out times.... Oh, I just hold the tanks together with "Duck" tape. Works like a charm :snicker:

I think if I was bound and determined to walk over a rocky shore entrance with plenty of urchins, I would be wearing combat boots and force fins ( the hockey fin model as it is for strong swimming divers) --with the force fins you can slide them right over combat boots, or work boots--whatever you need to protect your feet.

The rougher the surf is, the MORE you need your fins on prior to walking into the surf....when I see divers trying to put their fins on in 3 to 4 foot surf, I usually see divers having a horrible time getting knocked over and being needlessly helpless without the ability to immediately to get the fins on quickly--and just when they need more balance than ever, they try to stand on one foot....tell me this is not kind of silly!

The alternative is to practice walking backwards till it is easy...if you have to do a little of this without the tank, fine...at some point it is easy....

Here in Okinawa we have a reef/rocky entrances on our shores- backing in with fins is just nor an option. We normally get a good chuckle at the non-locals that try this method- it sounds like this area has many the same drawbacks. Entering quickly to chest deep and getting the reg in and starting the dive as you put your fins eliminates the balancing with on one foot.

In Bonaire I used a large suicide clip (carabiner) to attach my fins to my BC it frees up your hands for climbing and balancing and simply put fins on in waist/ chest deep water with reg in your mouth.

Safe Diving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom