Whats the best placement for a lift bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7ftDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Upon the suggestion of some veterans at my LDS i just got a lift bag for when i go out to the wrecks in the area. I have been showed how to use it, but im still a little unsure as to where to attach it to my gear (deflated of course) anyone have any suggestions? or even better a picture of how yours is attached?

On another note, if your lift bag has a dump valve, in the instance of a BC failure, could you safely use it to ascend? I know it definalty isnt suggested but it seems pretty dangerous to me but since im rather inexperienced i just thought id ask

Using 3/16" bungee, I made two loops that I attach/tie to the lower part of my backplate. The lift bag gets rolled up an inserted into this loop. Easy to grab and pull out with one hand.

Technically you could use the lift bag but it would be very hard to control, almost out of control. One thing you can do is practice with it in shallow water and see how much control you have over it.....then you will know if you actually want to try it at depth. But it is doable.

I'm with Tamas - my lift bag (DiveRite 100#) came with a sleeve which has two loops. I use two heavy duty tie wraps to attach it at the base of the backpack. The bag is there every dive, wreck or not.

I stuff my into the pouch in the MC Pack on my backplate and hold it in place with a double-ender that's attached to my butt d-ring and finger spool

Rachel

Yes you can use the lift bag to safely ascend, just don't attatch it to you in any way... (it would be better if you could physically swim your rig up though)I keep a 6' bag/safety sausage in a pouch on the bottom of my backplate, and when I need or want a second bag, I just clip it off with my reel to my right hip d ring.

Jonny_Rocket:
Yes you can use the lift bag to safely ascend, just don't attatch it to you in any way... (it would be better if you could physically swim your rig up though)I keep a 6' bag/safety sausage in a pouch on the bottom of my backplate, and when I need or want a second bag, I just clip it off with my reel to my right hip d ring.

if you have a lift bag not a sausage what works for me is you can just attach it to (depending on the length of your lift bag "cord") your scooter ring or butt d-ring so the dump valve is easily accessible and use it as a BC dumping air as you go up.. no big deal..
on a sausage the dump valve is higher up so it's virtually impossible and dangerous to use it in the same manner..

I used to store it bunged up to the bottom of my BP but I found out that it works out better for me in the MC storage pack and/or the side pocket of the dry suit.

The thing with attatching it to your scooter ring is what if the dump fails or doesn't dump fast enough? By the time you take out a cutting tool you've already took a ride you know?

Jonny_Rocket:
The thing with attatching it to your scooter ring is what if the dump fails or doesn't dump fast enough? By the time you take out a cutting tool you've already took a ride you know?

I agree. I would NEVER attach an inflated liftbag/sausage/anything to myself.

I do, however, attach it to my rear scooter ring when it is rolled up and stowed below my backplate.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom