Whats the best modern Western?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Unforgiven or Tombstone are hard to beat.

For comedy, you got to go with Blazing Saddles! Ah, who am I kiddin'? Evewything fwom the waist down, is Kaput!

For a miniseries we liked Deadwood a lot.Unfortunately they don't seem to have plans of making more based on what I'm seeing on IMDB. But it's rated over 9 stars on IMDB which is about the highest rating I've seen on just about anything so I'm not alone in that opinion.

Legends of the Fall is great, and I always enjoyed Quigley Down Under.

OK, you said THE BEST! Well, I just can not choose just one! :dork2:

Firefly - The series or Serenity the movie...

Not only is Lonesome Dove the best modern western, it's one of the best all time western's IMHO.

RonFrank:
and I always enjoyed Quigley Down Under.

:

Now hold on a minute...that was Western AUSTRALIA...does this mean we can now include movies about a story in western France? or Argentina?

But wasn't Quiggly an American cowboy who went down under?

and to define modern, lets say, Gene Autry isn't in it. :cowboy:

I'm with Walter... define "modern"... lol

Loved the Shootist with John Wayne and Ron Howard.

Tombstone is good, better than Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner which is still ok.

Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Silverado are top notch. Quigley Down Under is something I can always watch.

The Quick and the Dead with Gene Hackman, Leo Dicaprio, Sharon Stone and Russell Crowe is a good one.

Bad Day at Blackrock with Spencer Tracy is one of my favorites.

I would go so far as to include Hildago in there on the list of modern westerns, as well as a good one at that.

Oh and for laughs you can't help but mention The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai across the 8th Dimension... :D

Do the Antonio Banderas movies like Desparado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The 13th Warrior, The Mask of Zorro, The Legend of Zorro and Assassins all count? :popcorn:

dlndavid:
But wasn't Quiggly an American cowboy who went down under?

Tom Selleck (Quigley) is a sharpshooter cowboy from the US hired to kill Aborigines in Oz.He is of unaware his new role until he arrives at the ranch, and makes immediate enemies with the villain (Alan Rickman, think DieHard). While not based in the US, it is classified as a Western, and how could it not be? It's set on a Rance (in part), and has shootouts, fantastic horseback riding, and is set in the time period of the wild west even if it's not in the US.

Not rated so well on IMDB, but it's entertaining, is done well, and has good acting, character development, and plot.

Define "Western" - most Westerns aren't. Western movies also reflect the temperment of their times, a 1953 Western is very different than that of a 1985 Western.

But, to answer the question directly, post 1970:

The Outlaw Josey Wales

"I've already got a job." Silverado.

Best all time? High Noon.

Back
Top Bottom