What's *really* wrong with Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misplaced Priority:
I wonder what type of regulator the Navy Seals or other underwater special forces use? You would think they would pick a good one.

The SEALs use the USD Conshelf XIV and Drager rebreathers…at least on my Navy Seals Buds class 234 video from the discovery channel they do…along with the older two hose setups by USD (helps them get use to the Drager setups…I guess) …any SEALs or former SEALs out there who can clarify?

That's what I understand. Depending on the op. they use a re-breather. Makes sense, they don't want a bubble trail if trying to 'sneak' up on somone or something.

I have a mares mr12 proton,ive had it over 2 years , NO COMPLAINTS at all.I love the fact that there is no user adjustable knob.I have never needed an adjustment wether I dive deep or reef.

In the eighties I bought my first wife a Dacor 950 Pacer XL. Outstanding regulator. Their products were great until they got on the plastic bandwagon.

As far as Mares, 4 years ago I bought an MR12 DFC/Proton for my wife. Out of the box breathed like a 1st generation Air2. Overhauled the Proton, still not suitable as anything but a Pony/Octo reg but the DFC first stage is great and now bears my G250 2nd stage as a great combination. IP is quite stable at all tank pressures on the Mares DFC and only drops about 5 PSI with the G250 in full free flow. All of my Scubapro first stages will drop to about 110 just inhaling.
Did some testing with an IP gauge and found my SP Mk10 is not well balanced at all (my Mk5 and Mk 7's put it to shame, and this was immediatley after being "professionally" serviced at my local SP dealer)
SP's own specs put the IP at 125-145 at 300-3000 which is about the same as an old 1963 Nemrod unbalanced Snark 2 in my collection, granted the Mk10 has higher flow rates. Another reg that did surprisingly well in my simple tests (Observing intermediate pressure on tanks at 3000 and 300 PSI, static and while free flowing) was a 1981 Sherwood Magnum first stage I picked up in trade years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom