What's *really* wrong with Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares regs are ok for the most part I use a MR16 Voltrex as my "Quarry reg" most of the time as I use Apeks now for the other stuff...The major problem at least in the US is the horrible Mares service to your LDS and to you the end user as a result...I have yet to go into my MR 16 and it is six years old so it is quite dependable....hummm...maybe it is time to break it down did'nt realize it was that old..

That the govt. uses something absolutely does not mean it's all that great; meeting the wickets on a procurement spec does not necessarily guarantee performance (other than that it meets the precise spec).

think low bidder on this one...
Misplaced Priority:
I wonder what type of regulator the Navy Seals or other underwater special forces use? You would think they would pick a good one.

Yea I guess things have changed. Back when I was in a special ops unit, we had the best of the best stuff money couldn't buy. Thats why we kicked ***** and didn't bother taking names.

asaara:
What Dacor products do you miss? I've heard that Dacor regs *before* they got together weren't particularly great, not so much about their other products though.
Then you heard wrong. I loved my Pacer XL and hated to give it up when I couldn't get parts for it any longer. I know a lot of other people who feel the same way. I have a buddy that had a Dacor with "parts for life" and got screwed because parts are no longer available. When she complained to the company she was told the warranty was for the "normal" life of the product, not her entire life. What a load of crap, the reg was about 5 years old!
Due to Mares treatment of the Dacor brand and it's customers, I and many other people refuse to buy their products. However, there was a time when they made good products.
C-Dawg

I own a Mares Abyss and it is an excellent reg. I don't like all the knobs and dials for adjustment, just something more to go wrong. I dive mostly in the cold deep great lakes and it has performed perfectly and has never failed me!

Proton Ice - love it. Super light, reliable and I just can't seem to kill it. It will probably be like one of those old import quarter ton pickups that everybody likes to make fun of but are still going strong at 250,000 miles. Just keep changing the oil.

I dive a pair of Abyss' and an MR12. I think they're great regs, and I plan to buy a few more Abyss'. I like the no knobs philosophy- just breathe. The Abyss is pretty simple and bulletproof. I service my own regs, so the annuals are a little cheaper for me.

I have APEX regs for a couple of reasons. 1) Easy to fix. I can do it myself. 2) parts available without getting raped on the price. 3) The work very, very well. ( OK, 3 reasons )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom