What's *really* wrong with Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asaara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've sucked more air through their regs than all other brands combined (mostly Aqualung, Beuchat, probably Cressi-sub, and "I never really looked at what the rental counter gave me" - no Sherwood, Poisedon, or anything else that would particularly stand out shape-wise, no Apeks either, doubtful about Tusa), they *all* seem to leak air when not in your mouth, the only apparent difference to me is that Mares regs aren't adjustable to try and stop that...however when adjusting, say, an Aqualung, I tend to notice that I've had it on the "low flow" setting the entire time I was diving anyway, and I can only switch it to the "leak more" position, which tends to make the existence of the knob not particularly useful.

As everyone always says the reason for leaks is that they haven't been serviced properly, is it safe to assume that if they were done "right", that they'd all also not-leak equally, as well? I know Mares parts kits tend to be more expensive than other brands, and have heard various complaints about hose stiffness (though never noticed a problem myself, possibly because I'm just used to it), and the issues with them buying out Dacor (personally, the thought of breathing from something that's got the same name as my stovetop doesn't appeal to me, so calling Dacor products something else so far hasn't caused me a great deal of upset), but are there any real *functional* problems with them, rather than just opinions? (subjective reports of "breathes hard", "breathes wet", etc. count as functional rather than opinions!)

Personally, I like 'em, they feel nice and solid, they come with a *real* octopus rather than a hockey puck thing (having dealt with Apple hockey puck mice, my performance expectations for things shaped like hockey pucks but aren't are not exactly the highest, and sucking on them seems to confirm this - I've always found Mares octos to breathe as well if not better than the primary on any given set, they seem extremely common, so presumably even if the parts are more expensive, there should be plenty of people who know how to service them...?

Granted, I do remember hearing good things about the Abyss, but aside from that model, and valid-only-in-North-America Aqualung/Scubapro warranties (still don't understand how "free parts for life" only means "free parts every other year of your life"...), what's up with shops seeming to treat them (stocking and recommending, anyhow, they don't seem to have issues with renting them) like Cousin Joe at the dinner party that just got out of the psych ward last tuesday?

There nothing wrong with them. I never used user-adjustment dials on other brands: I don't feel they are needed if you have a well balanced/serviced reg, and they tend to be set wrong anyway (at least when I use them). I've taken my Mares Ice regularly down to 200' with no problems and will be ice diving with it over winter.

I think it comes down to that Scubapro, Apeks etc, have marketed their regs as a premium product more successfully than Mares – but they all make excellent regs: The apparent superiority of a given regulator often comes down to microscopic differences in breathing-resistance machine tests that have no real world effect and are reported in not-unbiased mags that tend to give the products of their major advertising partners glowing reviews. Having dived a wide range of regs I don’t feel there’s any significant difference between any top of the line reg at depth - they all do a fairly good job of delivering air.

BTW: shop staff are also not unbaised when it comes to suggesting gear or training...

Cheers,
Rohan.

There is nothing wrong with Mares Regs; in South Africa however there service kits are really expensive compared with some of the other brands; ScubaPro service kits for instance are almost half the price. Something to consider when buying a reg seeing as you need to service the reg at least once a year or more if you dive a lot.

You will also need to buy the Mares 1st Stage seat seperately at a similar cost to the service kit if you seat is gone.

I'm with Drew52 on this one. My last Reg service in South Africa cost the equivalent of almost $80, almost all of the cost was the service kit. If any of the Mares guys read this site, can you explain why Divetek charge so much for the kits here, when the other manufacturers are so much less?

I'm thinking of buying another reg set, but I'm leaning towards Scubapro because of the cheaper services...

My Scubapro regs don't leak. Way back in the dark ages I has US Divers (Aqualung) & that didn't leak. I recently used some Aqualung rental rigs that didn't leak.

I've never used a Mares but people speak well of them, so I suspect you've used ones that are not properly serviced & tuned.

Mares makes some good stuff. I don't have a problem with them. I do have a problemw with the way they as a company have driven the Dacor brand into the ground.

Scottri:
Mares makes some good stuff. I don't have a problem with them. I do have a problemw with the way they as a company have driven the Dacor brand into the ground.

What Dacor products do you miss? I've heard that Dacor regs *before* they got together weren't particularly great, not so much about their other products though.

I don't really miss Dacor but I'm angry that I can't get parts for customer's older Dacor regulators. I think what Dacor builds now is pretty much crap. I just hate that I have to scrounge for parts for perfectly good older Dacor regs.

Back
Top Bottom