What's On Your 'hot Topic' List?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Again, research I've done with hundreds of non-divers clearly indicates that swashbuckling pirates and skulls and sharks and other "adventure" signals actually turn 4-6 people off for every 1-2 they attract."

2 Of the biggest draws in diving are coral reefs, and wrecks. After that, at a guess (and at times associated with wrecks), are seeing 'big stuff' (e.g.: sharks, the goliath grouper aggregation) and 'macro.' (e.g.: nudibranch lovers, anemone shrimp photographers, etc...) and finally spear fishermen. I have have the order of #'s wrong on some (& I'm leaving out technical diving, cave diving, etc...).

Not all of those sound like big, bold, 'where no man has gone before' type activities (unless your wreck guys want to do penetrations, or go technical and maybe pursue the Andrea Doria). They sound somewhat like...

1.) People who tour botanical gardens and like flower beds/decorative landscaping (coral reef divers).

2.) History buffs, the shorts who might like using metal detectors at old cemeteries in the woods (wreck divers). The military aspect of many wrecks is important to some.

3.) Animal/nature lovers - not just hunters, but people who enjoy seeing deer, moose, bear, elk, etc...in the wild (think land tours of Alaska, or people who go to zoos or wild-life parks). (Big animal encounters).

4.) Bug collectors and some land-macro photographers (the macro UW photographer).

My main 'pre-diving' interest was field herping - I enjoyed seeking out reptiles, some some extent amphibians and other wild animals, in the wild and photographing (& hand-catching) them for photographs. I liked snakes, various turtle species, etc... So diving, I like moray eels, barracuda, sharks, sea turtles...basically turtles plus anything with teeth or otherwise powerful (e.g.: sting rays, jelly fish).

How you'd go about marketing to those groups, of whether it would be worthwhile to do so, I don't know. For the reptile aficionado crowd, I wonder what a scuba booth at the large reptile convention like the annual Captive Reptile Breeder's Expo. in Daytona Beach, Fl, might stir up?

Have any of those of you in the dive industry tried marketing directly to a 'non-traditional group' like the above? If so, how'd it go?

Richard.

P.S.: Diver and customer, not a business owner, but interested none-the-less.

One thing to remember is everyone dives for different reasons and there is something for everyone. Some dive for adventure and travel, others love photography, some are into history of wrecks, some only want to see sharks, others a challenge of cave diving, even others search for treasure.

Think about all of the possible other hobbies then ask can you do it underwater?

Back
Top Bottom