Whats normal on a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently did some diving on Australia's GBR. First time ever on a dive boat setup for 50 divers or more. Definitely not my style of diving. Max bottom time 40 minutes. Dive 1-2 surface interval only 10 minutes.
It seems ive been well spoiled diving in the pacific with max numbers 14 per boat.
So what is the normal scenario around the world ?

Must be 14 - 21 pax per boat as what we are doing here in Maldives

I recently did some diving on Australia's GBR. First time ever on a dive boat setup for 50 divers or more. Definitely not my style of diving. Max bottom time 40 minutes. Dive 1-2 surface interval only 10 minutes.
It seems ive been well spoiled diving in the pacific with max numbers 14 per boat.
So what is the normal scenario around the world ?
I did a 3 dive trip on one of those boats, it was frantic and i kid you not i just got out of the water and took off my tank and they called the next dive. i literally never even got dry.
They have a lot of banked nitrox and they are slick due to having to deal with large numbers, I wouldn't t do it again - it was not very relaxing - depths are no more than 16m -20m usually,
admittedly i spent longer in the water then others but even so by the time i did my last dive there was no food left as the divers doing a 2 dive trip had gone back for seconds and thirds, fortunately my buddy had seen what was going on had grabbed some sandwiches and hid them for me - ended up sharing some food with crew

Must be 14 - 21 pax per boat as what we are doing here in Maldives

But the Maldivian dhonis are so comfortable, easy to organize oneself as the diver and generally organized as to the dives and dive groups entering and exiting the water. I don't think it is the same as Frosty's experience.

How did they even get everyone's tanks switched over in 10 minutes?

They?

Switching from an empty to a full tank is a diver responsibility.

Not on all boats. Personally I would rather change my own but that is not universal. Even if changed by someone else, I would still carry out a full check on the tank, reg, etc pre dive.

Totally agree.

My kit, my life, my responsibility.

Yes, agree have you been diving here in Maldives?

Yes, 4 times, off of a liveaboard. Two main itineraries and once south and once exploratory north. The north route is probably not exploratory anymore. Heehee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom