Whats normal on a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sort of tough to change out a tank in the water.

Easy: you pass the kit up, have a bathroom break while the minions swap the tank, then they throw your BC back in

Easy: you pass the kit up, have a bathroom break while the minions swap the tank, then they throw your BC back in
Everything's doable. Nothing's easy. Not at 65 anyway.

Why wait til the if you gotta go?

That's not the issue. The issue is to peel off your suit and pull it back again afterwards, without getting back on the boat.

That's not the issue. The issue is to peel off your suit and pull it back again afterwards, without getting back on the boat.

Why peel off your suit to pee? That's what the rinse buckets are for.

There's two kinds of divers in the world... Seriously, though, just because you can't smell it, that doesn't mean rinse buckets work.

There was a group of us diving one time, we finished our afternoon dive, we were headed back to the rental house in the rental SUV with all the gear piled in, the car got heated up from the sun before we hopped in for the drive, and the stench of piss was so bad we barely made it back home.

Assume you've never read my pee hose posts.

For me it's not the number of divers on the boat, but the number relative to the size of the boat. Here on Grand Cayman I regularly go with Red Sail whose boats take up to 24 divers - some of the larger boats on the island. The most I've experienced was 20, but even with a full boat we have more space and it feels much less crowded that the many 6 - 8 max boats I've gone with when they are full. And Red Sail breaks the groups up by skill level and gas (nitrox vs air) to where we usually have about 5 - 6 people per DM group - no larger and often smaller that the one group on the smaller boats - where we are limited by the least skilled divers. Regarding 10 min SI, I've never experienced that short an interval anywhere in the world, usually at least 45 min. But I dive nitrox to max my dive time just in case. And if I think SI will be short I might shallow up a bit on my first dive (which here on GC is almost always a deep wall dive - 100 ft/ 30 m) and stay closer to the top of the wall at about 15 - 18 m. I usually get 60-75 minutes on my second shallow (18 m ) dive (I try to go with dive ops that let us dive our gas/ndl limits not the dive op's rushed schedule) and I'd be pretty unhappy if a short SI limited by dive to half that.

Dove with Red Sail this morning. 2 divers on a boat kitted for 24. That is probably not normal. My instabuddy was sitting in a different time zone.

Back
Top Bottom