What's more expensive, Grand Cayman or Turks and Caicos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
From a stand point of boat diving costs, lodging and food (casual food). Which one is more expensive? I noticed that the Cayman Dollar is 1.2 US Dollars so I wonder if that affects the cost of things. For example, a dive listed at CID$100 is actually USD$120.

Thanks for helping.

From your list, I only have experience with Grand Cayman. Yes, the exchange rate hurts. Plus, like any other island, everything is brought in my ship. It's pricey, but we continue to go there because the diving is great, everything is relatively nice and convenient, people are nice, English is the local language. If you're trying to save a buck or two, buy groceries, eat breakfast and lunch in your condo, even two or three evening meals in the condo if possible. This will save a bunch. If you're still tight, don't boat dive, shore dive. There's lots of good shore diving on Grand Cayman: Cobalt Coast, Turtle Reef, Light House, Devil's Grotto, ... just to name a few.

One year we hired a local dive guide for a couple of days to show us where some of the lesser known shore entries were. It paid dividends for several years. Some development and hurricane damage has taken away a few spots, but renting tanks is a lot cheaper than paying for a boat dive. But if you've never been, don't skip boat dives if you can afford it.

THanks Insta-Gator, this is helpful. Hopefully other will chime in also.

Thanks

FWIW most web sites quote dives USD. And 80 to 100 USD are common fees. I did pay 120 USD one time and still felt I got a good value. Also one of my favorite eats is chicken chicken which is the Boston market of grand cayman. A value hotel is sunshine suites which is the other side of the street but right in the middle of seven mile beach. Gater is spot on with beach dives. In short it can be done at a decent price. Couldn't tell you about T&C, but I would highly recommend cayman.

Can only comment in Provo T&C. They do use dollars so that makes it simple. Provo intentionally caters to the rich tourists so generally everything is expensive compare to U.S. and somewhat to other islands. Diving is excellent and dive prices are posted on dive ops web sites. It's about a 40 minute boat ride from south harbor to the wall sites so the fuel cost contributes to the dive cost. Accommodations on the beach are going to be pricey but there is the Ports of Call Resort (not really a resort) used to be Comfort Suites (relatively new construction) that probably has more down to earth pricing as they are across the street form the beach and centrally located in Grace Bay area. Most restaurants are high end but if you work at it you can find the few that are also more down to earth. A nice IGA is next to the a fore mentioned resort with prices about double the mainland. Taxis are not metered and will be expensive. You have to weigh walking to the area restaurants most of which will be upscale and expensive v.s. taxi or rental car to go further. Rental cars will start around $38/day plus taxes etc. and your close to $500/week. The dive ops will pick you up from any Grace Bay hotel/resort.

Check out things on Grand Turk rather than Provo. Grand Turk is much more low key, with small hotels but several very good dive operations. The island is what Cayman and the rest of the Carrib. were in the 1970's. Diving is great, think it is my favorite. One could swim from the beach over the reef to the wall, but give me the boat every time.

Cayman - but not by much...

Boat dives are pretty standard at 2/$100. Some of the operators offer multi-day packages.

Other shore dive options not mentioned above:
(mostly north->south)
Cemetary Beach
Eden Rock
Cheeseburger Reef
Sunset House
Smith's Cove
Babylon - NE - about an hour from SMB.

Tanks are available at Divers Supply in West Bay or Eden Rock. None of the other operators will let you remove them from the premises.

I don't think there's any shore diving on Provo. As mentioned you can swim out to the wall off Grand Turk.

Dive operators will pick you up anywhere along Seven Mile Beach on Cayman. One trip we only rented a car those days that we needed it. Andy's is on SMB and will pick you up. You can drop the car at the airport.

Lodging is also pretty expensive either place. There's also a Comfort Suites along Seven Mile Beach, it's across the street from the beach so more reasonable. They also have kitchens/ette's in just about every suite. We travel as a small group so can usually make condos work out more reasonably - closer to Georgetown some are slightly cheaper.

One advantage for food Cayman has is more of the U.S. chains are there for a quick lunch etc. There's a couple of Subways, Burger King, Hard Rock Cafe, Dominos etc. I didn't see anything like that on Provo - but we weren't looking either

Most of the on-water restaurants are pretty pricey either place also. Menu's for some if you follow the links - the ones that don't list prices - you get the idea...:wink: http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/

Last edited:
heading to GC for the first time in November but in comparison to Curacao everything has been a little bit cheaper. lodging for us is about $30 per night cheaper, car is about the same and airfare was a lot cheaper. we are also getting a free breakfast since we are staying at a B&B.

of course we are going in off season so that may affect the price somewhat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom